1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Things that piss you off...for no good reason

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Death Rabbit, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Everyone has these. Things that annoy you to death, and you have no idea why. They just do. I consider myself a pretty happy, laid back guy, and I do get annoyed by the standard fair - bad driving, people who talk in movies, crabs...ya know, the usual. But are there things that just get to you? Things you don't dare complain about out loud for fear of your friends or peers saying to themselves, "Dude...what an ass." Here are a few of mine.

The Affro. You know, the poofy round cotton ball lookin' hair? Why on earth would anyone deliberately make their head look like brown brocolli? I keep expecting a giant golf club to come out of the sky and bash their heads into oblivion. Now this isn't a racial thing; this is just as popular among white kids these days. So I'm not a racist, I just can't stand stupid hairstyles, no matter how trendy. Does that make me a coifist? Hmm. I think I just invented a new form of discrimination! Cool.

People who try to sound artsy by referring to all movies as "films." Doesn't matter if it's Citizen Cane or Finding Nemo..."Oh, I saw that the other day. It's a great film." No. There are movies, and there are films. "Films" are artistic/political/independent, or what you watch in driver's education class. "Movies" are popcorn-munchin' goodness. I already know you're a pretentious dork, but stop proving it okay? Anyone with me on this?

People who sit in Starbucks all day with a laptop, trying to look all "jet-set" and important. Whatever. You're a rich kid with a $3,000 iBook and nothing better to do than sit and chat with your zero friends in a trendy coffee chain. You're not studying (it's too loud), you're not working (you're too lazy), and you're not typing anything important (you're too stupid). You're playing f-cking Solitaire. God, wouldn't it be nice to be 30 and able to go out of your way to create the illusion that you have the "freedom" to relax with a nice latte' in your cute little sandals while all the people with real jobs rush through YOUR hangout on their lunchbreaks? Douchebag. (Yes, I used to work at Starbucks. Not bitter, nope nope nope).

Why do I care? Why do these things piss me off? They shouldn't, but they do. Anyway...I know I'm not alone here. What are yours?

EDIT: There's already a thread in whatnots about the things that people hate. Oddly enough, it was titled "Things people hate."I don't want this to turn into another thread about that.

This thread is about the things that piss you off for no good reason. Please don't just list things that piss you off for obvious reasons, such as rude people or daily inconveniences. Thank you.

[ August 21, 2003, 23:29: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    :lol: Nice one Death Rabbit! PMSL!

I'm not sure whether these would be classed as universal irritations or not, but here goes:

People with unnecessarily big and flashy cars. These people really get my goat. People who have the latest 'F-ck off big Land Rover' when only they use it. Why? The answer is simple, they do it to show off their (often undeserved) wealth. Gits!

Babies... in general. Now, I may come up to stiff barbs on this one. But babies are horrible nasty things! They are fat, ugly andthere faces look all scrunched up like they just sucked on a lemon. They cry 24/7. Their bodyclock is wrong, much to the chagrin of the parents (constant 2am trips to shut the little f-cker up) Really annoy me babies do!

Wasps. Why? Why o'why? Whoever or whatever made the Planet Earth they musta been having a right laugh with this one. They are personified in one word: Pointless.
    At least Bee's when they sting you, die almost instantly after, so you feel gratified that you have some kind of revenge. Not these little bastards. They serve no purpose. Bee's make honey, Wasps don't. They seem to live to irritate and sting, then fly off before you can swot the little ****s!

Rant over! :rolleyes:

Thanks Death Rabbit! lol

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    First, let us set the record straight: not all of the following annoy me for irrational reasons. They only piss me off automatically, without much conscious effort (edit: sometimes to a really irrational level). The order is purely accidental.

1. Unneeded repetitions. Dumb stone age level music also belongs here and a great deal of school maths. So far as maths go, having to write down obvious things insults my intelligence and robs me of my time that is my holy right to waste on my own. This is a somatic reaction involving my labirynth.

2. People who lie or deceive me without doing their best to succeed. That is plain disrespect. Normal lying doesn't piss me off nearly as much.

3. People with flawed logic, especially those who conclude your arguments or paragraphs to fit their argumentation and not summarise yours. Those will never learn. This in many cases is a somatic reaction.

4. People who can't control their libido in public places and behave as though they were in a private bedroom. In many cases this is a somatic reaction.

5. Insulting manner. Especially in young people who think they've mastered it all. Cowardice also increases piss-off ratio here.

6. People who pull their modem when they lose a multiplayer game.

7. Edit: I indeed forgot this one. Thanks to Death Rabbit for pointing it out. I hereby add all pinky and sissy stuff, especially things that happen during gay pride parades. I indeed forgot to add them when making this post. In almost all cases this is a somatic reaction involving my labirynth.

8. Watered down alcohol. Namely: deception, theft, insult to my intelligence. I will always know.

9. Watered down coffee. Namely: deception, theft, insult to my intelligence, putting my life in danger to save a fraction of a buck ;)

10. Following #8 and #9, people who will do anything to save a ridiculous amount of resources or effort.

11. People who expect to be treated better than they treat people. Also people for whom doing harm to another and being harmed by another are two completely different problems.

12. People who have enough courage and wit when it comes to doing things but don't have enough cojones to face the consequences.

13. People who criticise what they don't know and repeat irrational accusations they heard somewhere. For example I've seen my church (RC) being attacked for not allowing a widow to re-marry.

14. People who confuse their own preference with logical truth or with moral issues and present it this way (e.g. giving one's opinion as a fact). There is no clear distinction here. This is, in most cases, a somatic reaction, usually involving my labirynth. False data passed as truth by majority vote is the most extreme case here (as though one could vote on something physically measurable the way they choose the movie of the year).

15. Willing stupidity.

16. Intrusive advertising. Looped pop-ups or TV ads with increased sound volume belong here, so does anything that keeps me waiting and delays my affairs. What the hell do they think, that I will buy anything from them after they treat me this way? I will purposefully buy even worse items for even more money from whomever else.

Edit: @DR, I think I can't recall any completely irrational ones, only irrational reactions. I suppose the following ones are closer to irrational than the ones above:

17. When I close my door I mean it. Don't you dare leave it open if it had been closed before you entered.

18. My room isn't really orderly. But my mess is my mess. Take yours with yourself or face my fury. Most people fail to see the difference.

19. I believe that people's names should be pronounced with some more respect than common nouns or even proper names. In most cases I will ask the offender to say my name again.

20. I hate the word 'cool' used in any other meaning than mildly cold. I hate people's declining words that don't decline. I shiver from improper conjugations too.

21. Defocusing renders me mad and so does pointless waiting or waiting that could have been avoided with a minimal level of cerebral activity on someone's part. This is separate and different from my general hatred for willing or negligent stupidity.

22. I hate anything other than lean meat as far as food of animal origin goes. Fat, veins, tendons etc almost make me puke.

23. People who believe that compromising your values is a matter of tolerance and that making concessions is the basis of kindness and expect people to act accordingly. What point following your religion if you say it's equally as true and worthy as any other one? People who follow their own expectations of this kind piss me off to a lesser extent, not involving my labirynth.

24. People who demand undue kindness. Somatic reaction, labirynth involved. People who demand politeness earn my respect, but not people who demand kindness for themselves. It's like asking someone to love you and feeling OK with begged love.

25. Men who treat women badly. Not everyone has to be a gentleman, but no matter how commonish one aspires to be, some borders are never to be crossed. While this is a perfectly legitimate reason to get cosmically pissed off, in serious cases I see white all around me and need someone or something to hold me straight and I always take the insult as personal (while I normally disregard any personal insult not touching anyone other than myself). Rumour has it that my right hand goes immediately to my left hip. A lecture is unavoidable.

26. Probably the most irrational of them all: using foreign languages when it's not needed. To say that it makes me pissed is a grave understatement. Making up words outside of normal word formation works on me the same way and so do some dumb odd names. This is a somatic reaction involving my labirynth.

That's it. Sorry for the length.

[ August 21, 2003, 21:58: Message edited by: chevalier ]

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ chev

While I agree with everything on your list, they'd pretty much piss anyone off. I'm asking about things that are irrational (even though you absolved yourself from the topic in your first sentance). Things that shouldn't piss you off, but do anyway. So - have you any ridiculous hangups? And they better be wacky.

By the way - at the risk that #7 was supposed to be "People who point out my mistakes," I hereby respectfully point out...that you left out #7. ;) :p :D

5. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@ Chevalier -- I totally agree with #14! NOTHING ticks me off more than that... It's so... grrrr. There's facts such as there are only 200 Siberian tigers left in the wild and then there are opinions like the Red Sox are the best baseball team ever. Disguising opinions as facts (the Easter bunny likes REAL eggs more than plastic ones) will not make anyone believe/agree with you more, it will only tick them off. A lot.

I also get annoyed with little kids that a) have no imagination, b) have major authority issues and will NOT under any circumstances do what you tell them if you are under 18 but then when an adult or a parent is around they're perfect little angels so then the adults won't believe you and think you just can't handle kids and c)kids who are determined to be miserable -- I mean seriously, what's up with that? You can either have fun and enjoy yourself and sulk, refusing to have fun because you want to be miserable but WHY WHY WHY would you want to?
    ~Yeah I was teaching little kids vacation bible school this week, can you tell?

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] 1. People with clean desks. Maybe I'm just jealous because mine is always such a mess, but they drive me nuts.
    2. People who, when in their car, think that the glass makes them invisible. I don’t need to see them brush their hair, pick their nose, etc.
    3. The colour pink.
    4. Those stupid plastic forks and knives that they give out at a BBQ, and then expect you to eat a steak with them. Sure, I guess I should be happy that they’re serving steak instead of burgers, but what the hell’s the point if you can’t cut the damn thing?
    5. Cell phones.

I'm know there are more, but this is off the top of my head.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Seems to me that we believe that we all have very good reasons to be pissed off.

Also, after reading these peoples' posts, I'm almost definitely sure that I piss people off, or have done so in the past, in at least one respect.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Death Rabbit:
    Chevalier:
    Death Rabbit:
    So, if it pisses you off DR, why do you do it? ;)

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Touche, BTA. He added that after I said it, thank you very much.

*covers mouth - "cough, cough, anal, cough, cough, retentive, cough, cough" *

:p

10. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Stop, stop, stop. "Movie/s" is one of those English words you don't remember anyway, because all you memory ability has been wasted on learning "going to the cinema", so you stay with "film" because it's easier to say, spell and remember.

11. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

This is going to sound really crazy, but cluttered coffee tables, end tables, and dining room tables REALLY piss me off - if I see random cups floating around the living room, I go from zero to insane in 2.5 seconds.

Not sure why... maybe I'm just Anal.

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I agree Yago - that's more of an American pet peeve. I wouldn't expect a European to say "movie" because "cinema" is the norm in Europe. My beef is with people who deliberately oversay "films" to try to look sophisticated, when instead they look like complete dildos. It's like holding up a sign that says "Please listen to me...I'm cultured and deep." Usually the same dorks who spout horrible poetry in coffee houses just to get laid. Maybe this is more of an "art school" pet peeve than anything, but I think you get my point.

13. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

[​IMG] It's weird that none has mentioned the phenomenon of corrupt friends. You know when they're all nice to when you're there, but they won't even give a notice if there's something like a party and they're supposed to invite you....

14. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    People who don't spell properly
    Pop Idol
    Popstars
    Fame Academy
    'Asylum Seekers'
    Terry Wogan
    Politics
    Cricket
    Me

15. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] @ Chev again cuz he added after I posted -- On #26, I would just like to point out as a wannabe English major (and huge Shakespeare fan) that languages grow and evolve from slang and other languages. Eventually common phrases in other languages (c'est La Vie, Adios muchacho) can become words in a different language. And without the evolution of words, languages would die out -- like Latin. (I am slightly surprised that this would be a pet peeve of yours seeing as how you learn languages in your spare time because you should know all this) Also Shakespeare invented MANY new words for English and in doing so was able to express newer and more complex ideas. Without him we wouldn't be able to explain sneaky. And we all know that the thiefs on this network enjoy being sneaky ;)

Without the further continuation of new words, all of civilization would be lost!! :wail: Okay so maybe I over-dramatized the last piece, I can't help it, I love words.

And besides if more words weren't invented, fantasy would also lose it's edge because people couldn't add in new monsters like flygers (flying tigers) or idgets or dingbats or anything!!! :eek:

So um yeah. Sorry, it's always a pet peeve of mine when people are like "I hate it when people invent new words." :good:

*****Umm I'd delete all that cuz I just reread Chev's post and realized that I'd misread it and now I feel intensely stupid but I'll just blush, sit here and feel VERY silly******

16. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

my sister
    her friends
    my sisters computer(it ALWAYS ***** up and i have to fix it)
    pools of radiance
    rap
    pop
    michael jackson
    jesse jackson
    school
    Mrs. clark my english teacher(god she always pisses me off somehow)
    gay pride parades, as chev pointed out
    idiots, im allergic to em
    sexist teachers
    hypocrits
    people who think that they are better than everyone else
    people who cheat in multiplayer games
    people who pull the plug in multi-player games when they lose, mainly in age of mythology and age of empires 2(i dont get credit for the win)
    people who come to my house. make a mess and leave without helping to clean it up
    people who waste good drinks by drinking a little bit and then leaving it on the table when they leave(mainly cuz i have to clean it all up)
    abuse of any kind, it happened to my father and my grandfather, my pets(rescued from shelters after abuse) i will not tolerate it
    my grandfather, just the sight of him sets me off
    foreigners who work in a country other than where they were born and do not know the language or try to learn it
    major drug addicts, alchol not included
    kids who do not understand authority
    people who do mass murder sprees and stuff just to see if they can
    child rapists
    people who eat there food then purposely throw it up so they dont have to go to school(there are people who die of starvation everyday and they waste food just so they dont have to go to school)
    irresponsible parents
    officers in the military who do nothing but kiss ass(which is most of them)
    people with and insane amount of piercings and/or tattoo's a few of each i dont mind but tattoos all over the body 6 piercings in each ear and a belly button and nose and tongue piercing to go with it, THAT pisses me off
    backstabbing friends
    politicians
    george W. bush
    bill clinton

i believe ive summed up most of what pisses me off here its a pretty long list :D

edit: just a few spelling errors i made

17. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Hmm. :bang: Maybe I wasn't too clear above. There's already a thread in whatnots about the things that people hate. Oddly enough, it was titled "Things people hate."I didn't want this to turn into another thread about that.

This thread is about the things that piss you off for no good reason. Stating the thing AND a logical reason kind of kills the spirit, you know?

I hate to be picky, but damn. :nolike:

18. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Rustling.

Paper, wrapping, plastic, leaves. Anything that rustles just drills directly into my brain and drives me crazy. Grrr.

19. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Death Rabbit: I agree with you, this post should explore more irrational stuff IMHO. :D

I personally get pissed (but I usually don't show it ;) ) when I meet in the elevator neighbours I almost never talked to, and then they start talking about bullsh*ts like the weather or anything else just because they cannot stand the silence for 30 seconds. :mad: :rolleyes: :cool:

20. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I hate some stuff that my sister likes for no good reason. For example some of her music; there's nothing particularly wrong with it, but I kinda make myself hate it. And I do not hate my sister, so it's not that either.

I also hate certain fabrics for some reason... (I'm not expected to expand on that any further anyways, so I'll stop there :D )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.