1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The ending questions <spoilers>

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Voy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Voy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I heard from people that this game is great, but I didn't expect I will be so immersed in this game and moved in the end. In fact only after a good sad movie I'm really in a mood like that.

- How did you feel about the ending; were you sad or depressed?

- Is this ending is really bad?
    I just realised maybe this isn't a bad ending after all, you got your soul back but you also have your body. I think just like Morte TNO can be freed/summoned/escape. At least that is my belief that when you finish game you can school a bunch of fiends with your left hand.

- Would ever like to see a sequel of PST?
    I have mixed feelings about that; because it would be nothing like original but if there's a chance story would of quality(I'm an optimist) then I would love to try. Probably be disappointed but w/e. Plus you could hook up with Annah Skull and Dak'kon again :D, seriously these three were just great characters, can't think of any other game which had better npcs.

2. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    I would love to see another game based in Planescape but leave TNO's story alone.

3. Voy Gems: 5/31

That's a thing with sequels you know they ain't gonna be as good as the first part but still you play/watch them(at least many people do); like for example new starwars trilogy. Obviously most of the stories get worse even if it's intended that it will be a trilogy etc.
    As of now I'd prolly turn to the dark side and want a sequel; but as I mentioned I know there's a bigger chance than not that i would be seriously disappointed.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I thought the entire story, including the ending was masterful. This game breaks so many of the CRPG molds and ends up being so much better for it.

I think it's a sort of happy ending, yes. NO has finally broken the cycle, regained his mortality, and now has to face punishment for his deeds, which he seems to embrace. If I followed the story correctly, that punishment will not necessarily be eternal. Once he dies in the blood war, he will come back as a mindless Lemure or something... unless he dies on another plane, which as I recall, will allow him to truly die. At least, I believe I remember something being said to that effect during the game -- I think it was during the lecture on the Blood War in the Civic Festhall that this came out. At any rate, I'm pretty sure there's a way to prevent this from being an eternal punishment, and NO is just the kind of guy who can work the loopholes to his favor.

I think NO could become one of the greatest warlords ever to fight in the Blood War. He'll probably enjoy himself for a good long time, and when he's had his fill, find some way to find oblivion. NO has been alive for too long. The True Death is what seems most fitting for him, once he's paid his penance.

5. Voy Gems: 5/31

Well it looked like they kept their options opened for part2; at least dialogue with FFG hints it

Ending was weird to me, if i would merge with my mortality i would expect to live until I get killed. TNO was probably middle-aged man when he came to Ravel so it makes no sense that he dies in the end, UNLESS he's sucked into abyss because of his 'sins' but doesn't really die.

But yes I agree the story was great, you don't see that in games very often.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nameless One wasn't allowed to live. He had cheated the natural forces, and with his mortality restored, those forces knew exactly where to find him. It was those forces that immediately sent him to the lower planes.

If NO convinces the Transcendant One to reunite with him, NO will explain this to at least one of his companions. I don't recall which. Annah, maybe.

7. Voy Gems: 5/31

Yeah i know they had to put some reasoning behind it but still it just doesn't feel convincing to me. Plus Morte cheated death too, if you look at it this way.

8. Marceror

Media:
    Since this is all made up stuff anyway, it seems reasonable that the gods couldn't inflict a mortal's punishment on an immortal, but would move in at the first opportunity to exact justice. It was said many times that the Nameless One's actions had caused great suffering and torment throughout the planes. I can see the gods wanting to remove such a threat as soon as possible before more destruction might be wrought.

Morte, on the other hand, what did he do? He was responsible for one of the Nameless One's many deaths. His cheating death probably isn't nearly on the scale of concern for the gods as was the Nameless One's.

Also, having the NO wreathed in flames and sucked into the Blood War makes for a far more dramatic ending than having him hitch up with Annah and raise a family of fiendlings.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The fortress was built from the regrets of one man.

That man is now whole, mortal, strong, dragged from a plane that no longer has the belief to fuel it he is dragged to hell until such a time he is killed by the weight of war itself.

10. Voy Gems: 5/31

what happens if he dies there according to dnd rules ?

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] he then either would become a petitioner or become one with the plane. My bets would be become one with the plane, the risk of his petitioner incarnation would be too high that mistakes would be repeated.

12. Voy Gems: 5/31

what is a petitioner :S ?

13. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] A petitioner is when someone from the prime dies and is reincarnated on the plane closest to their alignment, after they live that life they merge with the plane after death. If they die on a different plane there's some berth as to whether they merge with whatever plane they were on when they died, whether they merge with the plane closest to their alignment (arguably non canon) or they cease to exist altogether.

Petitioners don't generally retain memories of previous lives like TNO originally faced, but there are instances where someone will have flashbacks or visions of previous lives.

14. Blothulfur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Got to admit torment is the only game to ever really make me care for the characters and base my actions upon my characters guilt and regret while the nameless ones doom seemed eminently right.
    As for a sequel i'm in two minds because so often they damn well break our hearts but I always thought a good idea would be following Trias the betrayer as he is cast down into mortality to seek redemption for his sins or fall even further into damnation.

15. Voy Gems: 5/31

cool idea tbh

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.