1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Ugly Stick and Algy's cloak

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Iku-Turso, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    [​IMG] Somewhere in here I read about using the Rod of Terror and RoHI to get 25 charisma by going negative while wearing RoHI. Character doesn't die because of the ring and the game donesn't allow negative numbers in character stats. Does this work with the Cloak of Algernon as well?

And what about cursed scrolls of ugliness? Do they lower stats permanently? See where I'm getting at?

What about the Ring of Folly? Does it KEEP Int and Wis in 3. So that even if you'r Int or Wis should be lowered to 0 wihtout the ring you wouldn't die, but could go all the way to negative and to 25? Can't remember if there's enough scrolls or even ANY scrolls that lower WIS permanently. Would be interesting to know however.

This would open interesting power-gaming opportunities, that could be justified in role-playing way of thinking as well:

Think about your caharacter finding about a strange ritual, using cursed scrolls and a ring of folly to gain divine wisdom by cursing herself with stupidity and foolishness. Or gaining heavenly beauty (or handsomness) by cursing oneself with ugliness while wearing a strange cloak of infinite charms.

This would more plausible rpg-wise, than using the Ugly stick, although a Ritual of Divine Beauty which includes beating the frights in to other people sounds kind of quirky as well.

I kinda got the idea from those silly mages in the second floor of Sorcerous Sundries in Baldur's gate, who were performing some ritual with a ring of clumsiness, scrolls of identify and scrolls of luck...could it be that they just had the wrong scrolls and the wrong ring?

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

What lowers INT permanently? Just curious.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

The Ring of Folly casts Feeblemind in addition to setting your INT and WIS to 3. I believe Cursed Scrolls of Stupidity do the same thing, but neither will decrease your stats permanently.

Since Algernon's/Nymph Cloak gives you +2 to CHA, you could conceivably knock your CHA down to '1' with the Rod of Terror and then take off your cloak so it would then be '-1', but I'm not sure if that would wrap around to 25 or just cause a game glitch. It's a bit too cheesy for me to try, and if you really want 25 CHA, you can just make an item that will do it directly.

4. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Yeah well, if cursed scrolls don't work permanently, then it's a prety useless idea...I'm still going to try however, just to see what happens. Because of the cheesiness factor I won't probably like the game if it should work. Pumped-up characters and items have less flavour and tend to unbalance the game a bit too much to my liking.

it's fun to find new glitches, tweaks and bugs however, as long as they don't crash the game completely or unbalance it too much.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I know this might be silly, but by the time you get yourself a 25 CHA, won't you be able to easily afford anything you want in the game anyway?

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    So true, and if I have no qualms about using such a cheezy way to get that charisma, I shouldn't have any problems in selling/stealing either.

Kind of entertained the idea of having this mr. 25 charisma person from the first bg to the end of ToB, but having second thoughts on that already, and if it can't be done with the scrolls, it won't be worth it in my book, even if it might not be worth anything anyway.

No harm in trying.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.