1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Game Quote Game 2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Ziad, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Woohoo, my first new thread ever :)

Alright, I'm going to cheat a bit. Since I can't remember where the dialog is from, I'll try and figure it out using the tips, and by proceeding by elimination.

The major tip and the "separate posts" thing makes me think I wasn't too far off - it is one of Origin's games, and it's in one of the cinematics. Now, one of us was really close... two Origin games have been mentionned, Strike Commander and Wing Commander. It's not Strike, because if it was then I wouldn't have been close, I would have been right. Therefore, it is a Wing Commander. Rebel Assault has been mentionned, which means it could also have been one of LucasArts' games (X-Wing, TIE Fighter...), but I don't think it is. This dialog fits far more in the WC universe. Besides, speaking of movie adaptations, the LucasArts games were adapted FROM movies, and you said nothing about that.

So, if it is one of the Wing Commander games... Not Armada, and not Academy, I'm certain. Not WC 1 or WC 2, I remember the final briefings pretty well. Not WC 3 or 4, or Privateer 2, since you mentionned early 90s. This really leaves only one, and that's Privateer (or its expansion, which I haven't played anyway).

So, after much gnashing of teeth, and trying to remember just what the final mission was, I'm going to try my luck with Wing Commander: Privateer.

Now, let's see if I'm the new Sherlock Holmes or not :D

EDIT: Woops, I just remembered something... there IS a Wing Commander movie... nothing to do with Privateer, and not much with the other games for that matter, but... does this mean my entire reasoning was wrong? :confused:

2. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm sure it is Privateer.

3. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Darn. I wanted to make the following tips:
    (minor) The company was known for original games.
    (major) The games were really ORIGINal...

But now I don't have the chance.

I've said the dialogue takes part before one of the final missions... The second mission for Taryn Cross, and after that one, you had 4 missions to go (3 if you don't consider Goodin's mission -- fly to Perry -- as a mission), and there are at least 23 missions to fly.

There was a Wing Commander movie, true, but it was loosely based on Confed, not any other faction, and it stressed the war with Kilrathi very strongly -- unlike in Privateer, where the war isn't that accentuated. This was the reason for me saying that there wasn't a movie based on it.

So yes, Ziad. The quote is from Privateer.

I've enjoyed this guessing round immensely. When I win next time, I'm going to post an even more challenging quote. Promise :)

4. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm quite familiar with WC and its movie adaptation, but I was actually guessing the wrong game. Anyone who has seen and remembers Resident Evil: Apocalypse (the movie) knows that they use a nearly-identical quote in the beginning.

Oh well. My bad.

5. Ziad

Media:
    Woohoo! Now that was a challenge. Don't you dare post a more challenging one!

I have to admit, I remember the mission but I still can't remember the dialog. Oh well...

Right, here's mine. Anyone who's played the game will immediately recognize it, I think, so it should be easier than the previous quote :D

"The powerful quad-quark drives rev to life!"

6. toughluck Gems: 8/31

I didn't play the game in question, so I'll be guessing -- Day of the Tentacle?

Ziad, if you don't remember the dialogue, type something like:
    +"will have my rear" +"lucky brass"
    in the google search box. I have only one result, and there are quotes from all over the game.

7. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Wedge009's site? That's where I confirmed it.

Sounds perhaps like a Space Quest game.
    Space Quest 5?

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Maybe one of the Might and Magic games? They all tend to have some space age gizmos at the end.

9. Ziad

Media:
    Sorry about the delay, but my computer consistently refuses to access SP, for some odd reason I still don't understand.

By the way, I'm not taking entire series as answers. In any case, here's a few tips:
    - game released in early 90's
    - this particular phrase appears several times during the game
    - it appears every time you do something that is very tightly linked to the main subject of the game

I'm going to play it toughluck style, so if after a few responses no one has it I'll post in less obscure and more direct hints.

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well I'm going to guess Space Quest 4. I have played it several times but I don't remember this one. It has been a long time since the last time I played it though so I might have forgotten. Perhaps Wilco says it every time he uses those teleporation vehicles?

11. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender?

12. Ziad

Media:
    Morgoroth got it right, it's Space Quest 4. Wilco doesn't say it, but the narrator does, every time you enter a correct code and travel in time.

For those who played the CD version, you might remember that Gary Owens (who speaks the narrator's lines) actually stumbles when he says this sentence :D

Anyway, your turn Morgoroth

13. Morgoroth

Naturally I meant the narrator but for some reason wrote Wilco anyway. :doh:

Well I'm going to go with an easy one. "Oh god.. please don't let me die today! Tomorrow would be so much better!"

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Star Control 3. The Spathi says it.

15. Morgoroth

Well actually it's from Star Control 2, but close enough anyway. Your turn Rastor. :)

16. toughluck Gems: 8/31

Don't make me hijack this thread and post another of my "challenging" quotes ;)

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31

It's in both ;) .

Okay, let's see if anyone can get this one:

"All that is evil in the universe are the Eshvey."

18. Ziad

Media:
    My guess is Protostar

19. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Not Protostar.

20. Ziad

Media:
    Hint time? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.