1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tit-for-tat reputation

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Jun 11, 2010.

?

Is 'retribution' reputation justifiable?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Depends on the situation

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    [​IMG] Twice now, I have given what I considered to be justifiable negative reputation only to find that the person in question responded by giving me negative rep with a comment something like 'turnabout is fair play'. In one case, I also got a PM message, which hasn't really resolved anything thus far. I wanted to ask, do most people consider this to be an appropriate act or not?

The Great Snook likes this.
  2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I didn't answer the poll as my choice wasn't there. I personally believe that negative reputation should be removed. In my opinion it is used as an anonymous weapon for people who do not agree with an opinion and has nothing to do with the merit of the discussion on that opinion.

Disabling all reputation is a poor way to solve this problem as many people like to know if someone likes there post.

All negative reputation leads to is hurt feelings and then people put on ignore (which probably makes the situation worse), and then Tal has to get involved.
    :2c:

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I disagree, Snook. Neg'd.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I'd tend to say no as I don't believe in giving bad points to people (we're not in school anymore -at least most of us aren't).

And yet, as far as retaliation is concerned, I think that since the feature exists you can't criticize people who won't turn the other cheek or blame them if you did it to them first.

Never do unto others... You know the rest. ;)

You've got a good point from me Barmy! :shake:

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    When you give negative rep, do you get the message that "you may receive the same in return as a result?" But I agree with Snook that there should not be negative rep at all, since we are a communtiy, mostly of members who have posted here for years. We all know each other pretty well. So you, NOG, are "complaining" that you get negative rep for giving negative rep? Why am I not surprised... :)

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I've only given neg rep once or twice, and each time it was well deserved. I think one dude ended up getting banned a few days later.
    I give pos rep to people who make me actually LMAO in RL....or they make a very compelling argument that I either agree with 110% or I can't refute.

Now, as for giving people neg rep as 'retribution', that just F***ed up. If someone gives you neg rep, at the very least, users should not be able to neg rep to that person without first 'spreading around the rep with others'...or wait a week or two to cool down.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Tit-for-tat neg-repping is silly. I got into such games before but it led nowhere. I mean Chandos is quite right, you're being warned that you are warned that "you may receive the same in return as a result". My experience fully confirms that.

These days, I very rarely give negative reputation, and rarely receive some (one in ten reps). And I try to never give negative reputation anonymously. I have actually considered not give negative reputation at all, largely because I think that positive feedback is more productive. Unless I find something decidedly objectionable I will keep it that way.

As a side note, I got anonymous negative rep for a comment last week, for being 'distasteful'. It was arguably not by my 'victim' because that person then gave me positive reputation a couple days later, ironically said person was also the one I gave negative reputation before. That's the spirit!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I dont like the negative rep, does it really accomplish anything?

just because I might get negative repped, doesnt mean Im going to change my views

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I don't use rep, good nor bad. I think the system in general sucks and should be removed, but then that's just my opinion. If you appreciate someone's comment you might as well give the feedback in the thread or if it feels overly off-topic then give a short PM. Negative reputation is of course even worse than positive since it only accomplishes strife and bad feelings between posters.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You can always disable the rep system if you don't want to get involved. In profile options I believe, means you can't give any rep as well iirc.

I don't even remember if I've given negative reputation. If I have it wouldn't have been for daft reasons, if I have a problem with what someone has said then I tell them privately.

I'll use positive reputation to commend a particular post as a source of information, quality or amusement, generally in threads I don't post in - such as many of the debates I cannot have the patience to indulge in looping conversations, I will say my piece and generally leave unless directly queried or I directly oppose an opinion.

There are far more effective ways for retribution than tit for tat nonsense.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've never given a negative rep. I think the only reasons to give a negative rep are the same as reporting the post ... so why give a negative?

For my vote I said it would depend. If one person is going to be a total jerk and give a negative because he/she doesn't agree with the other's opinion ... well then tit-for-tat is reasonable ... I've just never done it.

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I rep alot. Usually when I completely agree with a post or when it makes me laugh. I believe I have neg repped twice and have been neg repped twice. When I 1st joined, I was mad the 1st time someone neg repped me. But I got over it soon enough. The 2nd time made me laugh out loud. I wouldn't give a retribution neg rep now, but I might of when I 1st joined. I'm babbling....:)

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've never given negative rep (although I'm tempted to neg rep NOG for starting this thread :p). I have, however, received neg rep at least once, maybe twice. I responded by giving the negative rep'er positive rep (just for the hell of it). So I suppose that could be considered "retribution" rep.

I agree with most of what Snook said, although I'm not sure about the "anonymous weapon" part. But in any case, neg rep is a very poor substitute for constructive dialogue.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    ROFL!!! Repped!

I answered "it depends". First, I typically identify myself when I give positive or negative rep (unless the person is an SPS account holder in which case they know regardless).

While I do not give negative rep very often, it is usually someone who has also negative repped me. (Not necessarily retaliatory, but I've been negged repped by them at some point previously.)

Oddly, I still debate with people who I have neg repped, and/or they have neg repped me.

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

IMO, I think NOG's creation of this thread has merit, as obviously not everyone agrees with NOG in the alleys, and that is where the heated discussions mostly exists. If he is feeling the brunt of some neg reps for his opinions, he should be able to spill his guts about what he thinks of them.

I think everyone should Neg Rep Splunge, so he can build up our reps in return.:D Drats, should of kept that one to myself...dolt!

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was going to positive rep Blades in a pre-emptive strike, but apparently I need to rep some others first. So the first 5 people to send me $25 will get a rep bump from me, and can also be happy knowing they helped in increasing Blades' rep. :D

A side question for the admins - is there any way we can view who we have given rep to?

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'm pretty much with Snook on this. Negative rep is just a lazy way of disagreeing: instead of posting a counterargument, or saying you disagree because this and that, it's so much easier to just give negative rep (anonymously too if the receiver isn't SPS) and feel all smug about it. I don't use the rep system much anyway but I would prefer to see it used to highlight some genuinely good argument or a very funny post, instead of being a reflection of agreement/disagreement with opinions.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My position mirror's Aldeth's. I've neg-repped a few posters, and only to one poster who didn't neg-rep me first. Still, it's never retaliatory. I've never neg-repped someone for an opinion or position they hold. If I disagree with an opinion, I have no bones about challenging that opinion publicly (that's what we're here for). I've been neg-repped several times, usually by posters who disagree with an opinion I hold but for whatever reason would rather flame me anonymously than challenge the opinion publicly. Martaug made an artform out of it, for example.

I reserve neg rep for my distaste with the manner in which that opinion was delivered. If someone is being particularly intellectually dishonest, condescending, combative, self-victimizing, stone-deaf, etc. I'll give them a dig (and they'll have deserved it). But this is still pretty rare, and only a few times have I felt it necessary (since busting someone's balls over the manner of their post, and not the post itself, is usually off-topic). Most folks here are cool enough that it's not warranted. Is it very effective in getting the poster to modify their posting style? In my experience, never. But it's better than nothing, and hey - free speech, b*tches. :cool:

Having said that - and I mean this sincerely - WHO CARES? If you're going to dish out negative rep, you can't whine about getting it yourself (unless it is excessive and chronic, in which case it's time to inform the mods you're being harassed). If you're irritated enough by another poster to neg rep them, chances are the feeling is mutual regarding your own posts. If you already have so little respect for the person that you would neg rep them, anonymously or otherwise, why would it bother you so much when they neg rep you?

Last thing - NOG, do you honestly not have anything better to do than start threads drawing attention to your own butt-hurt over someone calling you a doody-head on a D&D message board? I really can think of no indignity more superficial and meaningless than negative rep at SP. Either cowboy up and take the good with the bad, or stop debating if you can't handle the occasional flame. And if the reputation system on a D&D message board is this important to you - ANY of you - you really need to get laid. STAT.

:2c:

Drew, Chandos the Red, Ragusa and 4 others like this.
  19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Exactly. If you're willing to dish it out, you have to also be willing to take it.

Reason #573 of why I always read DR's posts. LMAO.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nope, there's no such feature currently.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.