1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ToEE² Rumors?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Mr. Clean, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Mr. Clean Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Has anyone heard anything about plans for ToEE2 or similar game? :eek: ToEE left me wanting more from this genre.

Please post any rumors here. :)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are no rumours about ToEE 2, which pretty much says how likely a sequel is. Considering the rapidity with which the game went to the bargain bin, a sequel is highly unlikely.

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If you want more from this genre, why not just go and buy the BG games? Five years after they came out people still talk about whereas interest in TOEE has waned in just the short amount of time it's been out.

4. Greywulfken Gems: 1/31

Or, check out the Neverwinter Nights game - it has the 3E rules, which is closer to what ToEE has (the BG games are 2E, right?), and with NWN, you can access their toolset and create your own characters, adventures, items, and more.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, for convenience's sake, play IWD II, because it is a 3rd edition dungeon crawl. That will get you used to the infinity engine amd unlock a world of whimsy and adventure for you.

As far as TOEE goes, rumors are(from PC gamer I think) that the designers of TOEE want to do more classic modules, like war against the giants and stuff, but nothing official yet.

7. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I enjoyed ToEE, though it seems I was one of the few. I agree that if you haven't played the Baldur's Gate saga, go out and get 'em. They come all in one now. It's very satisfying and has a much deeper plot then ToEE. I would like to see a sequel myself, but considering the overall opinion of the game, i don't see it happening. Neverwinter Nights (which i just started playing) is simply incredible, but make sure you got the cpu and graphics power to back it up. It isn't a party-based game though if that's what you're looking for. Want to make all your characters? Go for IwD 2. Want more plot, romances, and continuation go for the BG series. My opinion? Play all the little buggers!

8. Largon Thunderhorn Gems: 1/31

I went through NWN when it first came out. I've been away for awhile, but when I was playing it everyone was bashing it, despite the great reviews. I thought it was fun. At the time, tho, only one of the NPCs was really worth taking, which I thought was unfortunate.

Has the consensus opinion on it changed?

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What has this got to do with ToEE? You're asking in the wrong forum...

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Atari reps don't reply to any of Steve Moret's queries about patch 2 for ToEE1, so I doubt there's any chance they would treat ToEE2 seriously. It's like it was with IWD2: buy the game and get lost. No expansion, no patch. Doesn't matter that basic functions are bugged and popular options aren't working.

11. david w Gems: 19/31

At the end of the day IWD2 is still a fairly reasonable game. TOEE is just one big bugfest (even with the latest patch installed) and impossible to get any kind of enjoyment out of.

I doubt there'll be a TOEE2 and, if there is, I certainly won't be buying it.

12. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think that it is the good old "realistic" turn based combat that sux mega big in this and POR. If they could get rid of that garbage I'd bother to play it more. Takes 1 hour for a single battle. Crap...

13. david w Gems: 19/31

It also looks corny as hell. One of my characters runs past half a dozen enemies (who don't react in any way), hits an enemy, then runs back to his place in line. Then my next character does the same thing. Next an enemy comes rushing forward, bypasses two party members within easy striking distance, and goes for my cleric standing right at the back. The cleric, even though he can see the enemy approaching and has ample time to react, stands there and does nothing as the enemy gets closer... closer... and then the cleric is dead. None of my party members seem unduly bothered by this as they all stand around calmly as the enemy makes his way back to his place in line.

Sheesh!!!

Whoever thought turn-based combat was a good idea in a game like this needs shooting.

Twice.

14. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I have to admit.

For Pen&Paper, you just cannot beat Infinity. The only thing you could possibly do is add-on to Infinity with some kind of "camera mode". Similar to what Railroad Tycoon3 uses. You can tell RT3 to "don't ever adjust the camera, ever, even if there's 80 trillion monkeys threatening to fling stuff at you from the top of the mast pole and dip you in tar and feathers, afterwards" and it will do just that. It won't touch the camera; it'll just give you status reports.

tToEE2 could be pretty cool. They'd have to expand the game to include more area (I want at least another 2 towns to be able to go to). And they'd need to just start with the Infinity Engine, and do something with it. Like I was saying, a cool 3d thing would be neat, as long as you could zoom completely out and all the way in (to a third-person-perspective, ala Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia). The best of 2d and 3d worlds would be the pinnacle of a P&P roundtable session.

The Arcanum Engine just ain't gonna make it.

15. Mr. Clean Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Those of you who do not like turn-based combat should stick to real-time games. Games like ToEE and POR appeal to those of us who have played tabletop D&D and appreciate strategy vs. a mindless whack-fest.

I do not believe that one genre of game sucks or is somehow superior; it is simply a matter of taste. To go to a ToEE forum and insult the turn-based genre is pointless. Why waste your time reading and posting to forums of games you admittedly dislike? :mad:
    For that matter, who buys and plays games belonging to a genre they do not like? I’m not into golf, so I don’t buy golf games, and I don’t post to golf game forums.

16. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] With the new patch coming up, is it actually worth buying now? Just wondering.

17. david w Gems: 19/31

This *is* a genre I like. BG2 is my favourite game; BG1 is a close second. I even got some enjoyment out of playing IWD1 & 2 and NWN and its expansions. Same for Diablo, Divine Divinity, Dungeon Siege, etc. But POR was really bad. And TOEE was almost as dire.

Part of me had kind of hoped that after the mess that POR turned out to be, turn-based combat would have died out in games like this. But sadly not. Oh well, next time I see a game which has turn-based combat I'll avoid it like the plague.

18. Crono1000 Gems: 1/31

I'm in freakin' love with ToEE, even after beating it several times. I love turn based, and this to whoever replied that they don't like the attacking and return to original position has been misinformed about it's turnbased-ness for lack of a better word- it has attack of oppurtunity and they stay there. It's much more realistic and so much more fun for me than real time for me, battles can be like reading a good book, and create for some very enthralling battles. I loved the battles in ToEE, they were perfectly timed and have given me so many stories that I remember, and that hasn't happened for me since the Starcraft days.

if there was a ToEE2- I'd be the first in line.

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I loved the turn-based combat system in TOEE, and the graphics were pretty cool too! The biggest downfall were the changes made late in the game to eliminate...Objectionable...material so it could be sold at Walmart and the terrible QA prior to shipping the game to market.

If they had taken their time with it, we'd probably be hearing about a sequel already!!!

20. Mr. Clean Gems: 1/31

[​IMG]
    Just a quick note, I was refering to the genre of Turn-Based RPGs (ToEE, POR, etc.), not the Real-Time RPG genre (BG1 & BG2, IWD, NVN, etc.).

ToEE and BG are NOT in the same genre.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.