1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thinking of a Powerplay Party.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Khelben, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Argh i started BG2 999999th time,cuz my system sucks.I'm thinking of a powerplay party.I'll creater 6 of the characters and here's the party:

Human Kensai,maxed STR,DEX and CON
    Role:primary Butcher,Protagonist
    Profiency:+++ Two Weapon Fighting
    +++ Katana
    Level Up:Maxing Katana
    Inventory:Celestial Fury,dual wield with Eqululalelaiser until i think i'll dual wield with Dakkon's Zerth Blade.
    Ring of Gaxx(who saw it coming?)
    Ring of Protection +2
    Cloak of Sewers
    That means AC -2
    Any suggestions?I thought dualling to a mage but i think a single Kensai would be a God in close combat.

Human Inquisitor
    Role:Secondary Butcher,Carsomyr Wielder.Maxed STR CON and CHA,using Gauntlets of Dexterity
    Profiency:++ Two Handed Sword
    ++ Halberd
    ++ Two Handed Weapon Style
    Inventory,Carsomyr,Red Dragon Plate,Red Dragon Helm.

I don't think this is a good choice but i need someone who can wield Carsomyr.So...

Half-Elf Skald
    Maxed CHA 14,15,16 or 17 STR,CON,DEX,INT
    Role:Back Up,2nd spellcaster,Song,Lore.
    Profiency:+ Long Swords
    + Single Weapon Style
    + Short Bow
    + Long Bow
    Inventory:+2 or +3 Longsword(Daystar,Namarra???), Tansheron's Bow,Gesen Bow.

I think Skald rocks,i really want to use it but a fighter/mage seems to fit in this slot too.

Human Swashbuckler
    Maxed,STR,DEX,CON
    Role:Thief,backup fighter,acrobat.
    Profiency:+++ Two Weapon Style
    + Scimitar(in a wise men's topic[Faragon?]i understood that i underestimated the power of Scimitars,dual wielding Belm and Spectral Brand,OMG.)
    Inventory:Belm +2,Spectral Brand,Shadow Dragon Armor,
    With use any item,can use a really heavy plate and helm of balduran.

I needed a thief,and i'm planning to use this or an Assassin.

Human Morninglord of Lathander(Gheez,Icewind Dale)
    OR
    Half Elf or Elf
    Ranger/Cleric

I've never used both so i'm really open to suggestions here.

Elf Sorcerer
    MAX INT and CON maybe DEX(i guess sorcerers don't cast spells over CHA on BG 2)
    Role:Bombing and throwing fireballs on everyone.
    Robe of Vecna
    Staff of the Magi
    BAHROKEN

Ok that's all guys any suggestions or a better party???How about Ranger/Cleric or Morninglord of Lathander?

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Hehe, yep Spectral Brand and Belm kick a copious amount of @ss :D (Threw them on a dwarven barbarian once. It was scary, so good was it ;) )

3. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's sounds quite powerful, but I would go with a Cavalier or an Undead Hunter rather than an Inquisitor. And go with the Morninglord of Lathander for more spell power. You have enough physical power to not need half a ranger.

4. Bang Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] @khelben

Hi khelben,

your party sounds great, but if you like some suggestions, I would suggest, that you try the Cavalier kit instead of the Inquisitor. (tree times a day STR 25, GE 24, KON 24 and 40% reduction to any damage with the right priest spells casted, plus the bonuses in fights against demons and dragons is much better than the bonus from the Inquisitor Kit).

MC ranger/cleric has more power than morninglord of lathander. With morninglord of lathander you will have access to 10 special abilities in TOB, with the MC ranger/cleric you will have the double (!!!) amount, including such cool things like greater whirlwind etc.. Besides that, your ranger/cleric has better THAC0, more HP and is very versatile. You will have access to all druids spells (!!!) as well like insect plague and iron skin. The disadvantage is that you will miss 1 lev. 6 and 4 lev. 7 spells. But your r/c can wear the "wooden heart ring" (?)(TOB), (sorry I don't know the right expression in English), like the symbol of lathander.

5. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Or you can dualclass ranger to cleric and get all druid spells too.

6. Riverwind Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would not make the PC the Kensai because although he does the most offensive physical damage, he's also the weakest defensively and if your PC dies, it's game over.

Also, I would recommend Undead Hunter instead of Inquisitor. Since you're going with such a large party, it's going to be a pain in the neck to protect all your party members particularly your frontliners from level drain, and the spell that protects against it BTW sucks because it lasts for such a short time.

[ March 02, 2003, 20:31: Message edited by: Riverwind ]

7. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Hey, I think you should stick with the Inquisitor and maybe make him/her the PC (Riverwind has a point about the kensai and you won't have to rely on the ring of influence if you choose to sacrafice charisma on your kensai)

Secondly, a multi cleric/mage would be a really good spell caster at high levels and would free up a slot where you wanted Priest of Lathander.

I'm creating my own powergaming party.I was thinking...

Inquisitor (protagonist)

Kensai (human - or maybe half-orc if its possible)

Kensai or an Archer (two kensai's may be a bit boring)

Assasin or a Kensai/thief

Mage/Cleric (multi)

Sorcerer (elf)

The two Kensai's in melee would be very powerful + an assasin for a suprise attack to make sure an enemy isn't around to damage the kensai's too much (kensai/thief would mean the kensai would have no negatives at high levels - but three kensai's is overkill!!). Then there's two powerful spell caster's (one for attack and the other for buffering). Then there's the inquisitor who will quite happily hack away at anything that looks funny + he can wear the amulet that you get off Aran making him perfect for taking out undead.

The only prob is that I want either a bard or shapeshifter in my party, but I don't no which slot to free up...?

8. Riverwind Gems: 1/31

Another reason to go with an Undead Hunter is because in both power-gaming parties presented, no one can turn undead well. If you're going to have six characters in a party, it would be nice to have someone who can turn undead, and with XP split six different ways, a ranger/cleric multi-class or a cleric/mage multi/class doesn't cut it.

Also, I think that Kensai are overrated but perhaps I'll debate that some other day....

--Riverwind

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] the Kensai is a bit over rated but i want to go for major damage in this game and ive never used them before as a single class (always duelled)

I never use turn undead unless i'm swamped by shadows. Its quicker just to chop most undead up!! It all depends on how you play the game and what you find most useful and fun. For you its undead hunters, for me inquisitors...nuf said.

+ pleez don't turn this topic into a "which Paladin is best debate" - theres one already in the "best class" post somewhere and I'm not the argumentative type :)

[ March 02, 2003, 03:28: Message edited by: Malovae ]

10. Khelben Gems: 15/31

Thanks guys,i think i'll stick up with fighter,because i want De'Arnise Hold Stronghold quests,IMO Inquisitor i better than Cavalier who doesn't have True Sight,but i'm bored of Inquisitor and as Bang said,Draw upon Holy Might is great.I might try Ranger/Cleric but AFAIK it levels up slower than Jaheira,which means it can only cast in later game more than one level 7 spell.
    Let's say that a Dualled Kensai to a mage and added an Archer instead of Skald,what would be the right level to do it?I'm thinking of 9,12 seems too much.

11. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

But why do you want to dual wield The Equalizer with your protoganist kensai? It's a longsword (and not one of the best in the game imo)... He's maxed out in Katana, right?

And by the way - this has already been discussed, I think - there's no point in choosing an Undead Hunter over Cavalier/Inquisitor. To counter level drain, just equip Mace of Disruption +2 as a back up weapon for the odd undead fight...

[ March 02, 2003, 11:54: Message edited by: Victor Eremita ]

12. Bang Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@khelben

Everybody loves Kensai/Mage and most people dual their Kensais at lev.9.

My opinion:
    For real powerplay, with TOB installed, the MC Fighter/Mage is a bit more powerful. He will miss some high level spells, but he get special abilities from the fighter pool as well. (I really love Greater whirlwind...)

13. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Kelben - to powerplay the sorcerer you need to max out WIS. Wish. Need I say more?

Nothing like instant rest, double length time stops etc.........

14. Ex-Paladine Banned

[​IMG] It sounds great. You know how to make a Party Khelben

15. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I dont use Belm that long. I know that it has +2 attack, but when enemies need +3 weapons to hit, it becomes pretty useless. I just go to Watcher's keep, get Usuno's blade, then use some other offhand. Foebane for now.

16. Khelben Gems: 15/31

Viking:That's wish spell isn't it?Yeah good idea thanks.
    the Assassin:I don't think +1 damage is that important for i breach everyone anyway,besides AFAIK thieves can't give profiency to Bastard Swords.

17. Kenny42 Gems: 1/31

For some nice powergaming you could consider a dual class Berserker/Cleric. I got some tips from a small guide called "Why sorcerers rule and Berserker/Clerics kick ass". :)
    Tried it once - me like. :cool:
    Link to the document here at SP.

[Edited link. Please don't link directly to files, but to pages where the file can be downloaded from.] -Tal

[ March 08, 2003, 10:38: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.