1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Small Things

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by ejsmith, Feb 25, 2004.

1. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over my lawn.
    My kids see flowers for their Mum and blowing white fluff you can wish on.

When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me, I see a smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look away.
    My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back.

When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune and don't have much rhythm so I sit self-consciously and listen.
    My kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words. If they don't know them, they make up their own.

When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk.
    My kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing.

When I see a muddy puddle I step around it. I see dirty shoes and stained carpets.
    My kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross, and worms to play with.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Lovely - did you write that?

3. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Again, nice work. It makes you think...

4. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Very nice indeed. I recall reading something similar somewhere but don't recall where.

5. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

yes, this is what i have been wondering. Everyone beside me has grown up. They don't watch cartoon anymore, they don't play toys anymore, they don't play pc games anymore, they don't feel happy anymore, they don't run around aimlessly anymore. Once in a while, i asked them to do those 'childish' thingy with me, they don't want. They said they already grown up. But i know they are afraid that their acts might be seen by other grown ups thus harming their membership/status in grown ups circle. They are willing to do so far as sacrificing their happy feeling just to remain inside there. Am i the only 25 years old who go to theater to watch powerpuff movie?

6. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Powerpuff movie?

I, too, regularly do childish things to have fun in an effort to stay child-like. And not just when my two-year-old son is around either, though that's when I have the most fun.

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Hmmm I like childish things I think that is the reason why I have a girlfriend that is much younger...

I'm also one of the older guys in my class butt I think the younger ones speak my language...

I wish I had a change to see the Power Girl movie but it's pretty hart to get in Holland

8. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    That made my day, ejsmith.

Childhood is a blissful time, a time we forget about way too fast once puberty knocks on the door.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I must say I enjoy the feel of wind blowing against my face and I do smile at people and smile back, even though I'm considered way too serious by people. Perhaps it's not directly connected with childhood. Perhaps.

[ February 26, 2004, 22:22: Message edited by: chevalier ]

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, if you're looking for examples of someone not acting their age, you need look no further than me - the oldest (AFAIK) member of SP; I'm guessing I'm around double the age of the average SP member. :D

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How old is that Splunge? There is some guy here who is retired and is about 62. I can't remember his name though.

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll be 44 in 1½ months. And I'd sure like to know who this 62 year-old is. :)

Edit: by total fluke, I just came across a member by the name of rudit - born Dec 30, 1933, which makes him 70. No posts, though.

13. Harbourboy

Wow, I found him. Freestone is the guy who claims to be retired and 62 but likes hanging around on the internet.

14. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@teekc

I feel you man. Just turned of age, but I still watch cartoons, play games, and laugh at words like 'fluffle'.(sorry, but its a funny word)

I feel bad for the old people. Not the over forty crowd like Splunge. I mean the people who are old onthe outside.

Tell you guys what, in 40 years, we will post another here and complain about all those other old people who don't have fun.

15. Calissa Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Good post. :) Really makes you think. I wonder if world would be a lot better place if people didn't lose that childlike way of thinking...

16. Shura Gems: 25/31

I've been ritually sacrificing people since my recognition of Bhaal as my true savior and redeemer 15 years ago and have never lost the delight in doing so.

:evil: :evil:

Therefore, a phrase comes to mind: " Young at heart", folks!

You only lose the joy you find in things if you allow yourself to! ;) ;) :p :p

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Very true. Though it still escapes me at what point I allowed myself to.

18. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] I think its that point in life when you find yourself watching someone, thinking: Grow up! :( Or maybe when saying to yourself: Cannot allow myself to do/feel like this anymore, I am too old. I at least try not to let rationality and adulthood get in the way of fun, simple joy.

A little while ago a few friends and me, we were all around 24/25 at the time, got bored and someone suggested to play hide and seek (you know, someone waits for the others to hide and has to search for them, they in turn have to try to outrun him and reach a tree or something before the searcher, or one of them will be searching next). Typical "game for children". The neutral observer must have thought: Odd fellows. But I tell you, that felt so damn good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.