1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Railroad

Discussion in 'Playground' started by ejsmith, Jan 26, 2004.

1. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

In years past, I messed around with Railroad Tycoon 2. Now, like any other kind of average boy, I grew up fascinated with machines and electricity and engines and clocks and the vast majority of things either engineered or just plain ole "rigged".

Aside from having Jazz Band flashbacks during the funky harmonica score (skibby doo whop doo whop dop dop dop bibby skop dop do whop dibby dibby dibby bob top doo whop, dig it dig it yeah! dig it, skop dop doo whop), the game is a lesson in Supply and Demand.

Grab this, take it here, drop it off, pick this stuff up, haul it here as fast as you possibly can because it's time sensitive, then grab this, and head back over here. Kind of like the old game ELITE.

Although it's been out for a while now, I just picked up Railroad Tycooon3 early Saturday morning. Mostly because the price was decent, but partially because I wanted to see if the 3d added anything to the game (Panzer General3 wasn't as good as 2). Aside from the OUTSTANDING score not changing a wick, I find the game just as intense as 2. Granted, I liked being able to setup shop between New York and Los Angeles, but I understand the complexity of the game limited that. I'm fairly happy with the measly sectional Contiguous.

The interface is mostly streamlined. I'd ask for a faster scroll option, but since *my* computer studders just the tiniest fraction of a second as full trackball whirl, I'm guessing it's going as fast as it dam well can, if you please. I'd like the marketing cross-referencing to not involve pen-and-paper(that is, actually be a function of an in-game index), but Excel let me print out a template that I'm happy with.

Overall, it's a small step up from RT2, and a giant leap over to the side (with Direct3D). I've seen the bumper sticker that says, "My other car is a Pullman". I laughed at the time, and thought it was a fairly decent call. But right now, I'm considering mounting one, myself.

So, how about it. Any other train geeks out there?

2. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Train geek over here, even wanted to take a job in HZ (croatian railways), but that is a long story...

My personal fav up to now was Transport Tycoon Deluxe, which favored railroads the most (i think you can earn most money on them...)

I didnt like MS Train Simulator, since the game doesnt give the feeling of a train, maybe with force feedback seat :) (few sounds are better than sound of diesel locomotive in start, maybe few cars have better sound, but nothing below 500hp :D )

Thanks for the info, will try to borrow/buy that game!

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

When did the 3rd Railway tycoon get realised, let alone the 2nd?! :eek:
    I use to love the first one, played it for hours and hours non-stop. It nearly even equalled the original civilization at one stage.

*makes a note to see if Railway tycoon 3 is avalible in New Zealand*

4. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

RRT 3 is a really good game, I played it a few times.
    But when you play it too long it's getting boring, but total: it's a good game for your money

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

The one thing they've never really done on any of the RT games is an in-game index.

Everytime I pull up a train, I'd like there to be a little "route tab". And when I click on that, it pulls up a list of stations, and their supply and demand. With numbers. And I'd like to be able to flip from that page (with the station numbers), to the world map page (showing my track and connected stations). This would let me figure out routes, without having to resort to pen and paper.

The way it works right now, you can kind of do that, but only with the top 5 supply and demand. And it's not integrated with the train routing function, so you have to figure out your route and write the WHOLE thing down, then assign it to your train.

So what I've been doing (in the past as well) is making a chart of all the cargo, and making a really crude map of my stations. Then you go through and make a list of profitable trades between *individual* stations. And then use the map to figure out an actual route, and what to haul.

This lets me focus completely on the actual game, and the strategy, rather than having to pause and take rather detailed notes.

That's the only thing missing, but from the entire series. Integrated route cross-referencing.

Still a excellent game, though. It's just that each scenario takes me 10 hours to complete, when it should be taking a very exciting 4-5 hours.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31

I have MS Trainsimulator installed, if you're a traingeek, i guess this is a "must have". Especially since there are so many addons, scenery, trains, whatever. But after cruising down a couple of tracks with a few different trains, i kinda had it with this game. I suppose there aren't enough explosions and bloodshed in this game for me. It was fun while it lasted, but i've seen enough. :D

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I played the first RR Tycoon back in the early 1990's. It was great. RR Tycoon 2 was even better (which really surprised me). I haven't played 3 yet, but thank you for the endorsement. I will be picking it up.

8. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Train Simulator, is a really good game.
    But some times when you get a bit overspeed, you de-rail.
    The total makes it a good game!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.