1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thieves quest problem/error

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sandor the Irrelevant, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have been doing the theives quest and run into a problem.

First let me say that my last saved game was ages ago and my last quick save was after the error occured but before I realized it.

I have done all the assignments that Edwin and the head guy have assigned me. So I was told to talk to Edwin once again and he said that he knew I was spying. I denied everything and eventually he attacked me and disappeared. Now I can't get the key to the safe to get the proof I need.

Can anyone help me out?

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I never lied to Edwin that I was a spy so I always managed to get the key off him. Without it, you're probably stuffed.

I suppose you could always use Shadowkeeper or the CLUA to cheat in the key.

Or maybe you could kill Maevar anyway and then head to the shadow thief boss (whose name I can't quite remember right now) and he might reward you anyway.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The Shadow Thief you need to report to is Renal Bloodscalp. However, he recruited you to find proof. I seriously doubt that killing Mae'Var without proof is a way to complete the quest. If it was that easy, Renal - as he points out to you when you first talk to him - could merely do it himself.

4. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I hate to say it, but I think your best bet is to cheat in the key. That should fix the now broken quest.

5. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

This may be a stupid question, but have you checked your autosaves? I'm pretty sure that the house where Edwin sends you to assasinate the Cowled Mage is an all party required place. If so, then it would have autosaved when you left. If not, then you should at least have one coming into the Harbour district from robbing the temple. If that doesn't help, all I can say is sorry, and I hope you're able to solve your problem.

6. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Thanks everyone.
    Anyone know what the cheet code for the key is?

7. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

ummm...I don't know if this is a glitch, but the first time I played this quest, I was overly ambitious and I believe I broke into Mae'var's chest and then got the key afterwards. Have you tried picking? bashing? spelling? the lock?

8. Xindell Gems: 6/31

Hmm, I seem to remember that Mae'Var's strongbox is one of those chests that can't be opened without the key. Not by picking, bashing, nor spell. But, if you say you did it, I'll take your word.

Sandor, the code you want to use is:

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("edwinkey")

Make sure you've got your cheats turned on first.

9. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Like I sid it might have been a glitch. I've had my fair share of odities in BGII. Either that or I'm remembering wrong.

10. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Shouldn't Edwin HAVE the key on his corpse after you kill him? IIRC, if you don't lie and don't let him join, he gives you the key. If you don't lie and let him join, you get two copies of the key (one given to you, one on his inventory when he joins).

If you do lie, you kill him and my guess is the key is on his dead body. Check the body again. If the bodies are gone, look for Edwin's staff - it should be where he also dropped the key.

[EDIT] oops didn't read that he disappeared as supposed to died... hmmmm... all I can think of is talk to Renal Bloodscalp. Maybe he'll end the incomplete quest for you.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Cheat it in mate...your only option. Talking to Renal Bloodscalp doesn't solve the incomplete quest...you just end up getting screwed.

12. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

I tried this out just to see what would happen.

When you lie to Edwin, he says that he's going to try to win some points with Mae'var by handing over your head to him, summons in five hostile thieves, and then casts a teleport spell (display screen literally says "Edwin-Teleport") and disappears in a puff of smoke. The thieves are fairly easily dealt with, but once they're dead, no Edwin. I tried to Detect Illusions at the spot where he vanished, I tried visiting Mae'var and talking to him (got the red "Mae'var has nothing to say to you."), I looked for him in the strongbox room, and I even looked in the spot at the Copper Coronet where he goes if you refuse his entry into your party. He's just gone, period. Kind of lame to leave such a huge dead end like that.

Incidentally, when Mae'var first tells you to go see Edwin, you can march up, kill him, and find the key on his corpse, (presumably avoiding the whole business of killing Gethras, Marcus and the documents, and Embarl). Note that you must strike decisively, because Edwin attempts to cast Mirror Image and then split if you attack him, and presumably disappears forever if he successfully gets away. I was able to kill him (laid a preliminary trap behind him, backstabbed, and the trap killed him when he turned hostile), used the key to get the incriminating documents, and then ran by Mae'var to see what he'd do, and he said something like, "Kill a member of my guild, will you? I'll show you!" and turned hostile.

I have to say that I think the "lie to Edwin" path should result in a valid conclusion to this quest. If you choose to play dumb, it angers him, and in addition to summoning in the five thieves, he stays and fights you with them. Either you die, or kill everyone and take the key off of his corpse. Or, you can just admit that you're a spy and finish the quest the conventional way. I'm not sure what Bioware was thinking with having Edwin teleport out of existence.

13. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sounds like an unfinished quest. I'd imagine if Edwin tells you he's going to spill the beans to Mae'var, that's exactly what he should do. You head down to the basement to fight it out with Mae'var and you have Edwin fighting against you as well.

That would certainly be a better conclusion to the quest than no Edwin and no way of finishing the Quest.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.