1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Story of The Stave: Chapter one

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Ancalìmon, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

And here we are! after five months, the story goes on! I will start with a short text explaining wat happened before so others can join in too; but I strongly recommend people not familiar with this to do a search 'The story of the stave part one' and read the complete story so far.

Illith'Hen the elf and Glamrod the dwarf found a mysterious stave, and since that moment their lives took a radical twist. They have been chased by Ulder'Gein: rotting creatures with a hound's body and a goat's skull. Their party has grown to six members: Illith'Hen, Glamrod, Kibrani; a young girl in search for her sister, Callain; a thief, later unmasked as a murderer and now a vampyre; and Melfdale, elven archer. Their search for the mystery of the Stave has led them to the dark forest of Berwin, were they have confronted Ulder'Gein, Treefolk and shadowy demons. They have descended deep into the earth and are now travelling trough a seeminly endless hallway.

The first part ended with the party fighting the shadow demon and Callain turning into a vampyre. Now we will go on! Everyone is free to add their part to the story, and if it is good we will continue with it.

Here we go:
    =================================================

It had been at least 4 days since they descended into the depths of the earth, and endless darkness and rationing of food was beginning to demand it's toll. Callain had remained remarkably silent since he was forced to rejoin the party, he did not even ask for food. Of course, nobody even bothered to give him food becouse of his attempt to steal the stave. They would soon have to find an exit, food or at least oil for their lamp to ensure their further survival.

“Me stomach is beggin’ me for food!” groaned Glamrod. “Glamrod, you know we have to ration the food, we don’t have much left” replied Illith’Hen. Glamrod said no more and walked on, occasionally grumbling.

Then, a faint glow could be seen in the darkness ahead of them. “What’s that?” said Kibrani Melfdale’s sharp elven eyes could see what was there: “It’s some kind of altar, and there is a young an naked women lying on it…” “Well, that’s something you don’t see everyday!” said Glamrod with a slight grin on his face. “Glamrod, ALL of this is something you don’t see everyday!”

They went closer and observed the strange altar and women. “How come it glows like that?” said Glamrod. “It’s finely crafted out of the same material as the pillars in this archway, only it is white, not black. I have never seen anything like this before” said Melfdale. “How about we try and wake her up? Maybe she can guide us out of here?” “Or give us food” said Glamrod. They all ignored him. Melfdale gently pushed the women. She didn’t budge. He pushed her again, harder this time. Still no response. “Well, now I know this sounds weird, but how about we push her with the Stave? I have this feeling…” said Illith’Hen. He touched her with the Stave. Slowly, the women opened her eyes.

Her voice was crystal clear, almost whispering. “At last. After thousands of years, the bearers of the stave have come to me”

They were all stunned, not able to reply.

“Who saw the Stave first?” Illith’Hen stepped forward. “Does thee know thy purpose?” “…no” He hesitated. “I shall tell thee”

“All thou hast to know for now, is that this stave is a piece of The Tree of Fate. Thou must bring the Stave to the five Great Altars in the Five Great Woods: Berwin, Shill’th, Draten, Droangur and finally Tree of Fate itself in the woods of Ykl. Hand me the Stave.” Illith’Hen gave her the Stave. “The Stave now has the power of Earth: It will enlight thy path wherever thy will go, and the Earth will obey the command of The Bearer, you, Illith’Hen.” “How do you know my name!?” , Illith’Hen replied without breathing. “Go now, Bearer. The Stave will show thou the way.” The women closed her eyes again.

“Well, now THAT is something you don’t see everyday!” said Glamrod after a long silence.
    They were all stunned.

Suddenly, they heard a roar, followed by heavy footsteps closing in rapidly...

[ June 09, 2003, 17:08: Message edited by: Ancalìmon The Wise ]

2. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

OoC: Thank you Ancalimon! I thought this had died. I thank god (and you) that it has been revived)

IC: Callain tore his eyes from the woman on the altar. Her flesh was silken smooth. His mind had turned to tasting that flesh, rending it to taste the blood beneath, and it galled him. “Ulder’Gein?” whispered Melfdale.

“No” said Callain, his eyes wandering back to the woman, “It sounds larger.” Swiftly Ilith’hen rammed the stave into his pack and notched an arrow to his bow. The others followed suit, drawing knives, short swords and axes alike.

Darting from the group Callain scuttled up the black pillars, his eyes tainted red shining demon like in the darkness. For a moment the group stood stock still, and then all reacted at once. Kibrani ducked behind a pillar twirling her knife in anticipation. The lithe figure of Melfdale merged with the shadows, comforted in its dark blanket, despite its futileness. Glamrod merely stood legs braced awaiting the creature that lay ahead, as Ilithen’hen ducked behind the altar.

The startling roar echoed throughout the hall once again, closer and more blood curdling than before. Callain and the elves were the first to see it, their sharp eyes piercing the darkness. It was tall, taller than twelve feet with eyes slitted like that of a cat, with dark skin pulling taught over a pitted skull. Goat’s horns stuck out abruptly at the temples. But it was the cavernous mouth that controlled its face. Two rows a of dagger inch long teeth set upon a ridge of bone, like two combs, interlocking between their teeth. The body was armoured in black bone, emphasising its huge frame. The rank of decay hung over the creature like a cloak, and all knew that this was a champion amongst Ulder’Gein.

Seeing Glamrod, it roared again, and the sound of feet hammering along the stone passages echoed in the parties ears. More than one hundred Ulder’Gein emerged from the recesses of the dark underground lair.

All was silent for one deadly moment as all eyes fixed on the Ulder’Gein lord. Another roar uttered, but this time it was not from the Ulder’Gein. Callain leapt from his pillar, his swords held like daggers, directed at the Ulder’Gein champions hulking form. It took a moment to register it, but the party heard the human words behind the vampires scream.

Run….

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The greater Ulder'Gein advanced toward the group. Two cloven hooves struck the ground neatly.

Clip.

Clop.

Clip.

Clop.

The group ran for it. It was futile. Scores more of the hideous, foul beasts greeted them. The group - dwarf, vampire, girl, and the two elves were surrounded, admist a sea of Ulder'Gein.

The greater demon turned toward the group. He laughed, a deep, booming, hideous roar.

He faced Melfdale.

"Excellent work, elf. We have them now."

4. The Kilted Crusader

"Mefdale..." gasped Ilith’hen. Immediately Melfdale’s bow swept up.

“The stave” he said “hand it over.” When Ilith’hen made no move for the stave, he screamed, “Now!” In that moment Glamrod’s axe swept down, severing the bow and string. Kibrani spun and hammered her knife into the elf’s back. All of the group were angered and ashamed at the elf’s treachery; the second that had befallen the party.

“A means to an end,” said the greater Ulder’Gein. With a sweep of his arm, his forces moved slowly in. Instinctively, the party formed a defensive circle, awaiting the decaying horde. Suddenly, Ilith’hen dropped to his knees, clutching at the pounding pain at his temples. Glamrod gripped his friend by the armpits to haul him up, but he collapsed in his arms.

There was no time to move him as the Ulder’Gein charged with a ferocious roar. Glamrod unceremoniously hurled the elf to the centre of the circle and swung his axe in a vicious arc, cut flesh and bone. Callain roared and slashed with his short swords, his movements almost as dance. Kibrani, a dagger in each hand, cut neatly at muscles and tendons, disabling more than killing.

Despite the courage, the party was overwhelmed within moments. Hands groped at the adventurers, talons threatening to tear them apart. With a burst of light, the Ulder’Gein fell back, dropping their victims, and cowering behind each other.

Ilith’hen rose above the heads of all. But it was not Ililth’hen, his eyes blazed with righteous light, and his cloak and clothes swirled as if made from mist. He had grown in height and build. In his hands he held the stave, high above his head. Light crackled, jagged and raw, tearing into the closest Ulder’Gein, threatening the others to break and run. Only the champion had not lost its courage. With another great roar it charged Ilith’hen.

Ilith’hen turned slowly, gazing at the charging creature. The stave bent, becoming a great bow, a golden arrow notched to the string. Swiftly he slipped into a stance, and as smooth as water, drew back the string. The bow bent, and Ilith’hen released, the arrow thundering across the cavernous hall. It took the Greater Ulder’Gein full in chest, sending him twenty feet back, his roar suddenly cut off. It was all that it took. The Ulder’gein turned tail and ran, sprinting through the hallways and holes from whence they came.

Once again the hall was empty, and as suddenly as the light arrived, it blew out. Ilith’hen dropped to the ground like a rock, his body hitting hard. The stave rolled from his fingers. Glamrod crouched down next to his old friend, feeling his pulse. It was steady and strong. Swiftly, he pushed his hands under and pushed lifted him.

Callain scooped up the stave. It burned in his hand, and he almost dropped it to the pain, but he carried it over to Ilith’hen, ad tucked it into his belt. “We had best leave.” He growled.

5. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Morningstar, it was my pleasure to revive this story! I knew you had been waiting for it!

“Indeed we should, I don’t think those beast will stay away permanently.” Replied Glamrod. Then they noticed Kibrani was knelt down next to Melfdale’s body, whispering to him: “Why? Why did you betray us?” Melfdale was still alive, but Kibrani’s knife had made a lethal wound, he would not live much longer. Melfdale was trembling, and he slowly opened his mouth to say something. He tried to get back up, but that resulted in blood spouting out of his mouth and back like a fountain. He fell dead in Kibrani’s arms without a single cry.

Kibrani got up and said slowly: “Let’s get the hell out of here” They nodded in response, and soon they were again trying to find a way out of the hallway. Out of oil for the lamp, they could only rely on the Stave’s light.

“The women on the altar said the Stave would guide us out, but I don’t see how” Then, as in response, the Stave radiated a light so bright and powerful, it illuminated the entire hall. They saw the hallway stretching out before them, with no sign of an exit. Kibrani fell to her knees. “We will never get out of here…”

“Wait” said Illith’Hen. “I smell fresh air! Over here!” Illith’Hen ran towards the side of the archway and pointed at a small crack in the wall. “Fresh air is coming out of this crack, we’ll have to widen it” He looked at Glamrod. He was smiling. Glamrod spitted in his hands, stretched his arms, grabbed his axe and started hitting the wall. After a few hits, the wall started to crumble. The others helped too and soon they could pass through. They were now standing in a large tunnel. The tunnel made a turn about a hundred feet further, and they could sense fresh air coming from there. “Ahaah!! Lets go me friends!” They ran through the tunnel, took the corner, and came in a large cave. “Strange, I don’t see any exits..” Illith’Hen looked up and saw a large hole in the roof, and the clouded sky above it. “Well, that’s great, how will…” He didn’t finish his sentence.

Before him, A dragon’s head was staring at him.

“By the Gods…”

The creature slowly came out of his lair, revealing a huge body with thick, brown scales. Huge wings were folded against his body, and his tail had a large ball on the end. The head was probably the most terrifying. Row after row of terribly sharp teeth in a mouth filled with the rotting flesh of the beast’s former victims, pale grey eyes, and two enormous horns. The beast’s heavy breathing was accompanied by greenish drool dripping out of his mouth. Then, it unleashed the most terrifying roar Illith’Hen had ever heard, it made the ground shake under their feet.

Even before they could make a decision whether or not to run from this creature, they heard the familiar sound of hooves hitting the ground. “Ulder’Gein! They are back!”

The first Ulder’Gein headed straight for the party, unfortunately not noticing the dragon to his side. The monster jumped at Kibrani, but in the middle of it’s flight, it was torn from the air by the Dragon’s monstrous teeth. It’s loud screaming and useless attempts to escape death’s embrace ended when the dragon bit off his head with a sick ‘crack’…

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Kibrani rolled to the side and dodged behind a rock, trying to avoid being spattered by the blood and saliva that dripped from the dragon's mouth. When it flung the Ulder'Gein's body aside, the great head slowly panned around the cavern, the nostrils flaring rhythmically. When it spoke, its voice was full of gravel and thunder.

"So what's on the menu tonight? Hmmm, I smell a veritable smorgasbord! There's an elf, a dwarf, something foul" - Callain bristled with this affront to his vampyric vanity - "and something... familiar!" Its tail snapped out unexpectedly and the boulder in front of Kibrani was smashed aside. "I thought I dispatched with you a few days ago, my sweet, but the memory fades after so many centuries. No, wait, you're not the same morsel... a relative perhaps? Come to rescue the maiden fair?" The cavern shook with what the group had to assume was draconic laughter. "I'm sorry to tell you this my dear, but she's no longer here." The dragon laughed again. "No, wait, I'm not really sorry to say that. She was delicious."

Kibrani stood up and brushed the dust from her clothes. Swallowing her fury, disappointment, and a few tears, she managed to keep all but the smallest tremor from her voice. "I'm sure Joyani made you a tasty meal. She was the sweetest member of my family, after all,” she said, edging around the cavern towards the others. The dragon’s head followed her path, but several heartbeats behind, confirming her guess that it was almost blind and relied on its sense of smell. A few hand gestures relayed this fact to the others. Reaching the Ulder’Gein’s fallen head, Kibrani applied a vicious kick that sent it arcing across the dragon’s snout. It responded with a gout of flame and a crash of its tail against the far cavern wall, allowing the others to scramble into combat positions and ready their weapons. “Are you ready for dessert?” she screamed, launching herself forward, her longest knife drawn. It found its mark in the dragon’s left eye.

The beast’s head reared as it screamed its agony and rage. Kibrani managed to grab one of the horns and hang on as it tried to smash her against the roof of the cavern. Glamrod and Callain sprang forward, seeking chinks in the dragon’s scaly armor. Illith’Hen fired volley after volley of arrows.

One of Callain’s blades slid forward between the dragon’s scaly plates and nicked the leathery wing. As the dragon’s dark blood flowed over his hand, he gave into the overwhelming urge and licked it away. His vision swam as immense desire flowed through him. Nothing mattered except getting more of that rich, powerful blood. He ripped at the wound he had made with his bare hands, widening the hole and causing the blood to flow faster, faster. He put his mouth to the wound and began to drink, then to suck as the fresh blood didn’t well up fast enough. His teeth tore chunks of the dragon’s flesh away as he dove into the dark, hot source of that briny nectar. He was drowning in the stuff but didn’t care. His entire being was focused on the rhythmic pulse of the dragon’s great heart. It called him and kept him going, driving him onwards despite the way the dragon thrashed and clawed. Deeper, deeper, deeper… at last he tore open the great artery. Callain screamed in ecstasy as the hot blood spurted over him. He could feel its power in every cell. Sucking one last deep draught, he fell away, unconscious, as the dragon fell, dead.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Illith'Hen paused, and said, rather clumsily, "Callain's dead."

Kibrani spoke up.

"He... might be. But I don't really care. I was never uncomfortable with a vampire walking around with us. Good riddance, I say."

Illith'Hen blinked.

"I thought that vampires liked blood."

"Yeah, supposedly. Maybe only human blood. Maybe dragon blood is, well, repulsive to their kind.

"God, there's so much blood here. Let's leave this place. I don't want to see any more blood."

Glamrod stopped staring at the dead dragon, and spoke.

"I've heard of a thing called the Slayer of the Dead. It's poison, and it doesn't hurt anyone, or anything - except for, well, people like him," pointing to the unconscious Callain.

"Dragon blood is a vital component in it."

Illith'Hen paused, and spoke up again.

"Well, I suppose he has been us with a while. Even if he is an undead, he's our fr - ah, companion. If we can find someone to restore him, I think that would be useful. At the same time, if we looked into more things, we could find something out about the stave.

8. The Kilted Crusader

“Are you sure?” asked Glamrod. Ilith’hen nodded.

“He has no pulse.” He said simply.

“He’s a Vampyre. They are undead. They have no pulse,” stated Kibrani, poking Callain with her foot. A low growl emanated from Callain, the dragon blood spurting from his mouth. He was not dead, but he was dying. The three companions knelt by the dying man, unsure how to handle the situation.

Suddenly an idea entered Ilith’hen’s mind. He drew the stave and held it before him, wondering at his powers. Could he use them on Callain, did he want to use them on the dying Vampyre. Callain had pledged himself to group after the battle with the lightening demon, and he had shown nothing but loyalty since then. He placed the stave to his chest and it began to glow.

Slowly, the talons that were once his nails returned to their original form, the extended canines within his mouth began to recede, and finally the unhealthy blue tinge of his skin returned to its former pale countenance.

A man again, Callain coughed and rolled, spitting blood from his mouth. He rose to sit, breathing deeply. The group stood back, astonished. Callain gazed down at himself in disgust. His clothes were covered in dark blood, and when he raised his hair to his hands, he found it drenched. Swiftly he drew a dagger and hacked at it, taking large chunks, then gliding it over his scalp, leaving short stubble. He looked up at Ilith’hen, and then lifted his hand to grip the elf’s wrist. “Thank you my friend. I had no idea, what I became back there. A mere essence of myself was all that remained. But I swear the taint of the Vampyre has left my blood, and, in doing so washed away my former evil. There was within me a flicker of good, but since joining you that flicker has become a flame, that has cleansed my soul. I am a changed man. Thank you my friends.” He lifted himself to his feet, gazed at by the party...

OoC: Damn, you must have edited your post while I wrote this Oaz.

[ June 10, 2003, 22:18: Message edited by: Morningstar ]

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Kibrani was poking about the heap of bones and old clothing at the back of the cave. Contrary to legend, this dragon hadn't been sitting on a pile of treasure, just a lot of junk. Her throat caught briefly when she recognized her sister's cloak, then she pocketed the clasp and turned back to Illith'Hen and Glamrod.

"Well, I no longer have any ties to this town, and I think I've worn my welcome a bit thin, anyway. If you'll have me, I'd like to join you." The others nodded quickly, and she continued. "Remember that Callain was an assassin before he changed. Whoever was paying him to follow you - or the stave, as may well be - probably still wants it. Reviving him is likely our only chance to follow that path, and I'd rather a vampyre at my side than a blade in my back."

OOC - Ditto your comment to Oaz, Ancalimon! ;)

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31

(Yeah. Insert foot in mouth. I suck. Foot, that is.)

(By the way, Callain fell unconscious right after his little monologue, which is how Rallymama's post is justfied. Apparently the Stave can only counter the effects of dragon blood temporarily, but it can at least cure Vampirism.)

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    (nicely regrouped, Oaz. I'm looking forward to meeting your character soon!

BTW, Kibrani is a little too old to be called a "girl" all the time. She's my alter-ego, after all... :roll: )

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31

(I need to have my own character? Can't I have fun killing off everyone else's? :( :D ;) :p )

(Sorry, Rally. I'll make sure to note that she is a full, grown-up, roaring woman. :spin: :D )

13. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

I can't post very often in this story becouse i'm in the middle of my exams. I see you guys made a great addition to the story! And I welcome Oaz in out little 'story of the stave club'! I'll continue:

Having defeated the dragon and revived Callain, there was nothing more to do in the cave, except find a way out. They were all very tired and hungry, so they decided to camp here for a while and think of a solution to escape later. While Illith'Hen scanned the corpses of the Ulder'Gein and the dragon to reclaim some arrows, the others made a hole in the dragon's torso, using it as shelter. The beast's remaining body warmth would keep them warm for the night. Being out of food, Glamrod decided to have dragon for dinner. While not liking the idea of eating dragon, it was the hunger that gave them no choice. Night began to fall, and they made a camp fire from the wood and other junk scattered across the cave. The dragon flesh tasted like boar meat, with a very spicy hint. Everyone but Glamrod disliked it, judging from the way he ate it. After the meal they went to sleep, with Glamrod being on first guard duty. Illith'Hen stared to the sky above him for a few minutes, and then he fell asleep.

Illith'Hen opened his eyes. Kibrani and Glamrod were standing about ten feet from him, dicussing something. He looked over his shoulder and saw Callain, still asleep. He yawned and got up, looking to the cave's roof and the large hole in it. He figured the hole was the dragon's exit, being able to fly.

"Well guys, figured out yet how we will get out?" Illith'Hen spoke.

14. The Kilted Crusader

"We could climb." said Callain, sitting up "Use the dragon as a ladder so to speak. The scales should make good handholds." he looked to the others for acknowledgement.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Kibrani looked over the dragon, then turned to Callain with a glint in her eye. "This doesn't look any more difficult than some of the buildings I've, uh, visited over the years. The problem will be reaching the lip of the opening when we get to the top. Are you well enough to give me a boost?"

Callain nodded and got to his feet, stretching. When he turned back and started to climb, Kibrani was already almost at the top of the great beast's back. She scrambled the last few yards, then reached down to give him a hand.

Standing on Callain's shoulders, Kibrani was just able to reach the rocky opening. The first rock she grabbed came loose in her hands and they both almost tumbled off the dragon's back, but the next provided a secure fingerhold. From the ground, Illith'Hen could see the muscles in her arms and hands bunch as she pulled herself up, then found new holds. Her path wandered across the rock face, but soon she found purchase for her feet and her pace quickened.

Not long after she disappeared from view, a rope came tumbling down the opening, followed by Kibrani's voice. "You're clear to come up. I've secured this end, and there's no signs of anyone being in the area." Illith'Hen and Glamrod joined Callain atop the dragon and they prepared for the ascent, the dwarf muttering unpleasantries under his breath all the while. "Don't worry, Glamrod, the vertical part isn't long. Your feet will be back on solid ground soon enough." Knowing that Kibrani couldn't have heard him was enough to stop his grumbling.

When they all had made the climb and Kibrani packed away her rope, they took measure of where they were. It was a large rocky clearing in the midst of a thin, scrubby woods. Choosing a direction at random, they found a small track that led to a winding path, which led to the edge of the woods and a little-used road. Illith'Hen made sure that their packs and flasks were full of what foodstuffs the meager woods had to offer. Looking both ways down the road, they decided to head...

16. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

They turned left. The right path was just a muddy trail and didn't show signs of recent usage, the left one had cobblestones and was much wider.

They walked all day, only stopping to eat or fetch some fresh water from a nearby river. the second day they reached the forest's end, and a little house with smoke coming out of it's chimney.

They decided to knock on the door and ask the in habitants for information on where they were.

17. The Kilted Crusader

The door creaked open an inch, followed by the head of a rusty spear. Ilith’hen stepped back. “Er… excuse me, sir, but –“ he was cut off suddenly as Callain brushed him aside and knocked the door with his shoulder, sending the spear wielder to the floor with a bloody nose.

“That’s one way to do it,” muttered Glamrod, stepping inside. An old man sat on the floor, trying, in vain, to stop the blood from pouring out of his nose. Kibrani knelt by him,

“Hold it by the bridge” she said, pulling a handkerchief from her pocket and dabbing it to his face. “That wasn’t nice.” Said Kibrani, glowering at Callain. The shaven headed swordsman shrugged and sat down in a seat. Ilith’hen turned to the old man,

“What were you doing with the spear?” he asked, not unkindly. The old man cast a benevolent glance at Callain before answering.

“Creatures afoot” he said simply. “Tall, with faces like goats. Ugly bastards” he added

“Ulder’Gein,” muttered Glamrod.

“Well friend,” said Ilith’hen, “We mean you no harm.” The old man snorted, a fresh batch of blood draining from his nose. Ilith’hen continued, “We mean you no harm, but I’m afraid we’re lost. Might we ask you where we are?”

“And if he’s got any food,” added Glamrod swiftly. The group had not eaten since the death of the dragon.

“Yes, Glamrod. But again, do you know where we are?”

18. Oaz Gems: 29/31

The old man shrugged.

"On the outskirts of the city Tarsk. Or what was left of it."

"Wow," Kibrani excalimed, "that's a mighty lot of Ulder'Gein. Tarsk was famous, or perhaps infamous for its phalanx and military power."

The aged man blinked.

"'Twasn't those goat demons or whatever they were. 'Twas summtin' else. Whatever it is, the city is nothing but ashes. Funny, isn't it? I bought this spear from a blacksmith two days ago, when the city was still busy and bustling."

In silence, the group looked among each other, and without a word, but with a few nods, decided that investigating the supposedly burnt city was a certain priority.

Illith'Hen confronted the old man.

"You're coming with us. I take it you know this place Tarsk well."

He produced a knife.

"Try anything funny, like a certain elf did, and I'll run you in."

The old man's eyes glinted a deep red, and suddenly his skin grew hot, hot as burning coal. The elf drew his hand back.

"You don't try anything funny either, young elf. Looks like you haven't made the most of the decades you've lived. I'm coming with you, but hopefully you're going to be careful around an old, decrepit man like me."

The air was still.

"You children should know that m'name's Lefkl; my first name isn't of importance to. Take what you can, and let's go. My wife is dead, my children have moved on, and I've really nothing to live for. Might as well see what in the world has been going on."

19. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Tomorrow was going to be along day. The group had decided to sleep in the Lefkl’s house. They each took a bed in what had been Lefkl’s children’s bedroom.

Ilith’hen was leading them towards the first of the Great Altars in one of the Great Woods. Callain didn’t know which one. Right now Callain didn’t care. He was too hot. He pushed the blanket off his bed. It didn’t help. His skin was itching as though insects were crawling all over him. Callain was burning up. He had to get out into the cool night air. He got out of bed.

Glamrod had been sleeping with one eye open. The dwarf raised himself up onto his elbow. Callain walked over to Glamrod’s bed and crouched down.

‘I’m too hot, I need a bit of air, I’ll be back shortly.’ Callain whispered.

Glamrod lay back down and Callain made his way outside. He sat down on the wall of the well outside the house. He felt strange. He had been a vampire; the dragon’s blood had drowned the demon that had possessed him. It would have killed his mortal-self too if the power of the Stave had not torn his body back out off death’s bloody grip. He could hear chickens squabbling in the hen house. The Stave had brought him back but he had come back with an emptiness inside. Food didn’t satisfy his hunger, water didn’t quench his thirst. The chickens were still flapping about, it was probably a fox or a stoat. He went over to investigate.

He opened the hen house, there were a few hens roosting on several shelves, and one running around on the floor. He picked up the large red hen and took it outside. Callain sat down on a bench beside the hen house with the hen between his knees. He soothingly stroked the back off its neck and then cut its head off with his dagger. The hen’s body bucked against the grip of his knees and then went still. He lifted the body above his tilted head and drank the blood that came streaming out of the chickens’ neck. That was better, the itching had gone, the emptiness was filled, for now.

Tommorrow the group would be setting out for the Great Alter, they would be taking the shortest route, through the burnt out ruins of Tarsk. He was relieved at the return of his (now almost unnatural) strength.

He threw the body over nearby hedge and walked back toward the house.

A halfling emerged from the shadows behind the hen house. He watched Callain go back inside Lefkl’s home. Then he went back to stealing his dinner.

***OOC Sorry for hijacking Callain, I needed an ‘in’ for the halfling, he’s hiding in the shadows and tailing the group until they get to Tarsk, unless Glamrod is in ‘Search and Destroy’ mode, your choice. :) ***

**Edits for typos and accomodations**

[ June 12, 2003, 05:38: Message edited by: Bluin ]

20. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Lefkl was standing in Callain's way.

"That was my chicken, you know."

Callain gave an apathetic shrug; he had been fairly apathetic since the dragon.

"What's it to you? I thought you were going to leave this place."

"Just pointing it out, son."

"Don't call me that."

"What should I call you then? Hen-killer? Blood-drinker? Murderer? Vampire?"

"I'm not a vampire. And my name's Callain. Now - out of my way."

"Tch. If you say so. But I sense that you're right - not a vampire. But maybe, hah, well, maybe not a human. Maybe this reputed Stave of yours (yes, that woman Kibrani was relating to me your far-fetched stories about demons and sticks) has its limits. Powerful obviously, but with its limits."

"The hell are the talking about?"

"There're monsters, whom you've killed, no doubt. And there are men, with whom you've been 'friends' with, no doubt. But where do you stand? A man? A monster? In between?"

"How do you know? Why the hell d'you even care?"

"Because. Magic makes us men more of monsters every day. I thank the Lord of Sorcery that my children't en't monsters. As far as I know, that is."

"You're not a vampire."

Lefkl shrugged. He sneezed. A fly flew out from his nose.

"I'm close enough."

(Bluin - Psh. I make Melfdale a traitor, Morningstar kills him off, I knock Callain unconscious... "hijacking" a character is nothing. ;) )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.