1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Three questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by carbon_dragon, May 16, 2012.

1. carbon_dragon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

First, I selected Maximize spell at low level for my Wizard but I didn't allocate it because I didn't realize I had to. Now I tried to select the crosshair next to the Magic Missile and dragged the enhancement over to the right and clicked OK. But I can't see that is has done anything. The crosshairs are still there and I'm not sure if Magic Missile has been enhanced.

Second, the Black Jay quests seem bugged. Jay won't talk to me about anything, even after finding the hemlock and the goblin isn't there either. I could talk to Jaroo but not Jay.

Third, I went to Imeryds Run and won it eventually but man was it hard at 5th level. As soon as I got there I got ambushed by both frogs and all the lizard men and the hag as well. In 1 out of 3 I got attacked at the same time by the Gar too.

As a p.s. it appears that if you have the screen saver on when you play, then the game blanks out when it kicks in. Very annoying.

Anybody have some clue to the above problems? Thanks.

I'm running the latest Co8 patches installed.

---------- Added 9 hours, 28 minutes and 18 seconds later... ----------

I think I can see how maximize works. It doesn't automatically make all your spells better (bummer). It doesn't even transform ONE of your spells to be better (really bummer). What it apparently does is teach you a maximized version of the spell which is then 3 levels (count em) above the original spell level. Interestingly that makes 1st level spells 4th level. I think this is pretty much useless really. I did the fireball too and it's 6th level. With the Co8 patch I may or may not eventually be able to cast 6th level spells but I'm not holding my breath. I guess this is why we were never tempted to take these feats in the paper and pencil game.

In regards to being mobbed by the frogs and the lizardman, judging from what I read, this isn't supposed to happen. You're supposed to have to fight them separately, but every time I warped in, both attacked me immediately without moving a centimeter. I only got the Gar too when I moved north to get some breathing room. I finally was only able to win by moving south so I could take on the lizardmen and their leader first. Even then I had one character swallowed and one killed by the lizardmen. I had to resurrect him and lose experience but considering the threat level I was willing to accept that. I don't know what the challenge level was but it seemed as though I would have had to be level 8 or 9 to take that on moderately easily.

2. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

What version of Co8 are you using? There have been some changes that could be affecting Black Jay's quest for you (in the most recent versions, you shouldn't be looking for the ring in a *goblin*...).

For Imerdys Run, the fight with lizardmen+hag+frogs is very tough, but doable, with a 5th level group. What's the makeup of your team? The important thing I've found is disabling the King Frog with magic and the hag with non-magic. Makes things much easier.

Looks like you figured out how meta-spell feats work. I've never used them myself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.