1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Throw All the Bums Out!

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's not news that Americans really dislike Congress. Congressional approval has been below 20% for over a decade, bottoming out at 11% during last year's debt ceiling debate. But most of the time, their angst is focused on everyone's Congressional representatives, EXCEPT their own. It's usually, "OUR guys know what they're doing, it's everyone else that is screwing things up". Well, not any more. In a recently released NBC/WSJ poll, the message is pretty loud and clear: Throw all the bums out!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And yet, I bet every incumbent will win his/her seat back. :)

3. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

This is why I think a 3rd party has tremendous potential in the U.S, despite what most people think. Obviously it would take a good number of years before they had a realistic shot at getting elected, but it's never too late to start trying. It's too bad the mainstream media gives next to no attention to anything outside the mainstream political debate (Ron Paul for example), but when the biggest outlets we have are run by G.E and Rupert Murdoch I guess it's not too big a surprise.

4. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

It would require a major change to the electoral system. I was just reading something earlier today which mentioned Ross Perot running in the 1992 presidential election. He got 19% of the votes and a grand total of 0 electoral college votes. With the winner takes all system there's no scope for a third party to gradually gain influence. It needs to be close to the big two to have any really.

5. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Yeah, the odds are certainly stacked against anyone outside of the two-party system, but the collective discontent is there. IMO if we don't go that route we're never going to shake off the corporate state.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm with BTA on this. I really can't count the number of times I've heard this exact thing ... it never pans out and the vast majority of incumbents win.

7. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Usually it's when you get a look at the alternatives that the incumbents suddenly start seeming a lot better.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is why we need term limits. Politician should not be a career, it should be something you do for a couple of years for the betterment of society and the nation, then you go back to your real life.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tell us how that goes Snook.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure what you are asking? I'm guessing you either want me to explain how it works, or you are implying that I should run for office and then give it up after a few years?

If it is the first, I would limit Senators to 1 term and reps to 3 terms.

If it is the second, I have no desire for elected office, I only desire to be named "supreme leader" and when it happens this planet is going to run quite differently :D

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    We have some members of parliament who reason like you Snook and I generally think it is a good idea. The youngest member of parliament we ever had in Sweden (the record is broken now) sat four years then he didn't run for the next four and is back in now. It is possible.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It is the surest way to get lobbying out of government. If you can't run for re-election you have no need to raise money for elections and this will enable you to do the right thing instead of having to payback a favor.

13. Defreni1 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree with you somewhat, but there are negative aspects of a one-term limit aswell. Politics is a craft, and alot of time and ressources would be spend on helping rookie members learn how to do simple stuff.
    The best example of this is all the new members of Congress voted in in 2010. Some of them forgot to be sworn in, and they started by making rules they broke immediatly after.

From a pragmatic point of view this would lead to stronger parties, because they would be the red thread in the process of governing. As you only have two parties in the US, I am not convinced this would be ideal for your country.

Another way to remove or ameliorate moneys power in politics, is to finance campaigns with public money and ban private contribution, or at least severely limit their presence.

Regards
    Defreni

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.