1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Hulk (Movie, duh!)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Falstaff, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Well, I was surprised when I crawled into SP today and noone had posted about The Hulk yet, so I figured I would start it off.

Anyways, before posting my opinions (and I have quite a few, I am a Hulk fan from "back in the day"), I would like to hear some of yours, so...

shoot!

(And yes, part of my love for my avatar, the Transcendant One, is his resemblance to the great green goliath himself!)

2. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, two topics so twice as much posts! But about the movie: I didn't like the spiderman and the daredevil movie so I don't think this is going to be something spectacular. Too bad because the Hulk is pretty cool.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I always liked the Hulk. I haven't decided yet, whether I'll see it the cinema or not, but it certainly is a movie I want to see. Maybe I'll wait untill it is available on DVD. Is it true that the Hulk is completely animated? In the trailer he looks mighty cool.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I went to see the film on Friday and I was actually quite surprised at how much I liked it. I saw the film with my younger brother (he is 19) a couple of his friends, and my much younger cousin (he is only 8) and they all enjoyed it too.

I was a big fan of the comics back in the late 80s and early 90s but I was quite unimpressed by the computer generated Hulk based upon the trailers and commercials. The funny thing is that looking back at the film I would say that the clips they used probably had the worst CG of the entire film.

They did change a lot (o.k. more like almost all) of the Hulk's history and I imagine that the purists will be whining about that but I didn't mind.

5. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I saw it with some friends and really liked it. When I was little I watched the TV show religiously (along with Dukes of Hazzard sp) but never read the comics so I'm not really a 'purist.'

A lot more symbolism I think in this flick as opposed to other films in the genre. I read an interview where that is what attracted Ang Lee to the film in the first place. I suspect some will think it was a bit slow but I liked that part of it. According to Ang Lee, they (studio execs.) made him cut a fair bit out of the film because it was "too deep" for a summer action flick.

I caught myself grinning just like when I watched the TV show when I was a little kid. Any movie that does that is ok in my book.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I liked most of the Marvel Comic’s movies, but at this point I don't think the Hulk should have been made into a movie. Maybe give animators a few more years to make things look more real...I mean, look what they did to Scooby Doo! But on the other hand, look how real Golem looks in LotR.

Anyone who has seen The Hulk, let me know how the animation was. :rolling:

7. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I saw it on Sunday with my wife. It was pretty good, but as was mentioned the story was changed dramtically. the animation was good, they used a lot of darkness to cover some of the most intense CG scenes.

I liked the cameo of Stan Lee and Lou Ferrigno (sp). :)

Overall, I preferred Spiderman and Daredevil.

8. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

That's interesting that you mention golem because he was mentioned in the interview I read with Ang Lee. I thought the Hulk looked good. Now, the guy writing the article compared the Hulk to golem and noted that they were equally well done. The difference may be that it golem resides in a fantasy setting where people suspend disbelief more easily while the Hulk is in the 'real world.' I agree and think the Hulk was the equal of golem.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Gollum! Gollum! Gollum! NOT golem. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

As good as gollum?
    I have to see it then, although i doubt it could get anywhere near as well as gollum was done.

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've only read the book, and it was absolutely terrible. I don't see how the movie could be any worse, so I might actually go see it...

12. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I've always hated it, but i'll probably go anyway.
    Just to see how much it sucks...

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I watched it and i didnt like it at all.
    I dont know what excatly was wrong with it but if i were to make a list it would be quite long. Perhaps one of the most annoying parts was the ultimate Hollywood style. You could predict all of it about 10 min before it happened. All stereotypical IMO. :(

Waste of money.

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I saw it last night. I really liked it. There were a few slow parts. But overall, I thought Ang Lee did a great job! It seemed more dramatic than I would have expected, plus the plot was more involved...Good stuff!

Jennifer COnnolly looked a little too thin...But she is still a hottie!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.