1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Time for some Canadian pride!!!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Jaguar, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I am posting this, which I found way in the back of my computer, to show my Canadian pride, and to correct the view of non-Canadians who think we live in igloos.

*DISCLAIMER*
    This is not meant to insult, demean, or hurt any other countries. This was put together by Canadians soley to boost our own meager self-esteems.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Cool stuff. At the risk of being labelled excessively pedantic, people might be interested in the following:

Apple pie was a favorite dessert during the reign of Elizabeth I. During the mid 1600s, Oliver Cromwell banned many pleasures throughout the Commonwealth, including pie. Fortunately under the reign of King Charles II in 1660 England enjoyed a more pleasant lifestyle, as the King allowed them many pleasures previously denied by Cromwell, among them pie.

I thought Alexander Fleming was a Scotsman who was working in London when he discovered penicillin.

But never mind me. Canada is cool. ;)

3. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG]
    Don't you mean cold? :p

4. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster invented Superman, and I actually thought they were Americans, so I looked it up. Jerry Siegel was an American, who came from Cleveland, Ohio. The other co-creater, Joe Shuster, was born in Toronto, Ontario, but his parents came from The Netherlands and Ukraine. They however did not invent Superman, until Shuster moved to America.

So, even though Superman was co-created by a man who was born in Canada, I don't really think you can call Superman Canadian.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Eh... what those things have to do with Canada? :hmm: Some man invented Superman, not Canada, and the same applies to the rest. So, in fact, you have only parts #11 and #24 to be proud of ;)

6. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    And Alexander Graham Bell was a SCOTSMAN!! not canadian.

Oh BTW Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, for those who didnt know.

7. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

To rectify some other things.

Bell was indeed Scottish, but performed the first telephone call in Canada (Brantford, Ontario, August 10, 1876).

Penicillin wasn't invented, it was discovered by Alexander Fleming, who was also Scottish. Its chemical structure was determined by Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin, who was British.

The zipper was patented by Elias Howe in 1851 and by Whitcomb Judson in 1891. Both were Americans. The design we use today was invented by the Swedish Gideon Sundback in 1913. The B. F. Goodrich Company named it a Zipper, and they were also American.

Velcro was officialy invented in 1948 by the Swiss George de Mestral, but everybody knows it was handed down to the human race by Vulcans ;)

The Canadians who put that list together obviously didn't do their homework.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, at the risk of sounding unpatriotic, what everyone has to realize is that, as a nation, we like to take credit for anything (or anything good, at least) that anyone who lived in Canada for more than about a year had a role in. (So in that respect, we're pretty similar to the U.S. :p )

Having said that, we should still be able to take pride in tha fact that we were involved in so many great inventions, innovations, etc. :)

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I love Canadians.
    Preferably grilled. With mint jelly.

10. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The number one thing that we have to be proud of is that George W. Bush never ran our country. Ba-zing! :p

But no matter how you look at it, Canada is the greatest country in the world, with the only possible exception being Ireland, as they are hammered all the time. ;)

11. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The top 20 or so greatest NHL players of all time are Canadian. I'm proud of that.

Our beer is stronger then American beer.

12. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

That was beautiful Jaguar...it would have brought a tear to my eye, if I hadn't seen it about a dozen times before :D ... I never get tired of it though.

We Canadians sure like to gloat about our successes, especially to each other :p .

13. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

All beer is stronger than American beer :p .

The Brits burned the White House during the War of 1812. Of course, Canadians were still basically Brits at the time.

I grew up in Michigan, so I know how cool Canada is. Especially when it's time to do the traditional 18th birthday border crossing to Windsor :D . Actually, I often think Michigan's a lot more "Canadian" than "American".

14. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

well..according to the devils dictionary canada is not a habiltle part of the earth..so nyeh :p

15. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Two words.

Damn straight.

16. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually that's four words Soul.

I am happy that I was born a Canadian. I think this country has a lot of good things,including clean air.

17. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I love all of Canada, except for Alberta. I was born in Toronto, and my family goes way back into Canadian history: so I am genetically programmed to be a fierce patriot.

But what the hell is Canada anyway. Is there really anything distinctly Canadian? My list is basically: Strong beer, Stronger Rye, and Canoeing. Best if all 3 are taken simultaeneously.

But most of our culture is really borrowed from our neighbours, near and far.

Our media we get from the states. (Except Hockey Night in Canada)

Our laws are based on British Commonlaw and the Napoleonic Code.

Our aloof-looking-down-our noses-at-US-foreign-policy-but-still-reaping-the-benefits we get from Europe.

Our manufactured goods we get from Asia - except Ski-doos, Planes and Buses (But that's headed south soon anyway)

Both our National languages are named after other countries.

So, what elements of the true essence of Canadiana can we truly lay claim to?

Bash me all you want, I deserve it, but I really want to know what people think Canada really is.

18. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Canadians have heard this one zillions of times already, but what the hell...

I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader.
    I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber or own a dog sled.
    And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.
    I have a prime minister, not a president.
    I speak English and French, not American.
    And I pronounce it about, not aboot.
    I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
    I believe in peacekeeping, not policing.
    Diversity, not assimilation.
    And that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
    A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch.
    And it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed.
    Canada is the second largest landmass, the first nation of hockey and the best part of North America.
    My name is Joe, and I am Canadian!

--Actual Molson beer TV commercial

And the unofficial French-Canadian version:

I'm not unemployed, or smuggling cigarettes across the border.
    I don't drink Pepsi for breakfast.
    I don't watch the hockey game while doing it "doggy style".
    And no, I don't know Claude, Manon or Francois in Abitibi-Témiscamingue, but I'm sure they all have nice teeth.
    I smoke in church.
    I speak Québécois and Joual, not French or English.
    I pronounce it 'turd' not 'third'.
    And eating french fries with cheese makes sense, mon esti.
    I believe in distinct society as long as someone else pays for it.
    I believe in language police not equal rights.
    And câlice, I believe that Club Supersexe is an appropriate place for wife and me to celebrate our anniversaire, what the hell, she goes out at ten anyway!
    In Québec, the Stanley Cup actually comes around more often than Halley's Comet.
    I can get beer at the dépanneur, not at the convenience store.
    And maybe I can't turn right on a red light, but tabarnak! I can go right through it!
    Because Québec is the world's largest producer of maple syrup, the home of Céline Dion AND Roch Voisine.
    The land where everybody is shacking up and the drinking age is just a suggestion!
    Je m'appelle Guy and I am NOT Canadian! (maudit tabarnak d'esti)
    Merci pour la visite!

And that, my friends, is Canada in a nutshell! :roll:

19. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Ye know, the first post in this thread should of been saved for today...
    Thats how much of a joke half the stuff on it was.

20. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm I Canadien citzen, and when I was young, I got my tongue stuck on a lot od metal objects (stop sign posts, my door knob etc.)

And another good thing...our beer is always cold.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.