1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Things I Never Knew ...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Feb 23, 2006.

1. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

As to Tazok.

I seem to recall that if you talk to him right that he'll call you a traitor or something like that and you can actually kill him to the death. As well as the bandits that brought you into the camp. It's been a long time since I tried such things though.

I don't remember if he's in the camp if you just attack it without going through all the sneakiness of joining the bandits or not.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:lol: :shake:
    You can never kill Tazok except through trickery, because no matter what he said before attacking he will always try to talk to you when you've gotten him down to less than half his hitpoints; it requires 50 damage since he has 98 HP. (Though that may change in Tutu with Kivan, since he actually gives a crap then and might do something.)

And Tazok is not there unless you "join".

3. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    And even if you manage to kill him, you'll stil meet him in the undercity. :) Just like Angelo if he remains in the FF HQ because of Shar-Teel and you kill him when you assault the place.

Not fair!

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Has anyone been able to kill Shandalar? I;ve tried with every trick I could think of and haven't been able to kill him. I haven't tried with Tutu, although I should be geting there soon.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I've managed to kill him once, but it's not worth the trouble. Just pickpocket him.

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

26000 XP and IIRC -5 reputation. No need to kill him, especially if you're not playing evil.

7. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Of course there is no need to kill him. But I was playing through evil and it seemed like the thing to do. No luck so far, I will have to try more tactics. It's a matter of principle now.

8. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Perhaps I should think on it a bit longer (no time), but at the moment I cannot think of any other rational way to kill him than Magic Missiles. It is a very easy method, but of course you need more Wizards. Or you need one wizard, with the Ring of Wizardry, and many magic missiles memorized.

The "let's attack him and pray for critical hits" is not a working tactic unfortunately; not even with tens of summoned hobgoblins, I guess.
    Why? In case of Shandalar, time is your enemy. (Provided that you have proper protections.) Time is your enemy, because once he cast all his spells, he will leave via teleport ("Dimension Door") ...

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I remember a loOoooOong time ago, I was tackling one of those areas south of candlekeep, umm it was loaded wit ogres and sh!t and I think the Ogre Mage that you get that nice helm off is there too. Anyways, I remember that there's that priest in the middle of the map that helps you against all those big nasty foes. I think he was called the Healer. Anyway, after you talk 2 him I remember he says that his brother was Daevoren, from the Cloakwood mines and that if you saw him that you should exact justice on him. When you finally meet the evil mage in the mines can anything happen with this? Just been on my mind last time I played.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

^Not really. You just get more info on what's going on with the players in the iron shortage. He was the Surgeon, btw. It's where you find Shoal the Neriad.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Ahh yes that's right! Hmm well I guess that sheds some light on things.

12. Arawn Gems: 4/31

Shandalar is most easily killed by buffing and then casting multiple webs around him, when he fails his save start pelting him with missiles. When his protections goes up, three mages with magic missiles will finish him off. Protections against confusion and fear is a must.

13. Naghite Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I recently got this game from a friend. Anyway, going through it a second time as evil, so I decided to kill Shandalar. Web's probably work fine, but I read this post after. I used stinking cloud and then used magic arrows/magic missles. I ended up re-loading and killing him about 5 times this way for kicks. Once it only took 3 stinking clouds, but normally more. Since my char is a mage with edwin in the group, I have lots of magic, just no hp :) With stinking cloud, this really is not a hard mob, and at 26000 exp, a gem and FOUR level 4/5 spells as well as the robe of the neutral magi, overall it was well worthwhile as evil. Cost a few 100 gp to get back the faction hit anyway. I should also note, that if he is able to cast a spell, his first is shield *cast dispell about a one count after he starts casting*, generally he couldn't get a shot off with his shield instantly disarmed. All my char were spread around the SC square. He only ever hit one person with any spell if he did get it off, but more often than not, he never could get more than 2 spells off on any attempt.

14. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Here is just a random piece of information that fits under this topic that i found out in my last game. You can kill Jhondalar (or what ever his name is), the one that gives you the one on one fighting tutorial in candlekeep. I had 3 home made party members from a multiplayer save transferred to single player (in tutu) and 2 of the scored criticals against him and took him down before he could speak again. A handy 175xp at the beginning of the game.

15. Felinoid

Jondalar: 75 HP. Unless you go MP, he's not going down.

16. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I was lucky then, my paladin scored a critical hit with a longsword for 36, my thief scored a critical hit for about 28 and my fighter got in there with a 20.

17. w.d. Gems: 4/31

ummm... there's an abuse method too for shandalar...
    if u click on him to initiate dialog, he will turn his attention towards you and wont go hostile even if you start hitting him with other chars... and it's not a set ammount of reputation you lose, it depends on what ur reputation actually is, ie. at rep 20 u lose 10.
    with TUTU Im almost positive tazok cant be killed...
    unless I somehow managed to do less than 98 damage to him, tho Im 99% sure I did more than that, you can just lure him with 1 (bait char) and pelt with the rest of the party (I abuse every fight)...
    ooo I got one, this isnt really unknown, but TOTSC adds a 3rd full plate mail, it's on the dwarf warior that you get to control, in the wyvren room of DT.. (I always thought there was only 2, but my latest runthrough proved me wrong)...
    question, who's the skeleton @ ulcaster? he's one mean cookie. And are there any magic clubs in bg1+totsc?

18. Felinoid

*snerk* Fake Talk is a well-known trick. (So much so that it has a name.)
    I do believe some versions of EasyTutu do make him unkillable, though not regular Tutu AFAIK.
    The Root of the Problem, seen in BG2, was cut from BG1, though the item is still in the game files. For vanilla unmodded BG1, the answer is no.

19. w.d. Gems: 4/31

... just wanted to mention it ... after all shandalar clearly isnt supposed to get killed, so w/e way you do it is skill abuse..

yep, easy TUTU sry...

20. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I have killed him in an EasyTutu game. Lots of web and ranged weapons, and a cloud kill or two.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.