1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Lone Drow

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by iLLusioN', Jul 23, 2004.

1. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Is it worth buying? I know it's Salvatore so I'll probably like it but up until the 8th book I loved Jordan, don't want something like that to happen again.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I read it. Loved it. I'm awaiting the next.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think it's a step back to better style Salvatore had when he made the Dark Elf Trilogy. But it's still not nearly as good of course.

Anyway, it was worth the few euros I payed for it.

I would describe the book sort of LoTR / Dragonlance stylish in that it doesn't feel as good while reading it. But it feels very nice after you've read the book and the story is in your head.

4. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

In my opinion it's the best Drizzt book so far. Not because of Drizzt, but because of the dwarfs and there battle with the orcs.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Damnit Benan! Plural for Dwarf is not 'Dwarfs' it's 'Dwarves!' Just like Elves... it's not 'elfs'. @#%@#$! :p

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually there is a surprisingly controversial philological debate as to what the actual plural of the word 'dwarf' is.

The grammatical error we should really be pointing out is this shocker:

[ July 24, 2004, 10:25: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

7. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Damnit, Abomination! You missed out a comma before his name.

8. Benan Gems: 20/31

Dammit, you all we don't need grammer police.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That would be 'grammar' police, not 'grammer'. With so many people on these Boards for whom English is not their first language, it is important for us to uphold a consistent standard.

And to stay on topic...........

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

A granny police is certainly needed. No really, it is. SP wouldn't be SP without them (I'd like to say us, but I don't have time to bother with pointing the mistakes out anymore).

To stay on topic though, the third and last part of this new trilogy is something I'm waiting for quite eagerly. I've a feeling it may be quite good.

*** SPOILER***
    Do not look further if you haven't read The Lone Drow yet!

I liked the gnome & sceptrana couple quite a bit. The brutal death which the sceptrana (sorry but been a while since I read it, so with my memory I can hardly remember her name) went through in the hands of Obould, actually raised the immersion bar of the book. Any serious story needs losses (more than this though) to bring out emotions in the reader.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31

*** SPOILER ***

I don't really think you could call her death a real 'loss'. She is a fairly new character and she lacked personality. However on that note, I feel the 'group' needs a mage of some type now (as in one who becomes part of the permanent group i.e. like Regis or Drizzt). You can only have so many swordfights before they get boring. However 'who' the mage should be is beyond me. Maybe one of the Harpells or Robillard (sp? The Sea Sprite's mage).

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Well I liked her actually, not as a person but she fit the story rather well.

But you're right on what you said there. Salvatore has a talent in writing combat scenes, which far excede all the combat scenes in all of the other books I've read. This includes spellcasting. I really liked the scenes with Robillard and Harkle in them.

It would add a lot of spice to the Drizzt stories if he actually made a new one with a mage coming in, one that would lead them away from the usual area everything happens in. Somewhere people hadn't heard of them. With enough new stuff in, perhaps the boredom that's present in the last 5-10 books would disappear as well.

13. Benan Gems: 20/31

Who do you all think will kill Obould? I was talking about it with a guy at work and I think it will be Bruenor.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

You'd think Bruenor but Drizzt will probably kill him and brood about it for another book for denying Bruenor his vengence or some such.

Actually it'll probably be one of the Bouldershoulders or Thibbledorf Pwent (probably my favourite character).

15. Benan Gems: 20/31

Pikel killing the super orc, it'd be a good twist for sure. It could also be Innovindal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.