1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The game just quits!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Mollusken, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I play Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter version 1.41, and suddenly the game just quits! I had bought and sold a lot of stuff, and as I am almost done suddenly all I see is my desktop! Not even a error message! Any of you seen this before? Can it be fixed?

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I have experienced similar situation with bg2 and bg, considering them all to be Infinity Engine games, it might be the same reason. Try to update your graphic card drivers, it worked for me.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I do not think updating drivers is the question here. I'm running the nVidia Detonator XP driver on my GeForce 2, and it is probably the best driver you can find. But if this an Infinity engine bug, I'll just have to learn to save more often ;).

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited September 27, 2001).]

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] Well I use a GeForce2 too, and I only had problems with the game after I started using it. But save early, save often ;) good ol' sierra quote from the time where games were games :p

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 27, 2001).]

5. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Thanks. I did not have problems with this on my old computer either (ATI something 8mb card :))

Edit: Now the game quits with an error message :) (iwdmain.exe has generated an error)

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited September 30, 2001).]

6. Whistlingleaf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey did you ever get a handle on this problem? I'd really like to know!

FWIW...you can try if you haven't:

Uninstall the game. Go into the game's root directory then delete the contents to following three folders: Cache, Temp, and Tempsave. Do not delete the folders themsleves just the contents!

Defragging the hardrive and scandisk does helps many problems, and is highly recommended before reinstalling the game.

Then install -- the Full Versions of whatver game you have... but don't install the IWD 1.06 patch over HoW

Also I have talked to 3 peeps about this and one of them admitted to having a burned copy... not saying you are... just food for thought!

The other 2 didn't AFAIK get it fixed...

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I just found out that playing in 800*600 causes less of those quits than 1024*768 (shocked? :)).

I have however an original DVD version of Icewind Dale, but my Heart of Winter CD is burned. Don't think that should cause any trouble though.

Edit:

Now it is really annoying. Whenever I try to load a game (just by pressing the load game button), the exe file causes an error. Niiiice.

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited October 15, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.