1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Force is Strong on the UK

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Slappy, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] OK we've all heard the rumours abour the Jedi religion being added to the census. Well now it's official.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2757067.stm

How long before Jedi becomes the number 1 faith in the UK?

PS Though if the next film in the saga is as bad as the last, we might find this new religion all but wiped out.

2. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

OMG,jedi religion.Jedis need a hug.
    I like that
    Religion:JEDI
    :D

3. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think I went down as a Jedi on that census - my flat mate filled it in "for" me when I was at work. grr...

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

It just seems a bit too daft for me, cool, but daft.

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] It is not really a religion. It is a way of life.
    It does not threathen any God in my opinion. It just adds on to life.
    Some of the jedi traits;
    • Deepest commitment.
    • Most serious mind.
    • A jedi craves not adventure.
    Are those the words of a religion? hardly.
    We could very well see christian jedis or even a jew jedi. Heh. I like the sound of that. Jew Jedi... :1eye:
    On a bend down note on this;
    Just look at episode five. The Empire strikes back. The scene is when Luke is missingĀ“out in the snow and Han ask for him. No one knows where Luke is, so Han goes out looking for him on Tauntans...
    DECK OFFICER: Your Tauntaun'll freeze before you reach the first
    marker.

HAN: Then I'll see you in hell!

[ February 13, 2003, 19:01: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

This thread needs a leet reply along the lines of "OMG! All your jedi are belong to us!".

If any tree-hugger ever asks you "What's the difference between man and animals?"

The reply is, "*waves hand* I'm not the person you are looking for. You want to find a nice tree-hugger chick and make tree-hugging babies in Cambodia."

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

From the creation of the Westminster Catechism to this. What is happening on that little island?

CS Lewis must be rolling over in his grave. Just think of the books he would have to write:

*The Chronicles of Tantoii (where a Christ-like Wookie helps a few children fight a Sith lord)
    *The Skywalker Letters
    *Surprised by the Force
    *Mere Jedi

To all the Jedi out there, as Nobleman said, "See you in Hell!" ;) :good:

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] When I saw Nobleman's jew jedi...I read it as "Jewdi" I like that better! Hope no one is O-ffended. ;)

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ah, yea of little faith. Quoting Starwars to 'prove' being a Jedi isn't a religion. Of course, it all depends on your definition of religion. :) Many people consider Buddhism to be a religion (I ever saw someone claim Heathenism as a religion) but technically speaking they are really a way of life rather than a religion. It can also be argued that religion is more about dogma than belief in a deity and on that score Jedi is right up there. Getting back to Starwars (and paraphrasing it, as I can't be bothered to look it up)

Scene: a command room on the Deathstar - :tie:

Grand Moff Tarking (GMT): Obiwan Kenobi, here? Are you sure?
    Darth Vader (DV): - Kenobi is here and the force is with him.
    GMT - Surely Kenobi is long dead as are all the Jedi, you are all that now remains of their old 'religion' .
    DV - do not underestimate the power of the force.

etc.

Han also says something along the lines of 'hokey religions are no match for a good blaster at your side' after watching Luke practicing against the target drones.

Sadly though I guess the Jedi religion will die out fairly soon. As has Pythonism, which reminds me of a great 'Not the Nine o'clock news sketch'. It was inspired by the Python film 'The Life of Brian' being banned in Cornish cinemas after several church leaders complained that it slandered Christ and Christianity. So, in retaliation, when the film 'The Life of Christ' (or whatever it was called) was releaseed, the NTNON team held a studio debate about how disgusting it was to true Pythonists to have their lord and master John Cleese parodied by this Jesus Christ bloke (I mean look, even the initials are the same). Still I'd better stop there or this thread will be moved to the serious forum as a debate about freedom of speech versus religious intolerance. :)

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/N/htmlN/notthenine/notthenine.htm - mentions the sketch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.