1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To re-read or not to re-read

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] Very few of my friends and close relatives seem to re-read a book once in a while and I was wondering how people here felt about re-reading books. Personally I've (tried, unsuccesfully) re-read The lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, The dark elf trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy, Servant of the Shard (although I kinda grew out of the Drizzt scene).

Currently I'm re-reading 'A song of Ice and Fire' which stands lonely on my top list and I'm loving it more than the first time I've read it. Of course I think you *have* to read these books at least twice to remember and comprehend every bit (the appendix of at least 25 pages with solely names of characters starring in the book).

So what's your view on re-reading books?

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I do it all the time. Funny how the process of moving, with all the packing and unpacking of the library, reminds me of old favorites that are dying to be re-read.

I'm currently on my third time through Elizabeth Scarborough's "Argonia" series. :)

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hardly have time to read books once, let alone twice.

I can recall re-reading only two books - 2001: A Space Oddessy, and The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    There are books have read thuirty times otrr more you should see just how scraggly my copy of Michael A. Stackpole's "I, Jedi" is :D

as it is, I love to re-read, since, well... I tend to unintentionally gloss. It usually takes me three reads to appreciate a book fully, xince first time is "devour" second is "read" and third is "cathch the stuff I missed earlier"

:D

5. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Agree with Arabwel,
    Also with some series (Wheel of Time in particular) Each time a new book comes out you more or less have to start from book one in the series to try and remember all of the characters and their missions/history

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I dont buy many books, and the ones I dont like, I will either throw away or let gather dust. But the ones I like I re-read many many times. Some series of Star Wars novels, or LotR I 've read lots of times.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree with Splunge. There are SO many books out there that are on my 'list' to read that there is no way that I could possibly find the time to read any of them more than once. As a kid I read 'The Lord of the Rings' several times but I no longer read books more than once.

So I guess I'm going for breadth rather than depth when it comes to my book reading experience.

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hehe, Arabwel, pretty much the same here.

I rush too fast through it the first time to really appreciate all it has to offer. That's why i also like to read them more than once. Still, very rarely more than twice, unless it's something like Song of Ice and Fire, where you simply have so much to absorb that you can definitely read it twice and still not know it all.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I generally don't re-read entire books any more (used to do it a lot) unless I'm completely out of things to read. I will sometimes re-read chapters or sections in order to remember what was going on in a series.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Re-reading books doesn't work for me because of the type of my memory. Sure, many details escape me, but I remember many others photographically, which disturbs me.

11. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

books are your friends! you can't just leave them, never to be picked up again. when confronted with my collection (several thousand and growing) many people ask me if i've ever heard of joining a library....... trouble is, i like to read and reread and reread and reread. if i don't like the book in that kind of way, it generally ends up in a charity bin.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, books are your friends. But in the library, they can have many more friends than if they are stuck on my dusty shelf at home. And I can afford to have more 'friends' if I use the library

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I reread books that I like quite frequently. I remember most of what is going to happen but that is no different than rewatching a movie or tv show.

A book is a piece of art and like any other piece of art each time you look at it you see it a little differently.

My most read book would be Lord of the Rings - I figure that I must have read it about 20 times now.

I have historically read somewhere in the range of 150-200 books/year since I was quite young so rereading a good book is a nice treat after reading a lot of the dreck that I have picked up over the years.

I used to go to the library every week but their science fiction and fantasy collection is quite pitiful in terms of quality and quantity. Now I just do a quick bit of research, place an order to the science fiction book club, and in a couple weeks I have another 10 to 30 books show up at my door. I can then read the books whenever I want and I have had far fewer bad experieces compared to when I settled for what the library had in stock.

14. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I, too, re-read books often. I think I've read Neuromancer 20+ times and gone through The Chronicles of Amber in its entirety at least three times.
    Re-reading is kinda like going away for a while and then coming home and hooking up with all your old friends.

15. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I haven't re-read any of my books actually. I think it's because I put a lot of stock in the surprise of reading....of finding out what the ending is (hopefully unexpected). So then once I know the story and the ending -- it's done and I'm on to something new and different.

There are a few of my favorites that I have been considering re-reading lately, so I haven't ruled it out -- but I find there are SO many new ones that I have yet to read (sitting in stacks around me currently), that the urge to pick up one of those instead, is much stronger.

16. Harbourboy

I agree with Spellbound about all the new books there are to read and I agree with JSBB that most of them are dreck. Luckily, my public library is pretty efficient and will pretty much order in any new book that you request, so I can get the quality books I want to read without having to pay to buy and store them.

17. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I occasionally re-read books, but so far the one I've re-read most is probably Homer's "Odyssey" at four times followed by "The Iliad" at about 3. The rest are mostly Stephen King's novels a few of which I've read twice or thrice. For the most part though I've been borrowing a heap of books from the library so I don't have much opportunity to re-read.

18. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I tend to re-read my favourite books and series quite often (though I probably will not re-read Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern" series in one go. But one book once in a while is possible.).

And I must have read "Feet of Clay" and "Lords and Ladies" by Terry Pratchett at leas seven times. Because our schools library only had those two books by him, and my sister took our own collection to where she studies (other side of germany). Recently, they got two copies of "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents".

I especially re-read "The Chronicles of Narnia" (some of them I read seperately. You can see which, because I have the paperbacks. Except for one of those books, it is clear. But one of the books I had to re-buy, because I forgot my copy in the plane. I think that was "Prince Caspian" or "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader".), some Discworld Books (I plan on re-reading the whole series), "Song of the Lioness" quartet by Tamora Pierce (and others by her), and "The Neverending Story" and "Momo" by Michael Ende.

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Just to clarify after reading my own post again. I couldn't finish Lord of the Rings twice because of the way it is written. The other ones I listed I did re-read.

@spellbound

I know you've read A song of ice and fire and I seriously recommend you to read it once more. There are so much things you've missed and it's a completely different read from the first time.

20. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I re-read books occasionally...but I don't re-read big books only the short ones, just the other day I re-read "Only you can save Mankind", but I'd never re-read "the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant"...2 trilogies, each book over 500 pages long, no way! (unless I had alot of spare time...right I'd better get reading then! :D )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.