1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The same old, same old....no thanks

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Gilden, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I loved BG1, and played it many times, straight and modded. I've very recently finished it once more, just to have the first piece of the 'Easter egg' that is spread over 3 games. I'm now about halfway through BG2 (again), with the second item. I have never played TOB, but will when I finish BG2.

Here is what I would, and would not like in BG3.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    I would like little connection to existing (BG1, SOA, TOB)characters and NPCs. The creative muse is best served with a fairly, or even entirely clean slate.
    Take NWN and drop it in a black hole somewhere, along with it's 'level-geared' treasure chests that hang around everywhere, its horrible graphics and feats-n-skills. Do not use anything of it in BG3. :aaa:
    Start BG3 from scratch, ie Level 1.
    Simplify (just a little) the various spell turnings/protections/absorptions and their counterparts that penetrate them. Make the complexity somewhere between BG1 and BG2. I just got too confused with True Sight, Secret Word, Breach, Pierce, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Warding Whip, etc. etc.
    Keep the view style as near as possible the same. The new game is bound to offer better resolution, but the not-quite-above the character view is perfect, I don't want wandering camera views just because it is possible.
    Spend lots and lots and lots and lots (you get the idea) of time on adding polish and variety to the dialogue.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    strive always against linearity. Even if you cannot always give a player a choice, as a minimum give the illusion of choice.
    Have some of the better items (but not the very best) in one of a number of pre-set places. Exactly what goes where, is fixed in place when you first begin the game, and will be completely different next time you play from the start. Have more pre-set places than items, so some will come up empty in any game.
    If a lot of what I like is anti-change, but that is only because Black Isle got so much right first time around, they should be careful to mess with what worked so well (see NWN again).

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, we already know the view won't be the same, and with that change can come several other major changes, as the combat system will probably be geared towards more action.

I agree with most of the points that you are making but I doubt much of that will be implemented. This is BG3 in name only.

3. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I wish the game designers would come and read this before they start... It basically all boils down to one saying. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Game designers seem to have a lot of trouble grasping that fact.

4. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

:yot:
    In my experience, anyone in computing has problem grasping that fact. Yet again our IT support has had a go at changing something which was perfectly reasonable before and yet again knackered the system.

5. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@Gilden - the view you are reffering to is "isometric-view"

6. Silinrun Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

That in my opinion was the best way for the game to work. In that style view. It gave you a large field of battle, and I loved the magic they had in the games. Way better then any of the action hack and slashers. The magic in those kinda sucked...it was way more entertaining to see and to control the spells as you did in BG1-ToB. Anyway, i pretty much repeated what I said in BG3 is dead just in a different way ^_^ and shorter.

7. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I prefer an old school. The character can play as god but from level first. Godly magics and godly allies vs godly oponents... hmmmm, why not for ****'s sake...

8. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

:yot:
    The answer to that "Why not" would be because it would be pointless... Why play as an insanely powerful level 1 character versus insanely powerful level 1 enemies to get insanely powerful level 1 items. The reason we all like godly magics is because they look cool, don't deny it, you know that some of those spells visual effects just kick ass. Make magic missile look like you just cast Vengeful Gaze of God (3ed Epic Level Handbook, something like 305d6 Damage) Make melf's acid arrow look like a group of green cannon balls, I don't care.

If you have very powerful people, very powerful monsters, and very powerful items, they all just cancel to it being very boring. Why be level 20 when everything is level 20 and the items perfectly suit level 20s when you can be level 1, gain levels and new abilities faster, and have a hell of a lot more fun. I always liked the idea of starting BGII as level 1, it would be hard but fun. You'd gain like 6 or 7 levels out of Irenicus's dungeon.

9. Talonius Gems: 1/31

I never enjoyed starting a character and having it immediately bumped up to the minimum level (aka Neverwinter Nights modules). The choices are made automatically; I have no empathy with the character or his history and he means very little to me.

Starting at level 1 - especially in a game that will kill you in a heartbeat at level 1 - makes you understand your character and come to appreciate him. Doing anything else isn't in my list of things I like.

Games that allow you to import characters from previous games work fine. i.e. BG2. I actually went back and replayed BG1/TotSC in order to have a character I could import into BG2/ToB. There was no question in my mind as to whether I would spend the time. It was only if I would play BG1 like I normally do - exploring every nook and cranny for every piece of treasure and creature. :)

10. fatherted Gems: 1/31

Gilden I don't care who you are but when someone says drop NWN in a black hole, I have to congratulate them.

Cheers to you, and to all those who know making BG3 like NWN would destroy it.

11. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If BG3 is made it should resemble it predesors. After all BG3 could not exist or have the following it does today if not for BG1 & 2. I would like a upgraded infinity engine, a game that goes from level 1 to level 20+ in one package that contains numerious main quest, mini-quest galour, etc... Magical items never seen or heard of yet, etc... On top of all of that it would be nice if they would include some NPC from BG1 or BG2. Such as my dad/grandad was Minsc, etc...

12. Thor Gems: 10/31

Actually, it's a prequel, so you would in that case rather be Minsc's dad or granddad. Also i think i heard that you actually will encounter one of his forefathers too.

I agree with Silver Knight though, i'd love for the game to be HUGE, from measly level 1 to level 40, and it should be loaded with realistic quests and miniquests, and please for gods sake, don't make the missions like the ones in NWN... Chapter one, find the four whatever, kill the dude. Chapter two, find the five whatever, kill the dude. Chapter three... You get the idea. And the idea of the most powerful items being at random (major) encounters sounds really nice! Adds to the replay value i think!

Sure BG3 is exciting and all, but i'm having my doubts about it...

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

By the way, what's happening to it, anyone knows when it's going to get on the shelves?

14. Eldular Gems: 10/31

I don't think the company working on it is even known yet (whoever Atari hired) much less release date. But if it ends up being anything like NWN quest-wise then I won't even bother buying it, I hated NWN. And personally I think it would ne nice if it had both Turn Based and Real Time game play (allowing you switch form of play in options).

15. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It's been a while, since we heard any news about BG3, if you ask me, it's dead :(

16. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I agree, I have the same thoughts for Fallout 3, but I feel that there is too much money to let NWN 2 go down the pan... we can only hope...

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I liked the complexity. It's good you don't have to bother getting all the material components for spells like in PNP. What you need to know about spells like you enumerated is that True Sight beats any elusion and Breach beats any protective spell that plays any major role and can be beaten. But the charm is in the little things and here's where complexity excells.

The problem with BG3 is that we aren't going to get anything near as epic as BG1 or BG2. If we are going to get anything. If it's going to be yet another Obsidian sequel to a BioWare game, I don't foresee much success. Besides, 3D games lack the feel of isometric games.

Plus, Atari has been gaining a bad reputation for buggy games. I also recall the story about holding out the ToEE patch despite Troika's efforts. I don't wish it ill but I'm becoming a tad bit fed up with it.

18. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Great, all i ever read about this game is only ill news... You guys are making it difficult to have a great game to look forward too... <.<

19. Orichifunk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Consistency is important when creating your character I think. I like the idea to be powerful, to have insanely damaging spells, to have "uber" equipment, all that I like. But if I'd start off with that at first level, it'd be weird.

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Character development should be slow and gradual. If you're going from lvl 1 to 20, the game should be as long as BG I and II combined. There should be a wide variety of magical items of gradually varying power levels so that you can customize your character between levels. Also, while most of it should be kept the same, I would not mind a few changes. Turn-based battle should be considered, but not necessarily included. I also really liked the spell area display from ToEE. Something like that would be nice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.