1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Sucky Music Thread

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Disciple of The Watch, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Following the ever-wise Beren's advice, I decided to open this thread about music that sucks.

I personally hate rap. My brother was able to make a rap song beat by putting a rug, 33 pennies and a quarter in the dryer. Never laughed my ass so much. He even thought of selling the beat to a friend of a friend who is a rapper...

Everyone, on your marks... Set... BITCH!

[ November 17, 2005, 20:30: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Any "music" that is just a continuously repeated beat that you could create in 3 seconds by pushing the rhythm button on your Yamaha Home Organ. I think people call this sort of noise "Drum and Bass" or something like that (even though it contains neither a real drum or a real bass).

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I detest little American rock bands. They all sound the same and it winds me up listening to them for some reason.

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Let me think what I hate:
    -rap and hip-hop I refuse to call that c*** music
    -techno - I can listen to my car's engine and it would be the same
    -all those sugar sweet pop stars like Britney and so on *shrugs*
    -so called pop rock (all those bands like Moron 5, Coldplay)
    -so called nu-metal (what a moron named that c*** with the holy name of metal :mad: !?)
    -Metallica - St. Anger
    -all those metal bands that changed they style dramaticaly and/or used too much keys&samples (Theatre of Tragedy, Samael, Metallica)

5. Disciple of The Watch

@Undertaker: I totally agree with you. Old Samael and old ToT was good stuff, though. I still have Samael's Ceremony of Opposites vinyl lying somewhere around. ToT's Velvet Darkness They Fear also. I love that album. But their new stuff plainly ****ing sucks. The same for Samael.

6. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

I always wonder how it came to this.
    Samael - first 3 albums are now legendary (I love Ceremony of Oppisites :D , bow down!), same goes for ToT (Aegis was not bad :p , only Liv's :love: voice forced me to listen to their later albums)
    Or Paradise Lost (but they latest album rocks!)

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's another way of putting the point I was trying to make. Although I see that this thread is soon going to become an obscuro-metal thread. Even the metal fans don't like metal, it seems.

8. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Correction - we don't like sellouts.

9. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Well, not *all* metal, hell no. I don't like excessive use of keyboards in metal. I think synth solos are one of the worst ideas ever. Metal at its best is to me the best music in the world; metal at its worst is pretty damn awful.

I've become less passionate about hating music over the years, but I'm still very picky with what I actually like. I can respect and find good qualities even in music I don't like, if it's well done within the framework of that particular kind of music. And since I don't listen to the radio or watch mtv, I don't get exposed to much crap.

One genre *really* grates on my nerves, though: The thing they've taken to calling r'n'b (it has *nothing* to do with rhythm and blues). It's monotonic and phony, obviously tailormade to be eezy-lisnin featherweight bubblegum to generate a quick cashflow for megacorporate execs who have no interest in music as anything other than a product to be sold to the exploitable masses.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

From Undertaker:
    :shake: Too late, son. You just did.

And also:
    And those would be metal bands that most of the free world has heard of or just the ones with recording deals?

I don't like Sean Combs and his 'revamped' songs, like Every Breath You Take which he called something else, but at least Sting got his greedy fingers in the :money: pie, bless his heart!

And these 'cover songs' which are just the old song being sung by someone else. If you want to make it different, then do so, but just don't sing the exact same song as what you are covering! Example - Listen to Your Heart remake :bs: by Emdee, which sounds identical to Roxette's original. At least Kelly Osbourne revved up Papa Don't Preach.

11. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There is not much left, then. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I cannot understand when someone is narrowminded about genres.

I happen to like all kinds of music, even country. I'm just terribly picky about the interpreters. In some genres my selection is very narrow. Take country: I like Johnny Cash, Calexico, and Allison Krauss. That's it. The rest is awful, IMO.

I don't like music that seems to underchallenge the listener. Most contemporary so-called pop 'artists' fall into this category. [All music short of classical and jazz is pop(ular).]
    Their music is trivial. It has no meaning, no emotion. It is plastic. Most rap, modern "R&B" (fart soul), poprockpunk and (new)metal artists (in the charts) qualify for this. They don't interest me in the slightest.

Then there is music that fills me with revulsion. Music that is so banal, so cheap or so "evil" that I cannot stand them. Examples are:

-Iron Maiden and similar castrate-metal bands: Their music is devoid of development and soul. And the voices are awful.

-Nirvana: The "evil" variant. Cobain did not want to share his problems, his anger with the world. He wanted the world to share these feelings. Is music is not freeing, it is entirely self-absorbed and absorbing others, so that they will eventually be angry if they listen to it. I hate being angry. I hate being hateful. Cobain makes me feel this way. I pity him for his ordeal in life, but I am not sorry that he is dead so that he cannot haunt me anymore everytime I turn the radio on.

And then there is the tiny category of interpreters I cannot listen to because their voices are terrible. Billy Corgan or Celine Dion, for example.

Okay, rant over. :)

12. Harbourboy

Huh? You say that and then proceed to list even more things that you can't stand!

13. Disciple of The Watch

C'mon people, argue, bitch, that's the point of the topic!!!

Pretty much like Undertaker, I like most of the kinds of metal (Death, black, thrash, speed, doom, grindcore).

And what's to say about rap, hip-hop and R&B, random bull****, as my ex would call it. it just gets on my nerves. And so does the candy pop divas. And so does country. So does western. I give the feeling of hating everything? Heh. Remnants of my F.T.W punk era. Speaking of punk, I still kept my pile of old punk records and frequently listen to them, when I don't feel like listening to metal. I also got a few hardcore albums. I even listen to Plume Latraverse, an artist that probably no one outside Quebec ever heard about (Ofelix, you do know about Plume, do you?) I have a few of his vintage vinyls and listen to them sometimes.

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

There is a difference.

Some people say "I don't listen to rap!" or "I hate techno!". They refuse to listen to music of a certain genre. This means they have no intention to broaden their knowledge about music. They refuse to discover something new. I cannot understand that, in all things, because it is the source of prejudice.

I only have three categories: Good, Horrible, and Completely Uninteresting. I don't care about genres.

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Lets see here....music I hate?
    • Any type of country/bluegrass music
    • Any kind of pop (i.e. Britney Spears)
    • Any kind of pop 'rock' (i.e. Maroon 5 - I hate those idiots!)
    • Any kind of Rap, Hip Hop, or R&B
    • This new generation of 'punk' bands that sound like pre-pubescent teenagers screaming into a microphone (The Used, Dashboard Confessionals, 30 Sec. To Mars, ect.)
    • And certain types of techno.
    Wow, That a long list...does that mean I don't listen to much music? Hell no! I just listen to *good* music, which there is an abundance of! :rolling:

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Also called 'Emo'. Because they are so emotional that they have to scream. That's the only new thing about it.
    Sometimes I think the only "emotion" they feel is pain.

There is a band called 'Killswitch Engage'. Their music is a mix out of emo, metal and hardrock. They are very good.

I actually happen to like bluegrass. It's relaxing. And Maroon 5 are not that bad. I really was surprised of their album. It is very intense and full of hits. I cannot listen it through, though.

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You do realize *true* punks have no albums/CDs/tapes. ;)

18. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Good music, and bad music, are the only two kind of music i know...
    Anyway sucky music is easily turned off :shake:

19. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Just the ones everyone knows. Most good metal are signed. For example: Who knows Chimaira, Darkest Hour, Unearth, Throwdown, Terror, Bleeding Through, All That Remains? Not too many people know them...

"Music" I hate:
    Rap (sex, drugs, clubbin', sex, money, sex, money)
    Hip-hop (see above, but in the case of female "artists," its just bad analogies and cliches about the 'perfect' man leaving her. SHUT UP!)
    Pop-rock: Ashlee Simpson. Enough Said.
    Punk-rock: Greenday. More than enough said. In fact, they don't even deserve for me to waste my time typing their name.
    Emo: Dashboard Confessional. *pukes*
    Nu-metal: BLASPHEMY!

The rest are fine, although metalcore has begun a rapid descent into crap.

The true ways to go:
    Hardcore
    Metal
    Death Metal
    Trash

And the occasional non-metal band here and there.

20. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Come to Europe Saber, and you will be :eek: at what non-metal fan call hardcore :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.