1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ToB not booting up with xp?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gehn, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

This is extremely frustrating! I recently got windows xp pro and now the ToB disc will not boot up on my p.c. I can't even eject it from the drive once its in, and as far as my computer is concerned the disk isn't even in the drive. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me why this is, i mean ToB predecessor (which im not supposed to say aloud on this board) works fine. Any ideas? :(

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Have you got the latest patch installed?

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Maybe it's a problem with LaserDisc or SecureROM, the two most used spyware programs to "secure" the content of disks. My guess is that they are out of date and cause your comp to malfunction.

Or then you just need to get the latest patches ;)

4. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Thanks for the speedy replies guys i appreciate it :) . I don't have the latest ToB patch so ill get that. Hope it works.

Editted>
    Ahh...a problem. I haven't installed ToB on this p.c yet, so i can't install the patches...or can i? And like i said the disk just ain't going to work for me. Heeeelp?

[ March 03, 2004, 14:33: Message edited by: Gehn ]

5. david w Gems: 19/31

Er... confused!!!

You say you're having problems with the TOB disc yet you haven't installed TOB?

6. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Thats correct. The problem i am having *is* i can't insatll the damn thing, because im having problems with the disk booting.

7. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Does every other disc you inserts work?
    Otherwise just get the latest drivers for your cdrom.

I know for a fact that XP and ToB works together since it´s what I have aswell, so for once it´s probably not windows fault. Well, it probably is but it´s not like it aint compatible.

Do you have acess to another cdrom on another computer?
    If so, insert ToB there and make sure your disc is still working.

8. Gehn Gems: 7/31

"For once its probably not a windows fault." Hehehe well that's good to hear. I'll try the driver thing, good idea. Yeah all the other disks work fine...well accept some of the really old games like Theif 2. And i tried it on another P.c too like you said, and it booted. So it can't be the disk.
    Thanks for the reply Duke :p

editted>
    Interplay forums suck! Got the latest drivers, the disk still refuses to boot up. I can't force it to boot up by using the command in run menu. When i try to take the disc out, it doesn't budge, and then when i hit ctrl alt del, and try to end task the end task program jams, then my whole p.c jams...What is going on?! My other disks are fine, so is SoA. The ToB disc is also fine. I neeed he-elp...Please?

[ March 03, 2004, 21:16: Message edited by: Gehn ]

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

A) It might be a virus

B) It might be the reason I stated before.

C) CD-Drive might be broken, or...

D) ...You have somehow managed to force a CD-ROM to floppy-drive. Please try to remove it and place the CD to CD-ROM drive. :rolleyes:

:D

10. david w Gems: 19/31

Sounds like the CD has got damaged.

(Rushes off to make those backup copies he promised himself he'd make several months ago and never got round to it.)

11. Gehn Gems: 7/31

You know what, i think you must be right David. Because i sure as nine hells can't see any other possibility.
    Ahh well, looks like im doomed. Thanks for help guys. :(

12. david w Gems: 19/31

Have you tried copying the faulty CD? Bit of a longshot but if the game file is still intact, you might be able to copy it onto a new CD and use that.

13. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Windows doesn´t even find the CD, so he cant copy it.

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I've had the same problem with the NWN CD.

A clean reboot of the PC fixed the problem. Do not start up Windows with the CD in the drive. Also, you might need to reinstall the game anyway, since a lot of things get changed when you upgrade the OS.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.