1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Rich Get Richer

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Really? Lee goes back to the Phillies? WTF?

The starting rotation is Halliday, Lee, Oswaldt. And Cole Hamels isn't chapped liver either. Wow! Best staff since the the Braves trotted out Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz, and Avery.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To me, he made the same decision LeBron made without the idiotic hour long special. He chose a team that he was comfortable with and that would give him the best chance to win multiple rings. The Rangers can't do that and the Yankees are old, so he doesn't necessarily know what's going to happen there (that's kinda weak, as the Yankees have shown that they restock at any cost). Plus, the Yankees rival, the Red Sox, are stacked, so he'd need to go through them each year. In the NL East, the Mets suck, the Nats suck, and the Braves are mostly OK but can't compete at the same level. The Marlins are on a down part of their cycle. So he's got a guaranteed playoff invite every year and he's not THE MAN, just one among four top-tier starters. Makes perfect sense.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I think in goes beyond difficulty in divisions, but more based on the difference in the leagues. AL pitchers switching to the NL always see their numbers improve, because you get 1 batter in the lineup being a pitcher as opposed to a DH. We've seen it over and over again - pitchers (regardless of how good they were in the AL) see their ERA drop by about half a run when they switch to the NL (and vice versa in switching to the AL).

I agree that the Yankees are old, but as you said, they will restock with younger players as the need arises. The knock against the Rangers is obvious - they are on a much tighter budget than the Yankees (if they even have a budget) or the Phillies. By signing with the Rangers, he'd compromise the Rangers' ability to afford other quality players.

As far as the best chance to win multiple championships... I'm not too sure. Granted, as you said, the Phillies have pretty much an automatic spot in the playoffs, and you have to make the playoffs before you can win the WS, but it's not like the Yankees are strangers to the post season either. I think the overall quality of teams are better in the AL, so while I think you increase your chances of MAKING it to the WS with an NL team, I'm not sure you're increasing your chances of WINNING a WS compared an AL team.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ask the Giants that question . . .

There's a lot to be said for an easier path to the WS.

Also, remember that pitching is key in the post-season, and, barring injuries, I don't think anyone has better pitching than Philly.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Heck, I thought that was true (Philly with the best pitching) BEFORE they signed Lee.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I think it was a good choice for Lee - although I would have liked to see him in Arlington, he made a choice for his family and winning (once you get in the hundred million dollar range, what is ten or twenty million here and there?) as opposed to strictly money.

He didn't have a big contract before, correct?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.