1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Mysterious Half-Orc

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Trimm, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Who is that masked orc!? I have placed the faces of every other male portrait with a matching NPC. I'm guessing that due to the addition of the half-orc race, a picture was neccessary. I've never seen his portrait anywhere else. That makes him an easy target for an interesting mod I suppose.

2. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That's right. Unless they were planning to make an NPC with the Half-Orc portrait and then scrapped him, the portrait is one for your personal enjoyment only. :)

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Aren't there a few other of those portraits that don't have an NPC?

4. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Not in BG2 there's not. Trimm is right, only the Half-Orc has no allocated NPC. Of course, in BG2, no-one uses the BG1 portraits (except Quayle).

If you do steal an NPC's portrait, they will use the BG1 equivalent, which is pretty cool.

5. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I had my character with the face of Valygar, and he took Khalid's portrait. Alright, I took his wife when his corpse was still hot and someone else took his face, what else?? :grin:

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually - there are a couple of BG1 portraits that belong to no NPC. I can think of three at the moment.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, there was a dwarf, a paladin or some other plate mail clad character, and an elf with some type of feathered head-dress in BGI that didn't correlate to any NPC.

8. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Nobody said anything about BG ONE portraits and BG ONE npcs -- the reference was to BG TWO portraits and BG TWO npcs -- read the previous posts a little more closely. Yes, there are a number of BG1 portraits that are not assigned by default to BG1 npcs, but the original poster's point was that ONLY ONE BG2 portrait is not assigned by default to BG2 npcs. Unless, of course, you're counting the BG2 portraits that came originally with BG1, but I don't think that was his point, either. :D

[ September 27, 2003, 00:45: Message edited by: Buck Naked ]

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was really hoping when I bought BG2 and saw that portrait that I would run across a half-orc barbarian somewhere in the game, but was sadly let down. :(

@ Buck

Try heeding your own advice.

10. Trimm Gems: 2/31

That's funny, I always thought of that half orc as a barbarian too. Or maybe he could have been a kensai, with the whole loincloth thing going on and all...

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] disastrous if he wasn't too skilled with his sword though :eek:

12. Trimm Gems: 2/31

That's gotta be embarassing...."I had just finished sheathing my swords on my hips. A few minutes later, Jahiera let me know in no uncertain terms that I had missed!"

13. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

"Try heeding your own advice."

Except for the half-orc portrait, all of the BG2 portraits -- as in, in BG2 BUT NOT BG1 -- are assigned to an NPC. In BG1, there are a number of portraits which are not assigned to any NPC whatsoever -- unless, of course, you count the "practice party" in Candlekeep, or the generic PCs that come with the game as playable main characters. The only thing that changes any of this -- in either BG1 or BG2 -- is if you have already chosen an NPCs default portait as your main character's.

"Try heeding your own advice."

14. Trimm Gems: 2/31

The Half Orc was the only new race added to BG2. It seems like they would have expanded on that element. Maybe the romances just seemed to absurd.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True, but they could've had another NPC with no romance. I for one always wished there were more variety with the NPC's in BG2. I know the ones there were all pretty drastically different from one another for the most part. But I would've liked to see a good aligned dwarf, a male elf of some class, a monk, and especially a half-orc barbarian. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing ANY half-orcs in the game at all. Anyone else?

@ Buck

My point was that the topic had obviously evolved to discuss the BG1 portraits as well, as most topics here tend to vere off into other ideas. Had you "heeded your own advice" and "read the previous posts a little more closely" as you so rudely put it to Aldeth and others, you would've picked up on that. It's not really off topic - as we ARE discussing the portraits - and even if it was, you don't need to be a such a little twerp about it.

16. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

dont you kill a half-orc outside of the copper corenet at the begining? the guy right next to the halfling...or is that just a really dumb human?

17. Death Rabbit

Media:
    AFAIK, he's just a dumb human. He doesn't have funny colored skin, and the dialogue doesn't hint at him being a half-orc at all. I really can't think of any others. The only other is the Barbarian with the cursed-berserking sword, who's in the top of the inn in Waukeen's Promenade, with the cranky dwarf and his band. But that's the only one I can think of.

18. Trimm Gems: 2/31

Good point. I don't remember seeing a single Half Ogre since BG1. Ogrillons, but that's about it. I would have been interested in the heritage. Was his mother or father the Ogre...what were the circumstances...love, lust, rape,dwarf spirits, etc. His portrait doesn't seem quite that menacing. I think Caramon Majere's(a character in DragonLance novels who is a good hearted oaf)character might even fit the script. Barbarian makes sense due to the fact that he would be shunned by society, although not to his face. That 19 STR is formiddable. Does anyone else find his portrait to look less than evil? Almost noble....alright that's pushing it, but Chaotic Good is not out of the question.

19. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think Gromnir Il-Khan is a Half-Orc too.. At least his portrait looks like one.

I don't think their are a lot of half-orcs around, but couldn't it be that that's because you couldn't tell the difference between them and a human anyway?

20. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

iceingdeath is +3... its the frostbrand

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.