1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

thoughts/questions about the ending... *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Phone_Tools, May 27, 2008.

1. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

hey SP- i haven't posted here in awhile, but i figured why not. i already posted this in another forum but now im posting it here too to see what you guys think.

WOW, so i just finished the game. Really great and fitting ending. I like how it left many things open-ended. However, there are a few questions that i have about it

1. Is TNO's punishment to ultimately become a petitioner to the lower planes, and become a demon (and eventually a part of the plane?), or is it simply to fight in the Blood War for near-eternity?

In my mind, at least, i like to think that his punishment is simply to serve in the blood war for just about forever... and that he doesn't become a demon. Although he certainly dies (right? i mean no matter what ending you choose, whether merging with your mortality, or killing yourself/TTO, he goes to baator anyway and the end cinematic is the same) when he gets taken to the lower planes, he still retains his bodily form... whereas, if he were to become a petitioner, he would arrive there as some sort of lower form of demon, right? Also, there is his hinting to his companion at the end, when he says is final farewell to them, that for a few of them he *may* see them again, in a long time. This would mean that once his punishment was served, he would be free at last? I would like to think that TNO's case is a special one because (for me at least, being lawful good) he wasn't of the correct alignment to be damned to the lower planes forever, and is there to serve his penance for all of his incarnation's crimes.

2. What SIDE of the blood war does he serve on?

well, this isn't that important, it's just a little detail i'm curious about. I would think it would depend on whatever alignment is closest to the one you ended up with. For me, that would mean for my TNO, it's death to the tanar'ri! but then i thought, is it possible that he could become a free agent of sorts? and in the most violent and senseless conflict to EVER exist, does it ultimately MATTER what side one fights for?

my last question is

3. What do you think it means, when in the ending movie, he hears the imfamous "what can change the nature of a man?" in his mind, as he gazes out at the blood war battlefield? what is the significance of this??

from what i took from it, this is there to show that TNO's nature HAS been changed, for the better. It all comes down to the original incarnation, and how he tried to escape his fate and his punishment. But now, after all he's been through, TNO finally has come to accept his punishment, and his damnation. He is now serving his time, and owning up to his sins, rather then running away. i love the look on his face, just as the movie ends, as he looks down on the battlefield and nods. in my mind he thinks, 'well if this is going to be my lot for eternity, then damnit, i am going to serve it, and serve it well'. He ultimately gains redemtion for his sins, through accepting and serving his punishment.

anyways, thats just what i'm thinking. these questions have sort of been buring at me ever since i finished the game a few days ago and i really want to know your guys' takes on them

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    1. The punishment is to serve his term in the Blood Wars. Possibly not for eternity (this is hinted at in his farewell to some people, such as Grace) but definitely for a long, long time. This is actually hinted at throughout the game. Also, becoming mortal again and killing himself are not the same ending. If he uses the special weapon to kill himself, TNO ceases to exist entirely - not as a mortal, not as an immortal, not as a petitioner, nothing. Total oblivion. Killing TTO or merging with him leads TNO to become mortal again and hence to go to his punishment in the Blood Wars.

2. I think you've answered that question yourself: considering the scope of the Blood Wars it doesn't matter which side you're on. One of the NPCs you meet in the Civic Festhall makes it very clear - you don't want to be in the Blood Wars, on any side. The Demons and the Devils will both corrupt your soul eventually, and at the end of the day it really doesn't matter which one does.

3. Again I agree with your interpretation, and that's the one that crossed my mind the first time I saw this. In my first playthrough I convinved TTO to merge by threatening him with the Weapon. My personal answer to the question was "Regret can change the nature of a man" and since the game hadn't provided an alternative I viewed the ending as TNO's regrets having caught up with him, but he managed to deal with regret, changed his nature, accepted his punishment and the look you see on his face is partily resigned to his fate, partly "I'll show them I can serve it well".

However on my second playthrough I merged with TTO using a different line of conversation. If you've caused a number of events in the game (including creating Adahn) then TNO asks Ravel's question to TTO and provides an answer: Belief can change the nature of a man. This made me look at the ending differently: TNO gets to the Blood Wars, and thinks that his belief in his own redemption, or in his ability to get out of the Blood Wars, is in fact his way out. I like that interpretation, as it leaves open the possibility that TNO will get out of it and move on to a better existence.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.