1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thoughts on a mage/thief

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Maldir, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I've started my first solo character, as an elven mage/thief. I won't post the story here, as although I've run many PnP games, I'm better at creating a story than writing one. Instead, here are my thoughts so far about the character, and I'd welcome any comments or suggestions.
    Spoilers ahead (obviously!)

Character name: Lindir
    Alignment: CG
    Stats: Str 18
    Dex 16
    Con 13
    Int 17
    Wis 13
    Cha 12 (now 18)

I rolled the stats first time - in fact, all my characters have used the stats I got first time, not necessarily because I liked the stats (these are the best I've had). I'm playing Lindir as a happy-go-lucky sort, who is very inquisitive about anything, and never seems to learn his lesson. No-one seems to want to join up with him, which may be due to the questions he keeps asking them, and may be because of his penchant for saying "we'd have more of a chance splitting up" then running to hide around a corner :grin:.
    I've found the class very effective, though sometimes the lack of a fighter class is difficult - I have no problem if I can run away and hide, or if I have spells to take down an enemy, but if I need to go toe-to-toe in melee, things get very difficult.
    I'm learning a lot how to use both a mage and a thief; in my previous parties, both classes were mainly used as not very good missile fighters, with magic missiles from the mages thrown in for good measure. Now I'm forced to micro-manage my skills to their full extent, so (of course) backstab is very much used, and I have a much wider repertoire of spells used. Incidentally, I have not developed stealing at all, and have not developed Set Traps much either. I don't think the character is morally against stealing, but I've been too busy developing stalking and trap disarming skills.
    In order, the adventures I've completed so far are:
    Circus Tent
    Slave gladiators
    Mae'var's guild
    Harper quest
    First thief stronghold quest
    Skinner murders
    I'm planning next to do the planar prison - I think it will be very hard, but I must have those boots of speed...
    I've had a few encounters that have either been very hard, or that I've done better than I expected.
    In Irenicus' dungeon, Lindir fought off two lesser golems when he realised he couldn't shake them off. By standing in a doorway, drinking an oil of speed and casting Mirror Image and Stoneskins as fast as possible, he beat them down with a stave - and was very surprised to get out alive.
    Beating the Cowled Wizard for Edwin was extremely difficult, and I wonder how I would do that as a solo thief. The mephits downstairs were just possible by going in invisible, then summoning creatures between them and Lindir; even so it was very close. Lindir ran straight past the golems (invisible again), then had a lot of trouble with the wizard. Eventually he was able to defeat the wizard by casting spells at some of his defences, and running away until things like Shadow Door had run out. The golems eventually ended up in front of the Harper Hold, still hostile but not moving, as Lindir would always sneak very quietly past them. Eventually he took them out by summoning an Earth Elemental (I love that spell! They are so tough!), and getting it to take on the golems. Neither could affect the other, but he was then able to sneak up behind the golems and "backstab" them with my stave. Before anyone comments, I think you can do that, but that it shouldn't be called backstab - basically, I see it as the advantage you get when you attack an enemy who is unaware, and can judge your attack to hit a critical area, which you wouldn't be able to do if they were watching you. Should the multiplier be so high? I don't know.
    By comparison, Mae'Var himself was easy. A Stinking Cloud, Web, and Monster Summons did for them all, with barely a scratch.
    The last scare I had was fighting the Rune Assassins in the Bridge District. Lindir killed one with a Fireball, but the other chased me all around the district, keeping up with me although Lindir had taken an Oil of Speed. Eventually Lindir died after stopping short to listen to the dialogue between the duelling lovers (I told you he was too curious!). So, reload, summon an earth elemental in the cellar, lure them in...assassin chunks, everywhere!
    Does anyone have any comments? I'd like to do Nalia's quest, but I'm concerned that I would need longer than the five days I'm allowed away from my guild to kill all those trolls. Maybe she's desparate enough to employ me and give me two days off a tenday? Yes, that would work...I'll clear out the bottom level, then go back and tell her I'm not doing any overtime.

2. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] well, willpower beats them all i say :)

I think you could have given the char 19 dex which would add up to a bonus of 70 points in thieving skills. But of course nothing is a must. Just to make it a bit easier for you.

A small thing: when you create a new multi char, he can't cast 4th level spells. And there's no stoneskin scroll in irenicus' dungeon. Or is there ?

anyways go Lindir!! :)

3. Maldir Gems: 11/31

Like I said, I took the stats which I rolled, so no 19 Dex unfortunately.
    I think you're right about the stoneskins, the fight with the golems was a long time ago and I might have learned the spell since then. In fact I remember spending a long time with a 4th level spell slot and nothing to put in it.

4. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] First off, good luck to you! Mage/Thief is probably my favourite class combination, and it's loads of fun.

That five day limit on the thief guild is very annoying! Even with a full party, I still lost it a couple of times doing quests outside of Athkatla -- what with travel time and everything. But you can always get it back from Renal by giving him 4000 gold. With that in mind, you might want to consider doing several of the longer quests in a row, since each one would cause you to lose the guild. Do them all at once, lose the guild and then get it back by paying the 4000 once, after you've finished them. It's a hassle, I know, but I could never find another way around it.

Oh, and probably the best offensive spell to have on hand for a mage-thief is Melf's Minute Meteors. Hit's just about anything :)

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Cool, In my BG thief only party is an Illusionist/Thieft, and I found out this is great to play with. I think you chose a good class for Solo. Without magic you are nowhere and the thief is not a bad fighter and in soloing the backstabbing of a thief is very important. Only one small problem: You have to choose between backstabbing and using magic. You can't just backstab someone and then cast spells on him for after backstabbing he is too close. I'm interested in the profiencies. You play with a stave at the moment? You can't backstab with that I suppose. Ranged weapons isn't to good, IIRC a mage/thief can't use short bows (?) so Sling is the only option. You can use daggers for backstabbing and later of course the celestrial fury, I suppose this will become the most important weapon dor you, later in the game. I would advise to take a one handed weapon where you can backstab with and a good sling, and put a profiency on single weapon style (or use 2 weapons)

What weapons are you planning to use? and One or two weapon style?

6. Maldir Gems: 11/31

Currently I have single proficiency in Short Sword (primary weapon), Quarterstaff, Short Bow, Single Handed and Dual Handed. Fortunately Mage/Thiefs can use the Short Bow. I normally rely on the back stab, unless the enemy is somewhere I can't sneak up on them, in which case I'll use magical resources.
    Headbanger, I have been able to backstab someone and then cast magic - usually I can get a Magic Missile off before someone hits me, which can finish them off if they were badly injured. Also if I have stone skins and Mirror image, I can cast other spells - particularly a summons, which is very good for taking the heat off, allowing you to slip away. Oh yes - I can backstab with the stave - as I said, I see that as making a careful attack on an enemy's weak spot without him being able to dodge away.
    Gnolyn, I've used MMM once and did find it useful; my only criticism is that you're stuck with it once you've got it - I'd prefer it if you could choose to use it on only the tougher targets. Nice idea about the guild, I'll probably try that.

7. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

That's the one draw back of that spell.

At higher levels, Tensor's Transformation comes in pretty handy as a 'last resort' spell. I say last resort since once it's cast, you lose your spell capabilities for the duration of the spell. Really useful when you're cornered though. I had used it as a stored spell with Spell Sequencer, along with a couple of protection spells.

I found I also liked using invisibility and improved invisibility spells, as well as all the different items that grant those abilities. Really allows you to make good use of backstabbing -- especially when you have the Staff of the Magi!

[Removed ToB references - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited September 24, 2001).]

8. Namuras Gems: 13/31

You (luckily) can't backstab with the Staff of the Magi. I've tried.

By the way, cool character Maldir. A mage/thief should do nicely in just about any situation.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.