1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Evil Sasser Worm...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, May 5, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Grr! This stupid worm must be out for my computer. I ended up removing it, and it's variants about five different times...even after I downloaded the patch from Microsoft. I finally downloaded the Zone Alarm Firewall, and so far so good, even at www.dewu.com, which is the only site I was at the first time my baby got infected. Easy to remove manually, but it sure is a pain in the butt. :rolling:

2. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yeah, what a worm. It took out most of the company's PC last Monday.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yep, I got nailed too.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Am I the only one that has not been nailed by these things?

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Guess, you are Rastor ;)

I got the same one too. Darn annoying. Though i rarely get anything else, besides the infamous Blaster a few months ago. I've no firewall or anti-virus program and it works completely fine. :)

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I've not been hit, but I'm running Mcaffee so I think that's kept me clear. <cross fingers>

7. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've been spared so far as well, though I run Norton Anti-virus and the Zone Alarm firewall at home.

*Keeps fingers crossed*

P.S. - We just had a scare here at the office when a coworker's screen went all blue but for a small window proclaiming that the PC had been infected by Sasser.D. Turns out that it was some sort of spyware trying to sell something. :mad: *Grrrr* Had two security people show up in less than 2 minutes from the time the call was placed.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    ROOOFL! Opportunists playing on the gullible.
    Most salesmen I'm afraid.

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have not been affected. I have no Anti-Virus or Zone Alarm simply because you don't need them.
    I use only Kerio Personal Firewall. Never had a virus or anything like since I installed it. It is free btw.

10. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Win 98 here :)

No worm problems for me!

11. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

well i got windows 98 hehe, thank god, now having a really old computer helped me, so im totally clean for the silly worm :)

12. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Win2K here, with Norton and Zone Alarm on and no problems yet.

13. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] This is why I haven't upgraded from Win 98 (all the evil virusses forget about it, they're planning to let it die of old age - like an old person :confused: stupid similie, but alliteration just then).

14. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It hit me right when i was playing Neverwinter Nights. I opened my Task Manager to see what the hell was going on and some avserve.exe process was taking up 97% of my cpu and i was like nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! I downloadeded avast antivirus (an excellent antivirus freeware) ditched my old one, turned off system restore and scanned. Sasser had invaded my poor comp and wreaked a little havoc. i fixed it and cursed Mackey for the lot of it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.