1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Fantastic Four

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Shalladeth, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

Yet another comic book movie. The trailer looks pretty good though. Anyone else looking forward to this flick?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. It might turn out to be crap, but won't know that until we see it. I hope it is good because The Fantastic Four are pretty cool. The challenge will be to make a movie that is distinctive and not just the same as all the other comic book movies.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Personally I thought the trailer looked absolutely terrible. I hope it turns out to be good - the Fantastic Four was my favourite comic book back when I collected comics, but I expect that I will be very much disappointed.

4. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes, I look forward to this. I liked X-men and Spiderman. I haven't seen The Punisher yet.

5. Newfie Banned

Lynadin: Do yourself a favour and miss the Punisher. It's punishment watching this terrible movie.

It's hard to tell whether F4 will be good or not by the trailer. Good cast though.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Hey, the Punisher wasn't too bad. It was meant to be a purely action movie :p

I haven't seen the F4 trailer yet, this is the first I've ever heard of it. Who's in it?

Personally, I think the F4 sucks. There are only 2 things cool about them. The first is Johnny Storm. And they better make Sue Richards a hottie! ;) She was a hot mama (literally) in the comics :D

7. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

You can see the trailer here.

Here is the cast:
    Ioan Gruffudd - Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic
    Michael Chiklis - Ben Grimm/The Thing
    Jessica Alba - Susan Storm/The Invisible Woman
    Chris Evans - Johnny Storm/The Human Torch
    Julian McMahon - Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom

I believe Jessica Alba fits the bill as a hottie! :D

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Hell yeah! ;) but she's supposed to be the OLDER sister :/ Johnny Storm looks way older than her :o

I've never heard of any of the others aside from her and Julian Mc Mahon though :/

9. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

Michael Chiklis is from the TV show 'The Shield', Chris Evans was recently in the movie 'Cellular', and Ioan Gruffudd was Lancelot in the new King Arthur movie.

10. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Ioan Gruffudd was also very good in the TV series 'Horatio Hornblower'

11. Newfie Banned

The Punisher wasn't bad? John Travolta was his usual lousy self and the scene where the hitman comes in and starts playing the song for the punisher just says it all. Utter ridiculous movie. It didn't even deliver as an action flick.

12. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I am inclined to agree that The Punisher was dissapointing. Even more so since this was the second attempt at making this comic into a movie (1989's Punisher with Dolph Lundgren was also bad).

I always find myself looking forward to comic book movies but usually find myself dissappointed. I did like the two X-men movies, as well as Spiderman 1 and 2, but didn't like Daredevil or Hellboy. The Hulk was truly abysmal!

So, while I'm definitely looking forward to Fantastic Four (as well as Constantine), I don't have any real high hopes for it.

13. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Thanks for the advice on "The Punisher". But I saw it anyway. When you are really prepared, it still is a miserable movie, I hope they will never make a sequel- :mad:

Edit:
    And I really hope that FF is better than this !

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Personally, I still think that the Dolph Lundgren version of the Punisher was much more entertaining. They were both really bad but at least Dolph's version was amusingly so while the new version was just forgettably dull and bland.

Getting back to the Fantastic Four, we really don't have much to go on so far except for the visual appearance of the film - and quite frankly I am thoroughly not impressed.

From what I saw in the trailer the special effects didn't look at all impressive to me - in fact they looked surprisingly fake given modern technology. The scenes with the Human Torch were particularly bad.

Also, you really don't want to get me started on the make-up/costume department - but I guess I will go there anyway ;) .

What really has stood out in my mind from the trailer, set photos etc. is how horribly bad the Thing looks. The Thing does not look like a man with skin made out of rock - he looks like a man wearing a cheap latex rock suit. For the life of me I don't know why they didn't use CG ala Gollum or the Hulk instead of a cheap suit. Heck, if they did decide on using a rubber suit couldn't they have gone to Toho or someone else who knows how to design one that looks good?

15. Newfie Banned

Just look forward to Iron Man and Ghost Rider.

16. Zurga Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ioan Gruffudd? How do you pronounce that? And is he the right stuff for Mr. Fantastic?
    As for Jessica Alba. She is a hottie but I can't picture her as The Invisible Woman.

17. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm looking forward to any comic movies that are coming out soon, ESPECIALLY the Ghost Rider movie, he's my all-time favourite comic character.

As for The Punisher, I expected something a bit camp and corny (and got that in spades) but I certainly wasn't expecting the rubbish that it was. Though I will say that I enjoyed it for what it was - a low-grade vehicle for some spectacular visual effects. The Russian was completely ridiculous, but seeing as this was based on a comic book, it was interesting to see how bad a comic looks when translated to the screen while completely keeping comic book-style action and events.

Iron Man I'm kinda dreading because last I heard Tom Cruise was signed on to play Tony Stark/Iron Man and he's way too short.

The Fantastic Four I'm really looking forward to because I'm a big fam of Julian McMahon after getting hooked on Nip/Tuck, of Michael Chiklis after his old series The Commish and the current The Shield, and Jessica Alba is always 'pleasant' to watch.

Anyone heard anything on The Black Panther with Wesly Snipes?

18. Newfie Banned

Nope, Tom isn't playing Iron Man. I read it somewhere that he read the script and didn't like it. You can't really go by actors. Who thought Tobey McGuire would pull off Spider Man?

19. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

What do you mean you can't picture her as Invisible Woman? Just imagine she's not there. Hehe, just kidding. :D

20. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The script for F4 was leaked some time ago on the net and it is absolutely terrible! The bad script would be enough to insure another dreadful C2F adaption but add to this the horrible Thing costume and the casting of Jessica Alba as Sue Storm and you are drifting into 'Catwoman' territory.

Batman Begins looks to be VERY promising however. They are reinventing the franchise with a Year One-esque story. Christian Bale IS Batman and casting Gary Oldman as Gordon and Liam Neeson as Ducard, Morgan Freeman as Lucious Fox, Ken Wantabne as Ras Al Gul...I don't want to say "can't miss" but it would be pretty hard to screw this one up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.