1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Strange Case of Katharine Gun

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Gonzago, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I came across this in the Herald Tribune today...and Bob Herbert's column at the Times (I didn't put in the Times link, as I'm not registered with them) is, as far as I know, the first mention of it in the American press:

http://www.counterpunch.org/solomon12152003.html

This administration is acting unconscionably. We spy on diplomats, friend and foe alike, keep people locked in a legal black hole in Guantanamo bay (while ironically decrying the lack of human rights by the government on the same island), slap a massive investigation on O'Niel for possible illegal leaks while letting the investigation into the Valerie Plame leak die on the vine.

I grew up in Texas, and I used to be a Republican. But I'm just sick of this.

(Edit: Got my treasury secs mixed up...thanks Ragusa)

[ January 20, 2004, 18:35: Message edited by: Gonzago ]

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    What you see is a bunch of detemined and unscrupulous people at work, who don't worry about friend of foe on their way to achieve their political goal.

People like O'Neill and much more so Gun (who has much more to fear) are a blessing, and sadly, with people like the Bush crew around, a necessity, because they would otherwise cover their actions with secrecy: National Security ;) But a democracy demands accountability, and that demands a degree of openness. America today, discussing O'Neill, and Britain, talking about Gun, lead the discussions they should have led before the war.

Not so with the likes of Cheney who still refuses to hand the GAO information on the Energy Commission they rightfully demand - instead handing them pizza receipts as a sign of contempt.

If you take offence on that, look what they do to their friends and allies (which is unwise and wasteful, considering how many they've left).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.