1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To live forever

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Khelben, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Would you want to live forever?And why would you or not?
    For me i'd wish a long life like 300 years but i'd not want to live forever.To see the end of the world would surely suck.The temperature of the world could rise slightly.Or maybe there would be a WW3 and maybe the human race would destroy itself.
    Brr,i can't bear to think of it.
    No living forever wouldn't be good for me.

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I once read a story about a man who was born in renaissance italy and got the "gift" of immortality. At, first, the man tried to use the immortality to gain power and wealth and ended up to be the advisor of Karl V.

But the man grew sick of politics, because whatever he did, new problems and troubles seemed to appear endlessly and he lived only to see that whatever he created, had in the end to crumble and disappear.

In the 19th century, he was so sick and tired of all, that he searched a place to hide himself from humanity. His only wish was to die. But he couldn't. And he saw no way, how to get rid of his immortality.

And his biggest fear was, that one day, the world would become a cold and lonely planet that would look like the moon and he would be doomed to wander forever in a neverending nightmare of loneliness and hoplesness.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Live forever? Hell I'm already sick of mankind's stupidity. Why on earth would I want to see that for eternity? I'll take death at 60 due to a heartattack thank you very much :D

4. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

No,that wouldn't be something for me.To see all your friends die would be horrible ... :(

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'll be seriously surprised if I walk around after 40. But... eternity could be interesting. Of course there are so many drawbacks that were I to get that eternity I might well regret the thing every second after some point. A prolonged life could be nice as well - shall we say some 500-700 years. Of course conditional upon not aging normally.

6. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I would be interesting to live forever, but I would probably get bored after the first few hundered years.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I would like my age progression to stop. Immortal in terms of aging, but not of diseases, accidents etc.

Though being immortal would hurt if you had no one to share it with.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Anyone interested in this can read Healer, by F. Paul Wilson. Good book, get it if it's still in print.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Maybe if I wasn't the only one, at least it wouldn't be that lonly.

Or if I had pointy ears ;)

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It would get very frustrating if you didn't have the right personality.
    And if you were blinded or something that would suck.

11. Charlie Gems: 14/31

It would interest some especially if you would never get disabled or old. I, though, wouldn't want to. I would feel terrible living on and seeing all my family and friends pass away. I already pity those people I read about who in their high school reunion learn that they're the last of their batch. Then you would have to see your children, grandchildren, etc. as well all new loves you might have pass away too, just like Highlander.

12. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

God, no. I would hate that. Everyone I would have ever known would die... eternal agony... I would pray for death daily...

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Immortaluty? Yes, please. With the cionditions of eternal youth and the ability to self-terminate.
    And with other people having the same deal.

I think I could handle the "people just falling away" thing. Possibly. Maybe. I think. If not, "Activate self-termination."

The "Highlander" style immortality would bee vcool. imho, espcially minus the Game. Or even with the game.

(*hugs her elves. Agent, and other bishies*)

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well i'd like to remain permenantly 18 until we have TIE fighters and Deathstars and X wings! Then, I'd like to be a B-wing pilot ... and die of old age in a Princess Lea look alike's arms ...

Seriously though, No ... I wouldn't want to live forever

15. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31

To live forever would be the ultimate punishment. It is almost like a wish granted by some powerful being that goes horribly awry, such as you would find in any of your mid-range quality fantasy short-story collections. I mean, truly think of how bored you would become. Humanity may be constantly changing and evolving, but not fast enough that it would hold your interest for more than 100 years. And then you have the issue that every loved one that you would have would die. So it would be like that horrible feeling you have when you move to a new school and don't know anyone, and have to learn how to make new friends, except it would continously cycle, over and over again....
    Nope. No way. Not for me.

16. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It would depend on the details. If the form immortality would take included no ageing and immunity to physical damage, I'd definitely say yes. The world gets better and better all the time and I'm very curious as to what will happen next.

On the other hand, it would be pretty gruesome if your body kept deteriorating and you couldn't die no matter how bad it got. I don't wish to become a ghoul or a lich. Also, people in my family tend to be completely demented with senility by about 70, while continuing to live to 100 or more, and it would be pointless to carry on if I couldn't remember who I was or what I ate for breakfast.

17. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

No, thanks. I think that 45 is gonna do it for me!

18. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm going to speculate a here, with a few possibilties:

A) True Immortality. I cannot die, nor can I be killed.

This is probably the last thing I would do. I think that if I couldn't die, get killed, etc., I would simply transform into a proud and arrogant jerk. Well, improve on being one, anyways. Besides, if I suffered some horrible tragedy, like watching my parents, friends, teachers, etc. die, I don't think living would be that great.

B) Eternal Life. Live forever, but you still age.

Actually, this is probably even more silly than A. I mean, eventually, you'd just be some horrible, old, shell of a man, senile and withered. And then I'd probably blow my brains out. Not a great way to die.

C) Eternal Youth.

Obviously, this is probably what most people mean by "eternal life". Frankly, I'm not sure if I would want it or not. We go through a lot of hard stuff. We won't forget our tragedies. We lose too much to bear. Sometimes I think that there is a reason most of us live to be about 75 (and by "us", I mean we First-world people with internet access).

No, I don't think I would choose to live forever. Long life and health, sure. But not 'til forever and ever on this world.

I don't want to be Tithonus.

19. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    True immortality? naaaaaah rather die when I'm 70..

BTW, how can you live without dying??

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Until you die, Morgoth, until you die.

(Who, me, weird?)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.