1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

time for another good party

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tofa, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Tofa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

im baAack! havent been playin for the last few months, but im here again and i want to do the whole game with a good party. so far i'm thinking aerie
    jan
    mazzy, and
    minsc.
    i need one more npc and an idea for my char. not a fighter tho. i always seem to be doing something with a fighter type so i was thinking maybe a sorcerer? also, is aerie all the cleric i need? or am i gonna have to create a cleric for my char? not somethin i really want to do... i also plan to take sarevok and convert him in tob, so i'll need some one i can swap out when the time comes...
    any advice is appreciated!!

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Aerie is all the cleric you need, she gets the important "protection from evil "10'" and "raise dead" quite early.

Try a sorcerer, since you have only multiclass mages in your party it fits well. The flexibility in spellcasting is great.

As for the last NPC, I'd keep the spot vacant and add members temporary for the quests, take Korgan with you for exploring below the graveyard, Valgyar for the Sphere, Yoshimo when leaving for spellhold, ...

3. Tofa Gems: 7/31

good to know. but to be honest i'd rather take 1 character til i meet sarevok. not to amped to alwayss be swapping weapons, armor, strategies etc. but i'll definately go with aerie then... so who else?

4. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

Anomen
    Keldorn
    Nalia

or maybe a mod NPC

Auren Aseph (Human Fighter)
    Kelsey (Human Sorcerer)
    Chloe (Kensai)

[ January 02, 2007, 02:19: Message edited by: Elfen Lied ]

5. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Jan
    Mazzy
    Minsc

I'd either play a Fighter/Druid or a Fighter/Cleric and pick up Aerie or Nalia (if you can withstand their whining) or a Fighter/Mage and pick upp Anomen or Aerie.

Otherwise I'd have to agree with taking a Sorcerer. Great fun, and it's good to have two or three arcane casters. If so, I'd again recommend taking Anomen or Aerie... or mayby Jaheira (for divine casting).

If you plan on kicking out someone from the 5-man party, then I'd kick Anomen, Mazzy or Minsc, since Sarevok is an immense fighter. If you plan on taking 6 and kicking out one, I'd bring along Valygar or Keldorn and kick one of them out.

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

For no 6 I'd take Jaheira, Cernd, Anomen, Valgyar or Keldorn. It doesn't matter too much, you can beat the game with 5 characters easily.
    You can afford to decide based on nuisances like character portrait or voice sets.

7. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

By the time you reach ToB, both Valygar and Keldorn will be well ahead of Sarevok, in exp and HLA's. While I don't object on Sarevok's fighting performance(he is the best fighter in all the BG saga, after all), it is stupid to have Valygar and/or Keldorn from the start of SoA, and then replace them for Sarevok. If you intend to pick him up in ToB, keep a place open for him. If you have him in the party together with Keldorn and/or Valygar, all your fighting needs are filled. For a back up fighter and healer you can pick Jaheira, she is good in both roles. I would pick Nalia until you get Imoen, and Aerie for extra healing/arcane spellcasting. You can then choose what you want your PC to be.

Since this party has seven members(together with PC), choose what you want more: magic or fighting skills. If first, drop Keldorn or Valygar(Keldorn if you want a backstaber and Valygar if you want a dispeler). If it's the second, drop Aerie, she's not that good, and with Imoen you will have more spells faster, and they will be highter levels.

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Make sure you do Watcher's Keep after picking up Sarevok, so the XP difference won't be too big.

9. Tofa Gems: 7/31

wow. thanks for all the replies. i like the idea of takin anomen. and then i'll be a sorcerer. (im gonna need a bit of help with creating 1, never done it before) and then i'll get rid of mazzy or minsc for sarevok. whoever is worse at the time.
    so,
    sorcerer
    aerie
    anomen
    jan
    minsc, and
    mazzy.
    i want mazzy to be using bows, and this brings up a problem, cause im gonna need tanks in tob. i want 2 for the front row.so if i swapped out either her or minsc, it would either leave me without an archer or without a frontman. leading me to the conclusion that i may have to bounce aerie, not something i really want to do cause i wanted to romance her. but i guess i'll make my sorcerer female and romance anomen, again something i've never done before. any objections or advice?

10. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I say eject Mazzy (I know I'm going to get flamed by someone for saying that) as bows really are not useful at all in ToB. Sure, you get the case of arrows that never runs out but that just doesnt compare to a sword swinging behemoth in the front line.

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

It's no problem switching mazzy from archer to melee monster if desired. She gets enough prof points during SoA to make her good in any weapon you want her to use, her stats and racial bonusses are fantastic.

Anomen can tank quite well. Clerics already get good thac0, armor and HP, the 7 fighter levels allow specialization and double the number of attacks. Th extremely powerful weapons FoA and CF can be used by clerics.

As for your sorcerer:

Most important are 18 dex for +4 AC.
    Then you need 16 con for 20 extra HP.
    Strength isn't that important, you have enough arcane power in your party for strength spells, but 8 is minimum if you want to wear your equipment, the more you have the more you can carry around unbuffed.
    Int doesn't affect your spellcasting, if you want to be able to use scrolls you need at least 9.
    Wisdom is useless unless you want to abuse the "wish" spell all the time and are too lazy to have Aerie or Sir Anomen do the talking.
    Charisma doesn't help the sorcerer more than the fighter, you can take 18 for cheaper shop prices or rely on the ring you'll find.
    Your familar type depends on alignment.
    Aerie and Jan can learn all spells, so you can afford to choose the spells you like the most.

12. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i would ditch mazzy as well, and maybe take that blade fella, that speaks of doves all of the time, he is a very capable fughter and would be an excellent support caster as well..

i like arcane very much

13. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    That would be Haer'dalis. Personally, I wouldn't recommend putting him into this party instead of Mazzy. While you would be able to watch the Haer'dalis/Aerie romance without it interfering with your own, it would mean the party is very heavily caster based. This can be very powerful, but requires a lot of micromanagement, which can be very wearing if you aren't used to playing that way. Just a word of caution to bear in mind.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Be a Ranger/Cleric (dual-classed preferably since your party is so full), ditch Mazzy and take Haer'Dalis...you'll have a great time!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.