1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Perfect Character

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Duke Eltan, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Lets clash our heads together and figure out what the perfect character would be like. As I said I´d like to get Magic Resistance and Stealth on a Fighter. A backstab multiplier would be great to. But seems like MR and Stealth is powerful enough. Dont want to overdo it cuz it would feel like cheating.

2. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I think you are going about it all wrong. Try to come up with the weakest character possible - not a strong one. The fun is in the challenge. Keep bad stats. Take weak profficiencies/abilities/spells. Try to win with ONLY magic missle... or memorize sanctuary 8 times a day.... or a thief that can't pick locks! a weak fighter, an ugly bard...etc...

and then try to win anyway! ;)

3. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

This could actually be something. If it weren´t for the fact that I´m so darn "roll-horny". I can roll for hours just to get the perfect row for a character. And then realize 5 minutes later that the Kit sucks and then make a new one.

But hey, I´ll make a character with minimum in all stats and see how it goes.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No one is better in the natural magic resistance department than a Monk. He can't backstab, but with his Ki Strike, this isn't a big downside. He also has stealth, and does great in melee.

For the combining of all 3, I would take a Wizard Slayer, and dual him to a thief after a few levels. If you really want to, and I don't know how much you consider this to be cheating, use SK to give a multi-class fighter/thief the Wizard Slayer kit. Not as much magic resistance as a monk, but you'll be able to backstab nicely. Arming him with Celestial Fury will allow a chance to stun with every hit, so this is actually quite a powerful character.

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

The monks do indeed grow powerful. But the boring thing about them is the equipment part. Half of the game experience is getting more and more powerful stuff for your hero. Since you dont use alot of stuff on the monk half of the game is lost. Wizard Slayers dont gain alot of MR, but it might be something dualing it with a theif. I´ll look into it =)
    Thanks for the advice.

6. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I myself had some good times with a berserker dualed to a theif. With celestial fury there wasn't much I couldn't take on. One of my friends did something interesting, but it involved ToB. Along the same lines you are thinking, a wizard slayer dualed to a theif, only in ToB you could get use any item and whip out Carsomyr or something like that.

7. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Best char of what you could make? Prolly Kensai/Mage, dual at lvl 9. Or maybe F/M/T.

F/M/T is best if theres no limit on exp, then he just becomes godly after 10 million exp, which isnt that hard to get solo, and with the mods.

With 2.95 million cap though Kensai/Mage becomes godly with spells (duh).

Best fighter though is prolly Kensai straight up.

No mention of HLAs allowed Sol :p

8. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Kensai/Mage... An old combo, yet not that useful since dualclassing sucks. F/M/T is ok, not very funny though since the exp is splitted on 3.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

There, IMO, is no such thing as a perfect character. Any character will miss out on something, making him/her imperfect (this is the right word isn't it?).
    Eg A Fighter/Theif/Wizard can't turn undead.
    A Kensia/Mage can't use theiving abilities
    etc etc.
    No character is ever perfect.

10. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

I disagree, the perfect character does not have to be able to use everything, nor be able to do everything. The Turn Undead ability for example isn´t really nessesary. You can just kill them instead. Mace of Disruption is a nice weapon against undeads.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Duke Eltan, do you have ToB? If so, I'll move this to the ToB forum. Otherwise I'll have to weed out all ToB content posted here by people who still don't get it that no mention of anything from ToB is allowed in the SoA-only forum.

12. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Yes, I got ToB so move it if you like, no probs with me. Although I´m not very interested of the ToB stuff since I play SoA =)

13. Terror Toilet Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@Tal: I don't think 2 sentences about ToB merit moving the entire thread. At least Sol'Kanar dedicated some of his post to SoA. Ignoring the rest of the thread based on the comments of one poster seems a little drastic to me.

Anyway, back to the topic. As I've said before (in one of my handful of posts), the Monk is very well rounded... A formidable fighter with thief abilities and depending on what alignment you are, some great innate abilities. The fists are considered crushing weapons, which are good against stone/whatever golems, and there's always scimitar-like weapons on the off chance that the fists are no good.

But if you're looking for the perfect character, consider your playing style and factor that into creating a new kit. Make sure it has good AND bad points, or else it'll be boring to play. After all, the whole point of playing is to have fun.

Check the TeamBG site (http://www.teambg.com) for more information. They have a wide range of tools to suit almost any need. They also have a few mods available for download; one of which, The Darkest Day, contains a wide range of kits but it's a hefty download.

Check out the TDD Kits page.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure if there's any point in me posting here if this topic is going to be moved to ToB, but anyway...
    Duke Eltan, you say dual-classing sucks. What do you base that on? I think most people would say that, if anything, dual-classing in SoA is overpowered. The only downside is the wait that you have before you regain the abilities of both classes - a problem if you are soloing, but no big deal if you a part of a group. Depending on what level you dual at, the wait doesn't have to be that long.
    Back on topic, the "perfect character" IMO depends on your playing style and who your companions are, if any. Some people love sorcerers, others like thieves, still others prefer strong fighter types, etc etc etc. If soloing, you'll probably want a more rounded character. The "perfect character" doesn't exist.

15. Terror Toilet Gems: 1/31

"I think most people would say that, if anything, dual-classing in SoA is overpowered."

I agree, but just as you can have the abilities of 2 classs, you can't exploit them both to their full potential. For instance, you can't have a fighter/mage decked out in full plate armour while still casting whatever he/she wants. It's all about balance. Without balance, you might as well resort to Shadowkeeper.

16. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31

Were talking about a char thats best in a fight Im assuming. Which is a Kensai/Mage dualled with exp cap. Please F/M/T cant turn undead, like that matters, the only time I used turn undead in SOA was to turn liches in chapter 6 and a few vamps.

17. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Alot to reply to =)

Terror > TDD has alot of new kits, yes. But as someone said before me most of them sucks. And I wish I could figure out how to make my own, I have the "Kit Creator" and "IEES" but most of the time KC crashes and the other times the kit doesn´t show in game.

Splunge > I´m talking about a solo character. Otherwise it would be "Perfect Party".
    So say you make a Kensai, dual him in the beginning of chapter 2 to mage. He´ll level up fast but in my mind he is far from perfect. And yes, it might depend on how you play. That´s why I asked what you thought the perfect character would be like. Mine would be a Fighter with Stealth and high magic resistance. Cuz that´s how I play.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Duke Eltan, before you post again, please go read the forum descriptions. If you have ToB you MUST post in the ToB forum, even if you are only playing the SoA part of the game. Moving.

19. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31

Since this is in TOB now there is no longer really a discussion, a sorcer will own any singular opponent in the game, provided he is high leve and has one item, the robe of vecna. A fighter with high magic res is good in the game, but vs another player would fall quickly to lower res + abi. So now that this is in TOB i retract all statements of Kensai/Mage superiority and replace them with Sorcerer. However F/M/T still owns without cap. I've used big picture to play through tdd/sos with a solo f/m/t who has abou 12 million exp, so far he is raping everyone in existance with spike traps plus greater whirlwind, huge backstabs, and improved altric + abis.

20. andrew61388 Gems: 1/31

What about a cleric/ranger multi- gets all hla's off both classes, great fighter with the crom and any flail you want, can cast pretty powerful and has great summons, and is a ton of fun to play with. The healing spells and stealth dont hurt either

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.