1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The price of ... an empire?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Two years ago after 9/11 the US enjoyed broad international support and were in a colaition involving more than hundred countries. And today? Sadly, the picture has changed.

The US, namely it's administration, have become widely unpopular, and the light of the becon of freedom is seen a bit dimmer and sceptical today. Only a coalition of the willing, bribed and coerced supported their invasion of Iraq, and their governments usually even did so against their public opinion.

An overview on articles covering that can be found on CS Monitor.

What are your feelings about it? What are the reasons, in your opinion?

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Here we go again... ;)

Yes well Europe can not really much oppose US as all actions hurt us more than them. So we'll just have to live with it and stay out of their campaigns as well as we can and let them take the terrorism and whatever follows. IMHO US can do whatever they want but they should also be ready to pay the price that will follow and be ready for some more terrorism...

3. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Heh, it's meant to be about what you think about your country's public opinion and if or why it has changed, and what in your opinion might be the reasons. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] That's okay...He's not terribly popular over here, either. It amazes me that he still has a 54% approval rating! No one I know plans to vote for him in the next election.

They must only be polling his friends, relatives, oil magnates and Texans...

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @ Sir Bel

I posted this link in another thread. Look at the maps and find where you live. That should explain why you can't find people that like Bush.

2000 election

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I guess what I'm saying is: I voted for him in the last election...But I'm not doing it again!

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    GS - I love maps like that. They give the impression that there is all this support for Bush. Too bad, empty plains, deserts, mountains, forests and lakes can't vote. Remember, major population centers mean that that is where MOST of the people are. Unless, of course you are one of the judges on the Supreme Court of Fools and able to call the election off just in time for the leader of their party to turn out to be the winner. How ironic.

8. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Here in Greece we have been looking the US activities both open and undercover with a suspicious eye, especially after the dictatorship that was placed upon us with the help of the then US administration. But allthough we do not look favourly the actions of the USA we did accept that the strike against Afghanistan and the first strike against Shaddam were a solution.
    Alas things are getting worse every day both in Afghanistan and Iraq and it seems to us that the US president is like a little boy with a nuke for toy. We are too close to the region that will IMHO start the third world war and we don't like seeing someone starting fires in this region and does not live in here to taste the consequences.

9. Ragusa

Media:
    Minor comment to Mithrantir:
    The greek colonels putsched to power on 21. April 1967 and installed a regime brutally quelling leftists or suspect leftist, imprisoning and torturing and killing. Their dictatorship was toppled in 1974.

In brief, greece received the patented trademark "anti-commie dictator (tm)", just like argentina or chile. The colonels were inspired 'to save their country' by the CIA as in the cold war no evil left regime was acceptable in NATO.

10. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The main complaint I have heard about Bush's foreign policy over here in California, is that he is being too soft.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.