1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Lone Ranger was....

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Much better than expected! I really enjoyed it. They kept a lot of the elements of the original character. My big worry of the film was with Johnny Depp. It seems that ever since he did Jack Sparrow, he has played every role as a caricature of himself (and that's bad). This movie is no different, but being a slightly odd, off-the-wall Tanto actually works. I really liked it.

If you had told me before the movie started that they were going to break out the old William Tell theme song for the penultimate scene, I would have assumed it would have been really hokey - but that worked too.

:thumb:

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I haven't seen it (and will probably wait for DVD), but from what I read it got crushed at the box office and by the critics. They are calling it this year's John Carter.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I saw it and I thought it was ok.

Then again I also thought John Carter was ok as a movie but suffered from being a forgotten/out of date text and not the best marketing.

The latter, thankfully, suffered from only a little Dixie "Lost Cause" theme towards the beginning.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Forgotten? Out of date? John Carter was only so-so because they DIDN'T keep to the "forgotten/out of date" classic novel.

I'll probably see Lone Ranger when it hits DVD or Amazon ... Despicable Me 2 and Monsters University are the highest priority right now....

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I've seen both, and I highly recommend the former, but not the latter. If you liked DM1, then you'll also like DM2. I liked Monsters Inc, but Monsters University did nothing for me. I thought it was pretty bad actually. DM2 is also cool if you see it in 3D, because the glasses they give you are minion glasses.

I should probably add some clarification on the Lone Ranger as well. It isn't an A movie. My son loves cowboys and masked men of all types, be they superheroes, or just hidden identity types like Zorro (he loves the old Zorro movie with Antonio Banderas and Anthony Hopkins). So a masked cowboy was a no-brainer in terms of something we had to see. That said, I had very little hope of seeing something that was even decent. So when you expect bad, and you get something that's at least OK, you feel pretty good walking out. For me, the Lone Ranger benefited from exceedingly low expectations.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I saw it, I liked it, but I thought it was too gory and intense for small kids who were in the theatre. I think it deserves better than the reviewers are crucifying it with, but I'm not delusionally thinking it should be a blockbuster.

I hate the frame story. It worked in The Princess Bride, but not so much as done here.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I didn't think it was exceptionally gory. It got a PG rating for a reason though. Let's put it this way, my son had no problem with Zorro, and this wasn't any more gory than that, and he didn't have any issue with the Lone Ranger either. Was it awesome? No. Was it better than a lot of the reviews coming in give it credit? Yes. Worth at least your time as a rental.

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    You are officially on notice, sir. That movie is not old. If it were, what would that say about us? To clarify, any movie made before Star Wars is old. Anything after is not. Yes, yes, I just made that rule up, but that isn't going to stop me from holding you to it anyway. ;)

Splunge and dmc like this.
  9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That movie (The Mask of Zorro) was 1998. Sorry, not old.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    :lol: but we ARE old. Unless you guys have found the fountain of youth, 15 years was enough for me to end my young adulthood.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mrs Bruno won't watch a B&W movie. That's the definition of "old movie" in our house -- I propose we adopt that same rule here.

Splunge likes this.
  12. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    It's funny how modern tech had affected the concept of 'old' in media, and on kind of an alarming scale. It used to be that kids thought any movie where there were no cell phones was old. Now they think any movie that doesn't have state of the art cell phones is old. In other words, a one year old movie is old. :bad:

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's pretty much my definition too. Well, B&W and without voices. :D

14. T2Bruno

Media:
    That reminds me of a scene from the movie "In and Out" with Kevin Kline. The fashion model girlfriend is whining about being in a small town, the Matt Dillion character leaves her in the way-behind-the-times hotel room after telling her to "Eat something! You look like a twizzle stick!"

She's frustrated and tries to call her agent. She picks up the handset to the phone, is horrified by the cord attached to it, and then pushes the numbers in the dial.

15. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The Lone Ranger was a murderer

[​IMG] This is an oldie... The Lone Ranger shot Tonto because he found out" kemosabie" meant chicken s..t. ha ha ha.......

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.