1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The protagonist, Imoen, and the +1 Int tome

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Rastamage, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Rastamage Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

So I've gotten far enough in my Tutu game now to figure out that there's stat increasing tomes to be had (so far I've gotten a Cha and a Dex). I'm trying to play as cheat free as I can. My main concerns over intelligence are the max spell level and the amount of spells known.

I'd like to have my protagonist get a 19 Int so that she can learn all the mage spells in the game. A sort of side quest with no xp reward, if you will. However, since Imoen only has a 17 Int I'd need to bump her up with the tome to get 9th level spells. I'm presuming there's only one Int tome.

So, if I'm correct, that leaves just one tome to boost Imoen or my protagonist with. Do I have my dilemma correct? Is there only that one way in the whole BG series with which to boost Int?

If so I may just give Imoen an 18 Int after I rescue her from Spellhold to simulate the beginning of her awakening as a child of Bhaal. I'll have to Shadowkeeper her at that point anyway to replicate her spellbook from my current Tutu game.

2. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

There are potentially 3 more ways to boost your INT:

1- Golden Ioun Stone grants +1 bonus to INT while worn.

2- Machine of Lum the Mad in the 4th level of WK can also be used to increase INT.

3- The "Star" card of Deck of Many Things grants +1 bonus to INT to a mage*.

* Even multi-class mages gain INT bonus from the "STAR" card. For example if you are a pure cleric you gain +1 permanent bonus to wisdom, but if you are a cleric/mage, the mage class takes precedence and you gain the INT bonus. Thief/Mage was supposed to be the only exception to this rule. The game's developers intended the "STAR" card to give precedence to thief class and grant DEX bonus to multi-class thieves; but this is bugged in the vanilla game and a thief/mage still gains the INT bonus; the pure thief gains bonus to STR because of the same bug! (IA v6 fixes this bug).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  3. Rastamage Gems: 6/31

So if I give the tome to my PC then Imoen can use the Machine of Lum the Mad to boost her Int to 18? Can she use the machine twice for a "natural" 19 Int?

4. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Yes.

No.

5. Rastamage Gems: 6/31

Thank you and thank you. Guess my PC will be eating that tome as soon as I get it. Do I get the +1 Int ioun stone in BG2 or ToB?

6. Sikret Gems: 13/31

You are welcome.

The Ioun Stone is in TOB.

7. Rastamage Gems: 6/31

Just got the tome and it was yummy to eat.

I guess I'll use the trick of drinking potions of Genius or Mind Focusing for Imoen to pad her spellbook while I'm in SoA. Not that it matters right away since I think I'm 1/2 or less of the way through BG1.

A final thanks for the info on the ioun stone.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I usually stack spells in her inventory until there's quite a few of them, then drink a potion and scribe all of them. If you keep all the INT-enhancing potions, you can do this quite a few times, and by ToB she'll have 19 INT anyway (though by this time you'll probably have all spells in her spellbook anyway)

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Imoen can get 9th level spells with 17 Intelligence.

10. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yep. The spell level limit as per intelligence isn't implemented.

(Mod idea! Mod idea!)

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If you have TuTu, any tomes used on NPCs will be a waste as they will not have the bonuses once you start SoA. Imoen is an excellent mage with 17 INT, she can learn 9th lvl spells and true dweomors. (HLA spells in ToB)

Also, aren't there two INT tomes in BG1, IIRC?

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Nope. One tomb for each stat, other than wisdom which has 3.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yes, ofcourse. It seems I could use a WIS tome myself. :o

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.