1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Today's Gaming Generation

Discussion in 'Playground' started by War Nerve, May 3, 2005.

1. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

The following is a personal assertion of how I feel about today's gamers, wrong or right:

With regards, of course, to the type of game played, whether it's a Counter-Strike crowd or a Chess crowd, it seems that in today's multiplayer games there is more of a consistant "I want things my way 100% of the time"-type mentality. When a kiddie (I have a difficult time believing there is a collective group of adults large enough to fit into this category) replies "OMFG", whenever he, heaven forbid, dies, doesn't get the best piece of equipment, et cetera, I can't help but shake my head and make adamant attempts to avoid him altogether in the future, which is why so many games seem to have been ruined by their playerbases alone. Honestly, this seems to be a downward trend; I don't remember such blatant immaturity 10 years ago.

In my opinion, this is the very reason so many here love games steered more towards single player; the world is wholly ours. If there's a certain item or quest we want, we can casually work on what it takes to get it on a fitting timescale for our schedules without needing to compete (or team) with those who can afford to spend 8 hours a day on games perfecting their "l337 skillz0rz".

Thoughts?

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

:toofar:
    My guess is you just got raped by some 1337 cs'ers or somerthing. I have been playing cs/ut04 for a long time now and none of that bull**** bothers me. You don't need to play a game for 8 hours a day to become good at it.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i think that I classify myself under the "current generation" of gamers (I'm 20 and I started playing computer games with BG :D ) and, speaking for myself, I have to disagree.

I played cs when it came out, for around 3 months, and imo all that lame swearing and stuff was part of "the experience". The fact that I tend to prefer single player RPG games such as BG and even FF just reflects my preference of a good story over a multiplayer gamefest.

4. War Nerve

Pfft. You're assuming that my post is, rather than an attempt to discuss today's gamers, a reaction to a loss. That's both an incorrect and an annoying presumption.

In FPS games, no, you don't. However, try telling that to anyone who's involved in a game such as a popular MMORPG, where being "good" revolves around the time spent in the game.

5. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Surely this is to be expected as more people get online and are able to play multiplayer. More people have access to dialup and broadband which means more people will be online. Take it back a few years and it's only the gamers (or 'geeks') who tinkered with computers and used the internet for gaming.

With the birth of non mud/text based MMORPG's - which are only going to survive and profit by simplifying and pandering to the needs of the majority, and since the majority has now shifted to everyone and anyone you are more likely to encounter people who really think that speaking in l337 sp4k makes them 'c001er'. As more people adopt these attitudes it's going to become harder to break out of this trend, new players will be taught that l337 sp4k and obnoxious whining is the way to game. It's a shame but it's the price payed for a more open gaming community.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I do not know what you are speaking of, but I guess that is because I do not play Counter-Strike. It's repetitive, it's one-kills-all, and it's a no-brainer... So is a wonder that people whine and lame to pass by some time in a game they do not know how to quit? The same happened to me in another game: got hooked, played it quite a lot, it changed (to worse), and I should had just quit instead of whined.

My guess is that these people need to pull out the plug and find something else.

7. teekc Gems: 23/31

What does OMFG means, really? There were the 1337 users whose 1337 language actually has meaning; There are the 1337 n00bs whose 1337 language actually means nothing, at all, nihil. Think about it, after every dead you get OMFG, every dead, OMFG, do this repeatative OMFG actually means anything? If it does mean something, it is just the reflexes of a who just died. i have my fair share of cs too. To me seeing OMFG is just like hearing "go go go", "you take the point", "negative" etc, no meaning at all.

We can never expect others to be mature; likewise, we can never expect others to be immature (a bit zen eh?). The idea is, i as an individual has actually has no control over what is not me. All i can do, as a good boy scout, is to be prepared. Be prepared for selecting information i want to receive, in this case.

This has nothing to do with gamers today, really. See, 200 years ago, i am sure, the Indians hunting bisons on the high plains OMFG a lot too. The French who fought the so called Jerries OMFG a lot too. If you pay attention to the slow motion replay, Roy Keane and Eric Cantona OMFG in every close up, typical of Manchester united players.

Again, you cannot control others, but you can control youself.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

You must be truly bad at the game to say something like that. The only people that have a bad word to say about CS are the ones that cannot play it. When you are good at it, it is fun, addictive, and rewarding!

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What does this mean? No amount of phonetic manipulation can reveal to me the meaning of this phrase. I'm stumped.

[Literally, it means "elite skills" - BTA]

[ May 04, 2005, 06:28: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Thanks BTA, always wondered what that meant. Still can't seem to find a logical link to the phrase l337 though :confused:

11. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Interesting thread I'd have to say I agree with you. I have just installed DSL at home after waiting for about 4 years for my telephone exchange to be enabled. I had my second session of Counter Strike last night.
    As a "noob" I am getting killed more than I'm killing. I am only just begining to learn a couple of the maps. So as you can imagine the chances of me being the last alive and having to defuse a bomb are quite small.
    This happened last night - I was trying to defuse the bomb but could'nt get there in time. Some pr*ck pipes up and messages something along the lines of "what this stupid w**k*r playing at" he then expands about the fact that there are so many idiots on this server. I gave him a little bit of mild abuse back, and he disconnected! Did this guy stroll into his first game knowing how to play exactly? and did he expect me to take his criticism without response?
    I was a bit annoyed really - but then I thought this is probably some spotty 16 year old kid in his bedroom, with a distinct lack of a social life. So my momentary irration passed rather quickly. As I've got older I've mellowed considerably and these sort of pointless actions really amuse me more than anything else.
    There are people like this in every walk of life - the problem with the web is that you can't really choose who to play alongside.
    On the web there seems to a large portion of adolesant males who are on a pointless quest to fuel their egos and gain personal recognition. I'd normally avoid this type of person in the outside world - I just can't on the web.
    In the UK we have an organisations such as saga (don't laugh) which organise events, goods and services for the over 50s. I remember taking the p*ss out of my father for listening to their radio station a quite a few years ago. But now at 30 it does not seem like such a bad idea - I'd certainly be interested in playing on a server that caters for the more "mature" gaming population.

[ May 04, 2005, 11:37: Message edited by: Tap Dancing Oyster ]

12. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@ HB & Apeman

There's an article on it on Wikipedia, search leet or 31337. I was wondering the same thing a while ago. ;)

13. teekc Gems: 23/31

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    OMFG is not l337, it is a simple acronym... "Oh My F-ing God"

Feel free to point the :yot: at me.

15. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

That is just plain disturbing :eek:

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Buddy, listen what you are saying. :rolleyes:

And no, I do fairly well in public games, often hanging in the top-3, and against clanners I'm not too bad either. I do not play CS or other similar games due of the reasons I explained before.

17. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Those letters under my nickname are roman numerals for 1337

18. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Yeah - if you pronounce my name in Swahili - it comes out as 1337 - people just don't get it.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    SP is probably the only gaming community online where people can actually live without having to stare at |33t idiocy in half of the posts. Consider yourselves lucky I hunt down everyone using |33t here (even the relatively mild instances of it) and make them change their ways... ;)

Being able to make coherent, well-formulated, properly worded, spaced and paragraphed posts - THAT'S |33t.

20. War Nerve

Hm. I agree with you to a point; there has always been, of course, a verbal reaction to situations in different cultures, but I don't believe the extremity of the expression was so high. Was something like "OMFG" being publically said back in the '60s or the '70s? At the moment, I can think of two movies bearing that line, both made in the '90s. Blasphemy has always been around, sure, but "OMFG" seems to be a loosely used expression tied in with today's generation, including gamers.

And let me tell you, it is appreciated.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.