1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Silmarillion

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Arabwel, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Now, most of you are probably familiar with my rambling concerning J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion, and many of you have read it... now, i would like to know o your thoughts concerning it.

I love The Silmarillion. I like it more than any other works of Tolkien... I prefer it over The Hobbit and LotR. The Sons of Feanor, the Smiths of Eregion, the hidden kingdom, Beren and Luthien... it is amazing. Incredible.

Me, I can recite most of the elven genealogies, know Finwe from Fingolfin, Finarfin, Fingon and Finrond, frown at people who can't thell Aegnor from Angrod or Amras from Amrod... I can recite the names of the Sons of Feanor, and I know that elrond married his grandmother's second cousin.

I am an anal Tolkien snot when it comes to the Silmarillion.

What about you?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

'Tis truly a wonderful book. The stories of Turin and Fingolfin are pulled off bloody brilliantly. It's been a while since I read it though, but IIRC, Tokien didn't actually write down the Oath of Fëanor, which would have been a nice addition (plus an excuse to put in some more Quenya).

3. Arabwel

Media:
    I believe the exact wording was never given, but what IS said is:

And no, for once I did not type it from memory.

Another thing I would love to see in Quenya is the Fall of Gil-Galad, but I am not sure if it has been written, or translated?

*glares at Tal* fter all, SOMEONE dared me to learn it in Quenya....

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Write it up here and I'll see about translating it.

5. Arabwel

Media:
    here goes....

Gil-Galad was an elven King
    Of him the Harpers sadly sing
    The last whose realm was fair and free
    Between the Mountains and the Sea

His sword was long, his lance was keen
    His shining helm afar was seen
    The Countless stars of heaven's field
    Were mirrored in his Silver shield

But long ago he rode away
    Where he dwelleth, none can say
    For into Darkness fell his Star
    In Mordor, where the Shadows are

---

There you go, Aik! *hugs*

Thankies beforeheand!

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Gil-Galad i Eldar Aran
    Utúvienyes i tyalangani (make up our own word for sadly) lirin
    Métima arda vanima ar latina
    Imbë i oroni ar i Rása

There is the first verse as best as I can do. Of course my grasp on the quenyan gramatical system is nom-existant, so trust that to be not how it should be.

7. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The Silmarillion is a fantastic book. I only wish it was about four times longer.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I'm nowhere near that in love with this book. I've read it at least twice and thoroughly enjoyed it, but the absorption doesn't continue once the cover is closed on the final page. Now I love mythology and folklore as much as any of you, and it's always good to have the backstory, but I find LOTR more engrossing every time.

9. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I've just bought the book due to Arabwel's recommendation, but haven't summed up the courage to read it yet so I will let you know what I think when I have
    :)

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Silmarillion is a wonderful book. As great a book as the LotR is, the Silmarillion cannot help but enrich your trip through LotR.

Tolkien's themes of the extremes of mortal existence, both incredible joy and passion, yet also terrible tragedy and suffering, is just so moving.

One of the most fascinating characters for me was Feanor. A genius of the highest order, and an individual of such great power, even Morgoth envied him. He had so much potential, and yet he allowed his pride to doom himself to a fall from grace. In fact, Feanor is a sentimental (roleplaying?) reason that I play an elven fighter/mage in the BG series.

Then there's Beren and Luthien. Such a wonderful and yet sad story.

Then there's Turin. A man who despite his incredible physical prowess, and withdrawn demeanor, had a warm and kind heart when circumstances allowed it. All the awful things he did were provoked by the extreme suffering brought upon him by Morgoth's curse. And then, finally being brought to suicide when everything piled up ... so tragic.

The Silmarillion is a difficult read the first time around, but well worth it with reference to subsequent readings.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Funny this post should come up -- I just cracked the book last night for the first time. Sadly, due to my present social condition, I was unable to focus my mind sufficiently to engage the text, and so I had to put it down. This depresses me, for I used to have a very focusable mind and I would love to be able to enjoy a book that all seem to agree is excellent.
    Someday I'll be ready!

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think I lean towards Rally's position. It was a fun book in general, but a little too biblical (X begot Y, Y begot Z, etc. with 31 names in the same paragraph all having t's, r's, and n's in them) for me ultimately. (And before anyone pounces, I've read it at least a half-dozen times -- I like it, I just find LOTR more gripping for the most part.)

13. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I totally enjoyed the Silmarillion. However I think it is a little bit unfair to compare it with LotR. Both were written by Tolkien, but that´s IMO where the similarity ends.
    Besides the differences in styles and scopes, LotR is book that was written "for the masses" (i.e. it was meant to be published from the beginning), whereas the Silmarillion was a labor of love, never meant to be published, but only to be used as reference. It used to be, again IMHO, Tolkien's "private world". Sure it can get a little rough in some spots, but hey, what do you expect from a book written by a philology professor for himself ? ;)

14. Arabwel

Media:
    *hugs LKD*

Hey Shell, if you ever feel confused, just PM me or something and I'llt ry to sort out whatever difficulties you may have regarding the book....

Although like Kralizek noted, Silmarillion IS TOlkien's own private palyground. I think it is alarming that I find cross-referencing the Silmarillion, LotR, the Hobbit and other works of his fun... *shudder*

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

To paraphrase Christopher Tolkien (or to paraphrase whoever he was quoting): 'The Silmarillion couldn't be anything but hard.' There's no way you can make a 'history' book like that any easier to read for the general population than it was without it losing something.

16. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

tolkien did give the oath of feanor, in feanor's own words, in two spots, both in the lays of beleriand. once in aliterative verse in the unfinished and very brief "flight of the noldoli from valinor" (apt place for it) and a few times in the lay of leithian. If you found the prose of the silmarillion moving and you haven't read the lay of leithian, i highly recommend it. it's the story of beren and luthien (sadly incomplete) in several thousand rhyming couplets and has extensive references to most major events of the first age.

his description of fingolfin's challenge to morgoth is amazing.

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    That reminds me, the names of all start to fade from my head, I need to reread it, fast!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.