1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Top 5 Games With the Best Music

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Phone_Tools, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Ok, another top 5 post here... this time it's what are your top five favorite games in terms of their music. Something i've noticed is for me most of them are rpg's. Here's my list:
    1. Baldur's Gate 1.
    I can't think about BG withought thinking about the awesome music, the music in that game was amazing. BG 2 had really good music too.

2. Warcraft 2
    Even though i'm not a big classical music fan i seriously think this game had one of the greatest scores ever written. If you put in your warcraft 2 disk into a cd player it will play the soundtrack.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Ok this game's music was really catchy (guredo valley!)

4. Everquest
    The music was really good, even though it got repetative.

5. The Elder Scrolls: Redgaurd
    Mainly I just really love the intro song (that it plays during installation) and in the game too. Overall it had good music.

[ October 29, 2005, 10:06: Message edited by: Phone_Tools ]

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

1-Icewind Dale (Jeremy Soule does good work)
    2-FF series (orchastrated versions from 7 are great)
    3-Warcraft and Diablo
    4-Vampire: Bloodlines
    5-startrek games - what can i say...?

Obviously, these are the games whose music i can actually recall as being pretty good at the moment. I'm sure that there is plenty out there that i'm flat out not thinking of right now. Maybe if someone mentions one that I've neglected i'll edit my choices.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Can't answer this question the first thing I do in any game is turn the music off and concentrate on the game.

I always have the radio on or my muti-chnge cd player to provide comfortable noise so that I'm aware superficially of time passing, otherwise I don't notice it.

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

1. Icewind Dale 1&2
    2. Painkiller
    3. Quake 2
    4. Guilty Gear X
    5. Dungeon Siege

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The only two games where I actually listen to the music are GTA: Vice City and GTA: San Andreas, since that's proper music, rather than just background stuff.

6. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    What about Total Annihilation or the Tom Clancy games? Those had great music and you gotta love those orchestral scores.

7. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Icewind dale 1&2
    Planescape Torment
    The Dig
    Grim Fandango
    Baldur's gate 2

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

1. Icewind Dale - absolutely stunning music throughout, particularly the Easthaven score.
    2. Icewind Dale 2 - A very close second.
    3. Jedi Knight - Anything Star Wars is good ;)
    4. Red Dead Revolver - what can I say? I love the spaghetti western feel :)
    5. Fable & Morrowind - I know that's two, but I coulldn't decide between them.

I'm sure there are others, and I'll change my list if I remember.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

1. Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2
    2. Tetris
    3. Dungeon Siege
    4. IWD
    5. Castlevania 2

10. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

1. Dune 1
    I bought this game on Ebay just to get the music. The background for House Atreides is gloriously sinister.

2. The Babylon 5 game that Sierra never finished.
    The game's six-minute title theme is on a CD that Sierra released with the B5 Encyclopedia. Another product I bought just for the music.

3. Gabriel Knight series
    They composed a short opera for the second game. An OPERA, for goodness' sake! And the music in GK1 and GK3 was wonderfully atmospheric.

4. Thief 1
    There's very little music in the game, but what little there is stands apart.

5. Quest for Glory V
    I got the soundtrack CD with the QfG I-IV collection, and though I've long lost the collection CD, I've kept safe the QfGV soundtrack. Excellent Mediterranean feel.

Honorable Mention: Lords of Magic
    This was a dreadful game with an excellent score.

I'll admit that I'm surprised to see the IWD games on so many of our lists. I really enjoy IWD2 and still play it, but I was seriously underwhelmed by the music. Even ToEE did a better job -- in fact, sometimes I've put the ToEE music on in the background while playing IWD2.

11. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Loom - I surprised no one's mentioned this yet. Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake fit the game perfectly.
    Planescape: Torment - Very well done IMHO, it made the game that much more immersive.
    Toonstruck - I happen to like the classical, cartoony soundtrack, it reminds me of Tom & Jerry
    FF series - Very memorable and well done, Final Fantasy would not have been as successful without the great music.
    Legend of Kyrandia series - I liked it and I think it fits the game excellently

Honourable mention:
    Thief - There wasn't much music here, but when there was, I liked it.

Most of this is probably apocryphal, but only because I am away from my games right now.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Heroes of Might and Magic II
    Icewind Dale I
    Baldurs Gate I
    Final Fantasy VII
    Secret of Mana

Honorable mention: the intro tune of Civilization I, amazing what they did with IBM sounds.

I realise that some of these are quite old but for their time, and actually still, they were absolutely fantastic.

I recommend checking this site out for some variations on your favourite games. Some are pretty awesome.

OC remix

13. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

1. Torment
    2. Fallout
    3. Mega Man 2 (don't look at me like that)
    4. Fallout Tactics
    5. Icewind Dale (the first one, the sequel had some pretty awful overblown crap)

14. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Final Fantasy series; Good music real good music
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time; muchly goodly
    Icewind dale I; Wow Jeremy soul rock
    Baldur's Gate 2; I wish I had the soundtrack
    Vampire the masquerade: Bloodline; Meh Vampire music good.

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    There's only one I like the music on and that's Carmageddon: Carpocalypse Now. All Iron Maiden songs :)

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Dune 1. The soundtrack by Exxos is awesome. Too bad it was so hard to find even when the game was released.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father. Playing this game without wavetable synthesis is a real shame. The piano piece in the final sequence is brilliant.

Heroes of Might and Magic II. The opera piece are really good. Special mention for the Sorceress town.

The Dig. In fact I think this would win my vote for best game soundtrack ever, although it would be a close one. I used to continuously take the underwater subways for no reason other than hear the music :D

Loom. Although it's hard to say "the game's music is good" since the music is the game.

Honorbale mention goes to Quake. Although Trent Reznor's music is not something I listen to for fun, I have to admit it's very good, and in Quake he's done something quite unique.

Another honorable mention goes to Unreal. The music fits the various moods of the game perfectly.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Warcraft II: Peak of game music perfection at the time of release.

Dune II: (Can't recall Dune I soundtrack -- any links, anyone?), amazing, immersing... flashy high-tech music in new games doesn't achieve nearly the same effect.

IE games, all of them. IWD1 and ToB most notably, but all of them qualify.

All Star Wars Games qualify by definition.

Honourable mention for Blackmoon Chronicles and games based on the Europa Universalis engine (probably excluding the original Europa Universalis I and can't vouch for those I haven't played yet) and Command & Conquer series, Neverwinter Nights.

Disclaimer: Haven't played Morrowind yet. :p

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

DIABLO!!!! - big fan of 12 string guitars, and that theme song in Tristram is soooo much fun to play as a warm up song before gigs.

Heroes of Might & Magic 2 - Brilliant, best soundtrack in whole series.

Warcraft 2 - Outstanding soundtrack, well composed.

Diablo 2 - Three Blizzard games here already, sense a pattern? ;)

Final Fantasy VII - Some very, very fine pieces here. An epic soundtrack.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

wb Takara :)

no particular order:

PS:T
    SW: KotOR
    BG series
    IWD series
    FF series

technically it's not 5, but so what ;)

20. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Not sure that I can name five. Hmmm. Ok, in no particular order:

~ Halo 2 <Xbox>

~ IWD II <PC>

~ BG I & II <PC>

Hmmm. Seems like that's it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.