1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Sap Feat

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by ArtEChoke, Jun 17, 2004.

1. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

So I was flipping through the NWN manual looking for interesting new ideas to make a henchman and I came across Sap.

according to the manual:

Sap, General Feat:
    Prerequisite: BAB +1, Called Shot
    Required for: Stunning Fist
    Specifics(abridged): you make an attack at -4, successful hit deals normal damage and forces opponent to make a discipline check against your attack roll. A failed check means he's dazed for 12 seconds.

So I'm thinking, "Wow! This is great, its like a poor man's Stunning Blow, only you can use it as many times as you want. How did I ever miss this?"

See the thing is, in a test run with a leveller mod, I've been unable to select Sap as a feat when I had definately fit the prereqs. I *know* its in the game, because in the toolset you can choose it for NPC feats.

Has anyone ever taken this feat? I'd think it would be perfect for rogues.

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I thought that Sap was disabled from the begining due to game balance issues?

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It didn't actually make it into the game, for characters at least. I guess they never took it out of the toolset, but it cannot be selected for a character.

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Ah, it all makes sense now, I thought it did seem better than the feat it was used as a pre-req for.

I'll have to slap that onto the NPC Henchie I was building and see if he uses it.

Sidenote: Given that Sap is a prereq for the non-Monk "Stunning Blow" feat, can a non-Monk get stunning blow at all? I've really been getting into the idea of a fighter specialized in unarmed attacks (I realize its goofy), and I'm trying to push it as far as it can go. I think with the proper feat selection it could be fun.

5. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I believe that any character can take the Stunning Fist feat as long as they have the pre-reqs. Sap is not a requirement since it was (mostly) removed from the game.

You could just take a single level of Monk to gain the unarmed attack feats for free. It would be quicker than taking them singly as a Fighter.

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Well, the idea was a chaotic scrapper type character, drunk and swinging. I'd rather keep him pure fighter.

So... Grapplin' Graham McGum is born! I might start a new thread on this one. At second level, he's doing great, and dishing out much harder than a monk could, hysterical.

7. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

:D

Sounds like a Professional Wrasler!

You might have some trouble in a few levels without having any enhancement or elemental damage to your fists...plus, not being able to use monk gloves.

Are you playing the OC or some other module?

Good Luck :)

8. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Ok, so I gave an NPC (a big half-orc body with a "hak"ed human head and one arm, his name: The Arm!) an assortment of unarmed (and other general feats), including sap, knockdown, power attack, etc... and he didn't use a single one of them in my test combat. :confused:

I may try another test with him actually functioning as a henchman (as that was the reason I was building him for anyway).

As far as Grapplin' Graham goes, he's doing ok so far. I ran him around in the OC a bit, just as a testing ground, and he stomped the guts out of most things straight away. Of course he's set up in sort of bizarro mode. His strength is maxed to the teeth, so his high damage isn't really that good, but he has *no* low damage. With weapon specialization: unarmed strike, he now does something in the realm of 12-14 damage on a hit (at 5th level! Beat that monk!) because power attack is eternally on.

With regard to the lack of monk gloves (which does suck...), I'll eventually just be outfitting him with strength enhancers. Gloves of ogre power stack with belts of giant strength, and both stack with potions of bull's might. He'll just be going for sheer bludgeoning damage. If he runs into monsters with any serious damage resistance, he can switch to a magic weapon - don't forget, fighters can use lots of toys.

The best part is watching a fully armored guy with a *tower shield* punching people, chests, doors, anything. Unlike the monk's unarmed strike, he doesn't kick - ever. He only has two moves, an upper cut and a roundhouse! I already have a dozen great screen shots of him doing this ballerina move on various things around the game.

9. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, there is actually a workaround for the gloves. It's called Use Magic Device. With enough points in that you can wear them. This would normally not be usefull since nobody except a Monk uses unarmed attack, but in your case, it might prove usefull. And use Bard for it, so you can take RDD levels and use the RDD only Monk gloves in HotU.

Now before anyone flames me for this, I know Shifters use unarmed attacks in most of their shifted forms, but unfortunately, bracers and gloves don't get their bonusses added to the shifted form.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.