1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To the limits, and beyond of your PC

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enthasius, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Ive recently got a new PC. Its easily twice the power of my old one, and at long last, I can play Baldur's Gate II at full whack.

I was wondering if their are any other RPG's (good one's, obviously) that are capable of being played comfortably on these rough specs

1700HZ processer
    32MB graphics
    60GHZ memory
    and some really stupid amount of RAM

Im into most RPG's, preferably any other BGII nuts enjoyed.

I already have Dungeon Siege, All BG games, and IWD.

Any suggestions?
    Cheers.

[ October 08, 2002, 14:13: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I have no idea what 60 ghz memory would mean, but it does sound awfully fast.. :D

Anyway, as long as you have 256 megs of ram or more, Morrowind seems like a great idea. It should run really nice on your computer, and the graphics are incredibly pretty, so you really get to test the limits of your new machine.

3. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Try The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 & 2, or Divine Divinity. With that monster of a PC you could play just about anything. I also liked Evil Islands (although I didn't get very far into it yet, it's on the back burner for now).

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

On a little aside here, there's a fair difference between a TNT2-32meg card, and a Geforce2 Pro-32meg card.

And yeah, I'm clueless on the 60ghz ram too.

Anyways, you can probably play IwD2, Arcanum, Morrowind. NwN will probably play, but you'll have to turn down some stuff.

5. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I think he/she meant 60GB HDD.

Anyway, try DS, NWN, and Morrowind. Probably the three best new RPGs out now.

6. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

That spec will play any current PC game as far as I know.

Nothing I've seen yet has had higher requirements than NWN, and you're way beyond that.

You'll probably get 2 years before you're starting to find you're lagging behind on that score, although you might need to upgrade the graphics card before then.

Morrowind is not a bad call if you haven't got it, just be prepared to spend a LONG time getting used to it, and longer understanding what to do.

7. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

Heh, thats good to know. Ive got NWN's, but I wasn't too impressed with it (I prefer having a party of people for one thing.) So what is morrowind about, generally, and is it more action over RPG?

8. Jekknol Bok Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well, with the specs you listed you'd be lucky to run MSDOS 5.

You did say 1700 HZ, as in 1.7 KHz (.0017MHz or .0000017GHz)

;)

9. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Now here's a guy who doesn't read what his mind tells him he should read.

I bet the rest of us all saw 1700MHz.

10. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

I saw 1700HZ... :shake:

11. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I saw
    1700HZ and
    60GHZ memory

and assumed he meant
    1.7ghz and
    60GB hard drive

However I, unlike some others, was too tactful to comment on the error :D , just replied as though he had not mispelled. :cool:

[ October 09, 2002, 20:20: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

BTA did a little rant about Morrowind in another thread.

I guess it's very pretty, mostly 1st person, and "God-where-am-I?" open play. That is, you can get totally lost and sidetracked away from any of the plot-driving-elements. It's not that it's "non-linear", it's just that you have so many other things to do. It's like a MRPG (Massive Role Playing Game). :)

I hear it's highly cpu intensive, which means that 1.37ghz processor will do you ok.

13. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I got morrowind the other day. Installed it, whacked all graphics and sound up to higest quality.

The graphics were slightly jumpy (only just visible but still present) when you turn around quickly even with my AMD XP2000, 512mb ddr ram and geforce3 64mb.

Obviously you can turn the resolution down a notch (which isnt a bad idea coz the text on highest res is pretty small) but i didnt just break the bank on a new pc to be unable to play a new game at highest quality.

14. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] Yeah, alright, I'm not that great with computer terms and whatever, stop moaning for jebus' sake.

15. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I say just play Morrowind on the X-BOX. Its a better match. Plus you can lay down, pull out some cold ones and order a pizza while you walk around! A little off topic. Sorry.

16. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Grandia II. It is an awesome RPG.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.