1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Ultimate Assassin

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Benan, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

My latest character is an Elvin assassin, weilding either Cutthroat or Lifestealer (stolen from Artemis through the console) and Short Sword of Backstabbing. Wearing Boots of Speed, Cloak of Non-Detection, Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, Girdle of Frost Giant Strength, Rings of Regeneration and Danger Sense, and Karajahs Armour +3. He's damn near unstoppable with the poison weapon.

2. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

And if you get the Item Upgrade mod, Cromwell can forge you a few really neat items especially for thieves.

[ January 27, 2004, 17:28: Message edited by: Djieff ]

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just one question: Why did you go with an elf rather than a halfling?

The halfling gets better thieving bonuses (important for an assassin), potentially 19 Dex (and more thief points), and the saving throw bonuses for Con (which is better than an elfs IMHO). And the max Str penalty is a non-issue since you're using a Str belt.

Not that it sounds like you're having much trouble anyway. :D

4. Benan Gems: 20/31

Not sure why I went with an Elf instead of a halfling. I really can't think of a reason.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Maybe he wants to RP the assassin...elves make cooler assassins than Halflings IMHO.

Also, elves get the stealth and move silently benefits, though I doubt its a significant advantage over the Halfling.

6. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

And of course elves can also get 19 dex.

7. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Why are you using that armour for? Aegars Hide (also bought from Ribald's) provides AC3, +2 AC over Karajahs Armour +3 and gives 15% res to fire, cold and acid (i think its these three) and imunity to confusion. If its the weight that your concerned about, Armour of Deep Night has the same AC of 3 and is low weight - though does not have the bonuses. Elves are way cooler than Halflings!

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

How did you allocate your thieving points?

You're not wearing an amulet? You might be able to wear an Ioun Stone, but I can't remember if thieves can use them.

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31

As far as I can remember, an unmodded game allows for Ioun stones to be worn by thieves.

Don't forget about katana's for better backstab damage.

Last thing is that 'single weapon style' maybe better as it doubles the chance for critical hit and improves AC which is alot more useful for an assassin. This means that there is X2 chance of doubling your backstab. Switching to Tuigen Short Bow (a must for any self respecting assassin ;) ) is much easier as well with this style. An extra attack and even worse THAC0 from 'Two Weapon Style' is not helpful for a thief.

There is a mod that allows all rogues to put three slots in 2 weapon style which makes it somewhat better but it also changes some kits and may be ToB only.

10. Benan Gems: 20/31

A katana wouldn't be better then Lifestealer +4. I'm not using that armour anymore. I found the codes for the Throne of Bhaal weapons. So now my Assassin is using the Armour that grants Haste and the Boots of Elvinkind. Along with the Theif Hood.

By the way this isn't the first time I played so using the console for wicked weapons is just a way to make things more intersting.

11. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

well, I made an assa and dual classed after he got max backstabb, (was a pain getting thief class back), but it was well worth it... (dual'd into a mage). And well, staff of the magi is awsome as well as staff of striking, (+9 dmg ;) ). Staff of the RAM is better but you only get it with ToB, sorry :( btw, I was doing well over 100 dmg :rolleyes:

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I must sadly say that you character is 'not' the ultimate assassin. Since you've used the console to give yourself items it wouldn't be wrong to use SK. A fighter/assassin is far better than a straight assassin for his higher HP, more attacks per round, lower THAC0 and weapon specilisation.

Frankly I would have taken a halfling too. What's cooler than an elf who strikes from the shadows and leaves nothing in his wake? A halfling who does the same since everyone underestimates halflings.

13. Benan Gems: 20/31

Yeah the console just makes it more interesting though. I enjoy being able to backstab a troll for 55 points of damage. And also I don't have Shadow Keeper.

Everybody expects a Halfling assassin though. As soon as you'd see halfling in leather armour you'dexpect to get your pocket picked. You seen an Elf though and you don't expect it.

14. keldor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

'Cool' - ho hum! Cool is for kids...be an adult and have the self-confidence to be yourself (even if you have no sense of style or dress!). This way, you'll be more likely to be *unique*. After all, who is best, that cardboard cutout 'cool dude' Artemis, or Drizzt?

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    If we wanted act like adults, we wouldn't be playing make-believe with a computer game. :p

Playing games is all about having fun according to each person's individual idea of what "fun" is. As long as you're enjoying the game, what does it matter how you play it?

16. Malovae Gems: 18/31

How would life stealer be better than a katana?

The point in backstab is to do as much damage as possible and lifestealer does 1d4+4 damage whilst even your bog standard katana does more with 1d10. The 15% chance of draining 4 levels is nice but since your using the console you may as well give yourself Blackrazor longsword which gives the same chance of draining 4 levels, chance of healing 20hp, regen 1hp every 5 secs.

Daggers are good for roleplay Assassins but you seemed to be powergaming - sorry if I'm wrong.

17. Benan Gems: 20/31

Drizzt is way cooler then Artemis. Artemis is known just as a killer. Drizzt would help the old across the street then cut any thugs throat that tried to steal her purse. Remember kids you don't need to be evil to be cool.

As for using Life Stealer instead of a Katana. I find that a dagger is the prototypical assassin weapon. I can't see alot of assassins walking around with long ass katana instead of short dagger such as Life Stealer, Cutthroat or the Starfell dagger.

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31

What are you talking about? Drizzt is nothing compared to Entreri. Obviously you haven't read 'That Curious Sword' by R.A. Salvatore. The post 'The Silent Blade' Aretemis is a very interesting character, far more interesting than Drizzt 'oh-look-at-me-a-redeemed-drow-nobody-saw-THIS-coming' Do'Urden.

19. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Arguing about "which is cooler--Drizzt or Artemis?" is equivalent to "which is smarter--a rock or a chunk of iron?" :rolleyes:

Back on-topic, if he's evil then the armor to use is the Human Flesh--bar none the best armor for a thief thanks to its MR and save bonuses. Otherwise, go with Malovae and Aeger's Hide, though the Shadow Dragon Armor and the Shadow Armor are also good alternatives.

20. Malovae Gems: 18/31

The basic rule I go by is if I upgrade Aegars Hide with the Upgrade mod then thats my armour for the whole game. Otherwise I get the Shadow Dragon Armour as shimmering black armour looks good on an assassin.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.