1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tips on the first P&P game?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Sir Ai Rayzor, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi everyone

I'm gonna play my first game of AD&D P&P on saturday (3ed.) and was wondering if there are any tips that are useful, something I should pay attention to or anything else?

This is what I want to play:
    Race: Asimaar
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Sex: Male
    Classes: Fighter/Rogue

(To admins: I do not know if this is the right forum, I am sorry if it isn't)

2. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, first of all the class...
    I don't think the Rogue suits an Aasimar.
    Anyway, here are some general tips:
    1) When you enter a room don't forget to look up; the ceiling is a good place for ambushes.
    2) Never look into the eyes of strange creatures; they might be Medusas...
    3) Sometimes it is good to carry wooden shields; Rust Monsters are out there (they can turn anything metallic object they touch into rust)
    4)In a dungeon, try not to make any noise at all; sleeping monsters can be easilly awaken.
    5) And last but not least: Always play the character you want (if he's within the rules and the DM alows you, of course) and don't do what others want you to do. It's your character, therefore you can roleplay him the way you want.

That's all... for now ;)

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Okay. First of all, forget previously mentioned numbers 1 through 4. (yes, even four. I'll explain below) That's the golden road to metagaming. Don't. Metagaming can and most likely ruin any and all roleplaying experience you might get. My guess is you wanna roleplay, not rollplay.

Be your character. You are your character. Know what he's like. Know his background. Know how he feels about certain things, how he reacts to stuff. This develops while playing, but it's good to have a decent image of what your character's like. Is he a sneaky backstabber? Is he a holier than thou kind of character? Is he arrogant or instead very humble? Is he aware of his surroundings? Or does he trample about, not seeing the danger in certain situations. (this is what I meant by forget number 4.) Is he a funnyman, or does he view life very seriously? Or is just your average joe? You know, stuff like that.

And just so you know, there isn't a forum on Sorcerer's Place more appropriate for your post than this one ;)

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

1)Have fun (most important). Unlike any CRPG, the point of a PnP RPG is not to win.

2)Get into character. Outline your characters personality and quirks before you start the game. Give him a history, even if it's a small one. Ask yourself a few questions: Why am I adventuring? How old am I? What's my birthday (I usually choose my own birthday so I can't forget). Sometimes, make a "special voice" for your character, and always talk like him, it'll make him more memorable and fun. If you have any problems with any of these ideas, model your character's personality after someone in a movie, TV show, or book. When you run into a situation, ask yourself, "what would [insert character's name here] do?"

3) Have fun!!!

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] My advice is to have fun; whether that entails powergaming or roleplaying or either or none is all good, so long as you and your group is having fun.

One note: AD&D is actually 2E; the "A" in D&D is no longer used.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I admit you have to have fun, whether that's powergaming or roleplaying. But that's of course the reason you're playing. :heh:

I think an Aasimar fighter/rogue is quite an interesting character. Not unlikely, but less common. Since Aasimars tend to be LG it's rather unlikely to become a rogue (as Alex mentioned).
    But Aasimars can be any alignment. I think an important thing in p&p is your background and interests. This can give the DM an opportunity to create special happenings, which would be fun for playing your char. A good thing will be to tell why your Aasimar became a rogue. Like that he was ridiculed for opposing lawlessness or evil, getting tired of the ridicule and choosing to oppose evil in a less straightforward way to not get in the spotlights that easily.

Detailed backgrounds are important, I think. At least... in a roleplaying game.
    If roleplaying: Do not buy stuff because there might be certain creatures, but (i/e) because you are particulary interested in hunting these animals.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Who says Rogues can't be LG?

There is a reason they changed the class name from "Thief."

BTW, my advice in Character Creation would be to take your first level in Rogue. You will miss those skill points a lot more than your hitpoints if you don't.

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    'Unlikely' does not mean 'impossible' ;)
    So whoever said Rogues can't be Lawful, it was not me... :)

Rogues can be of any alignment, yes, but are more likely to be Chaotic. Since Aasimars tend to be Lawful, I would be interested why this Aasimar would become a rogue (if I was the DM, even when the rogue is NG)

(Oh, who am I trying to fool. I'm bored out of my skull - Murray ;) )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.