1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Stella Awards 2002

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mathetais, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Disclaimers: 1) I'm not sure if this has been posted, so sorry if its a repeat; 2) We've talked about Stella Liebeck in the past ... I think DMC championed her, and I thing she had good reason to sue McDonald's ... nontheless she is now part of our urban mythology and I can't change the name of the award.

It's once again time to review the winners of the annual Stella awards. The Stellas are named after 81 year old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous successful lawsuits in the United States.

Unfortunately the most recent lawsuit implicating McDonald's, the teens who allege that eating at McDonald's has made them fat, was filed after the 2002 award voting was closed. This suit will top the 2003 awards list without question.

5th place (Tied).

Kathleen Robertson of Austin Texas was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving toddler was Ms Robertson's Son.

5th place (Tied).

19 year old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently did not notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal the hubcaps.

5th place (Tied).

Terrence Dickson of Bristol Pennsylvania was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He could not re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for 8 days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The Jury agreed to the tune of $500,000. !

4th place.

Jerry Williams of Little Rock Arkansas was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's Beagle dog. The Beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been a little provoked at the time as Mr. Williams who had climbed over the fence into the yard was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd place.

A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster Pennsylvania $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

2nd place.

Kara Walton of Claymont Delaware sued the owner of a Night Club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out two of her front teeth. This occurred whilst Ms. Walton was trying to sneak out of the window in the Ladies Room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

1st Place.

This year's runaway winner was Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new Winnebago Motor Home. On his trip home from an OU football game, having driven onto the Freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the RV left the Freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he could not actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new Winnebago Motor Home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreation vehicles.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I'm still wondering why the jury is allowed in court :rolleyes:

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

You know, reading this makes me want to sue all of these people - for my undue mental anguish.

That or just buy a gun and go on a road trip.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Please, please, please, do not believe everything you read. These "lawsuits" have been circulating the net for years with little to no substantiation as to any of them. I know that Laches has posted on these as have I. They are bunk!

(Now, the BS suit against McDonalds filed for fat kids did actually happen.)

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    OOPS!

Page about halfway down to find Laches' post...

[Edit - DMC, you must type faster than I...]

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] dmc, I should have added that to the disclaimers, I'm confident most of this is bull ... but still fun to read.

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'd heard all but 3 and 4 before. Still funny though.

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Does this only happen in USA or?
    We in Norway doesn't sue everyone we (don't) know :D

9. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Wow, I knew that the American justice systems was messed up, but thats insane.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It doesn't surprise me that lawyers take such cases. It does surprise me that they win. Such cases as the one with misbehaving toddler... If things had been as they are reported, whoever is responsible for the verdict should burn in hell or have his head examined. That's why I frown on the idea of jury and of democracy.

11. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Your preference for oligarchy over ochlocracy worries me sometimes. :( :confused:

And hasn't it been established that most of this stories are fairy-tales. Lawyers are much scarier then the children eating hag, nowadays.

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Actually democracy is the ruling of the mayority of society, there are far more stupid people than intelligent, therefor we can say that intelligence is irrelevant to democracy.

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Lawyers, no, but I am surprised that the judges allow such cases to go to trial. Even if these instances are merely urban legend, there are plenty of real-life examples of someone wanting recompense for their own stupidity.

14. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

This sounds like Berlusconi's motto! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    :mad: :mad:

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yea, they have special bonus to intimidate check. I'm only a low-level student, so I get a mere +4, but such high-level honchos as Belly, Beren or DMC surely get at least thrice this amount :D

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ Rally - Judges only come into play when a party makes the proper motion. Also, there is no indication in any of those hoaxes that they were even filed and, if so, that they survived the pleading stage (which basically means that the defendant said, "hey judge, the emperor is buck naked" and the judge agreed - as is what happened in the fat kid sues McDonalds case).

@ Chev - sometimes it's +8, sometimes -4, all depends on the day. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.