1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Election (no, the Other One)

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Splunge, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK, so everyone’s talking about the US election, but what most people outside of Canada probably don’t realize is that we’re having a federal election too. Oh joy.

The Conservatives, who currently have a minority government, recently passed a law which called for fixed election dates every 4 years, and so the next election was set for October 2009. Naturally, they decided the law doesn’t apply to them, and so they decided to call for an election next month instead because, even though this election will likely result in another minority government, the Conservatives were afraid they’d loose if they waited until next year since the economy is in some trouble.

So the players are:

The Conservatives, led by Stephen Harper. Their strategy is twofold. First, they are running commercials to make it look as though Harper is actually human; quite amusing, really, since this is this same guy whose idea of a warm photo-op is to send his young son off to school with a handshake. Second, they are attacking the Liberal Party policies. So far, they aren’t talking about their own policies.

The Liberals, led by Stephane Dion. They really should have found a leader who can speak English (Dion’s hearing impairment excuse notwithstanding), or at least someone with a personality. Their strategy will focus on bashing the Conservatives.

The New Democratic Party, led by Jack Leighton. Why they haven’t replaced this pompous windbag yet is beyond me. Their strategy is to try to get people to actually notice them.

The Bloc Quebecois, led by Gilles Duceppe. Not a factor outside of Quebec, and oddly enough is losing ground to the Conservatives. I have no idea what their strategy is, but it's probably similar to that of the Liberals.

The Green Party, led by Elizabeth May. Their strategy is to try to be part of the official leader debates, despite the fact that they haven’t won any seats in the House of Commons and don’t have official party status.

This whole election is pretty pointless, and it’s going to be one big yawnfest.

So, the floor is open to the one or two SPers who might want to comment. Personally, I’m going to check into whether I can vote in the US election if I promise not to vote in ours.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Canada, eh? You mean the yet to be incorporated 51st-59th states of the USA? (I know there are actually 10 Canadian Provinces, but we don't want Quebec - way to Frenchy.)

Kitrax likes this.
  3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is Stephane related to Celine?

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Sounds like they're taking their cues from the American Democratic party.

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Sounds like politics as usual to me. I'd go for the Conservatives if only because they are talking about someone's policies. Honestly, that's rather rare in politics and should be encouraged whenever it pops up. The only reason it happens in US Presidential elections is because the media need something to chew on.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yep, it's pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. Which is why it's so boring. What bugs me more than anything is that there was no reason to call this election, and waste hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars in the process.

P.S.: Hey, Art. Long time no see! (Well, technically, I've never seen you, but you know what I mean.) :wave:

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Actually, Splunge, there IS a reason to call the election now--Stephane Dion has started talking about a carbon tax that would cause gas prices to jump dramatically!

So the choices are:

Steven Harper, Think Al Gore with less personality and a conservative platform and strong belief in family values. Harper is also the first Prime Minister born outside of Quebec to last more than a year in office since the 60's.

Stephane Dion, who Butchers English almost as bad as Jean Chretian and is a knob of John Kerry proportions. And he's another candidate from Quebec...

Jack Layton, A pompous windbag that just might be the best the NDP have to offer...

Gilles Duceppe, who represents a party who's sole policy is Quebec Seperation. Some days he'd get more support outside Quebec from people that want them to go so we wouldn't have to hear them whine!

There are about 8 to 10 other recognized parties that have no hope of ever getting a seat in parliament...

I'm calling a Conservative Majority. Dion is a Knob, and his Carbon tax is a death knell to the Liberal party that's reeling from a major scandal and the legalization of Gay Marriage. The NDP get support, but not enough to be a major player in Ottawa, and the Bloc only campaigns in one province--which traditionally has supported the Liberals. As much as I'd like to see a couple Green party candidated in Ottawa, I just don't see them getting the support in any given riding to get elected.

8. Splunge

Media:
    I don't want to turn this into another gay marriage thread, but I don't think the Liberals are reeling from its legalization. It hasn't been a topic for discussion in Canada for quite some time now, and most of the people who still hold a grudge are Conservative anyway, and would vote Conservative no matter what. Plus it certainly isn't going to be an issue in the election - no party is going to make a big deal out of it and risk alienating the voters who are in favor of gay marriage.

I agree, however, that it will likely be a Conservative minority, partly due to the Liberal Greenshift plan, and partly due to the fact that Dion only has 1 point in Charisma.

Edit: Oops, I just noticed that Gnarff is pridicting a Conservative majority, not minority, so I guess we're in disagreement there.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Canada is the only country to defeat us when we invaded them. Technically they didn't defeat the United States of America because it didn't exist but who ever they still won. It would make a great addition to the USA. Quebec should be included since we already have Spanish as a second language why not add French?

Oh, Politics. That is the topic. I predict a Conservative minority as I doubt that Canadians are any more excited about the election than we are about ours.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm betting on another Conservative minority government, unless the East decides to stick it to Alberta again and go with the Liberal's poorly named GreenShift policies (they got sued by a company actually named Greenshift for copyright infringement -- looks like they didn't do their homework!)

Layton seriously thinks his neo-commie NDP party has a chance of forming a government. What a complete and total douche. Pardon my French, there, but seriously, he must have been smoking a little too much of the Mary Jane his party is so keen to legalize. Almost no one in Canada trusts the NDP. Their "tax the rich, handout to the lazy, and hug a thug" policies don't even fly in the Maritimes, let alone in Central and Western Canada. The guy is an idiot squared.

And don't get me started in that starry eyed fool Elizabeth May. A lot of people may want cleaner air but they're not going to shoot themselves in the foot for marginal gains, and they're sure as hell not going to elect someone as dissassociated from reality as this Greenpeace reject. Her collection of losers doesn't have Official Party status, and she's still crying to blues (or should I say the Greens) because she wasn't invited to the leaders debate. Well, guess what, cupcake, rules are rules, and you don't qualify. Go hug a tree or something.

As for the Quebec nationalists, I don't know why they even bother. Talk about :deadhorse: There's been referendum after referendum and they lose every time. Why won't they shut up? I feel like John Cleese sometimes "shut up, Shut Up, SHUT UP!!!" and then the machine gun starts going!

Dion's pathetic English and whopping 1 Charisma (thanks for the inspiration, Splunge!) means he'll never succeed at bringing significant numbers of swing voters over based on his leadership. As I said at the beginning his only hope is to get Ontario, Quebec and Maritimes voters who are jealous of Alberta's natural resource boom to vote to screw the West. And if he does that, he's a fool -- a leader should unite the country, not rip it apart in a mad grab for power.

Harper has the edge on Dion in Cha -- Harper's running at a 3! Pathetic. Almost as pathetic as his lame commercials. But he has some fulfilled campaign promises to trumpet, and he does get things done. His recognition of Quebec as a unique entity within Canada was pretty slick and shut the "separatistes" up for a few weeks at least. So his party gets my vote unless the local rep is a COMPLETE idiot, in which case I don't know what I'll do.

11. Splunge

Media:
    Well, it looks like her whining has paid off - Elizabeth May is now going to be able to participate in the debates.

12. Gnarfflinger

That's not my intention either, but I remind you that unlike politicians, Voters remember a time BEFORE the last election. Those that were pissed off at the Liberals, NDP and Bloc over the issue will remember that and may not support these parties because of it.

I am. For once, the parties put on a good show because they want something from us!

Agreed. Sure we need to hear from them, and occasionally they have a good idea, but the best they can hope for is a prime smooching spot on Dion's ass. BTW: I believe that there are some complete and total douches that would take offence at being likened to the NDP...

I thought that was the Liberals that wanted to legalize it. It got headlines because it was one of the parties that people actually take seriously. Either way, What do you have to be smoking to vote for either of those parties?

The Value of the Green Party is that they likely have a platform and a plan for what can be done about the environment. It's likely less realistic then anything you see on South Park or Family Guy, but there could be some useful ideas that can reduce teh damage being done to the environment. Could it be that their message is lost because of their leader?

I thought they were there for the money...

Which is why Harper hasn't been afraid of the Liberals to begin with. Then tack on the Carbon Tax that will drive up Gas prices and utility bills, thus driving up the cost of everything else as the ripple effect, you have the perfect time to crush the Liberals in a Federal election.

But how many would actually vote for Dion? There might have been Liberal candidates that could pull it off, but not this jackass.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Follow this link here to see some really dumb moves by the politicians.

Calling Natives drunk is a bad, bad idea!

14. Splunge

Media:
    They've been saying stupid things like that ever since the Reform Party days. At one point, after the last election, Harper put the muzzle on everyone in an attempt to put a stop to these sorts of comments. Oh well, some things never change - once a redneck party, always a redneck party.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Hey! I is proud to be a redneck! I try harder than some of my brethren to be Politically Correct, or at least respectful, but I can understand the frustration a fellow might feel that would cause him to, *ahem* call a spade a spade.

But should you give in to that frustration, you will pay the price for your sin IN FULL!

16. Gnarfflinger

Just because a few candidates said stupid things, they still are no match for the Liberals, who did a really stupid thing in electing Stephane Dion their leader, or the NDP who did the stupid thing of joining the NDP...

My prediction of a Conservative Majority has not changed.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'd like nothing better than a Conservative majority, Gnarff - -I mean I AM from Alberta, after all. But it's not likely to happen. Too many small "l" liberals who believe that instead of working hard to succeed, it's better to find someone ELSE who has worked hard and take away what he has. Too many people who are so busy being "tolerant" that they let in criminals and freeloaders instead of hard workers who will actually contribute to the country. Too many people who would rather take away guns from innocent farmers than actually punish the people who commit crimes and keep society safe.

It'll be another minority, I'm afraid.

18. Gnarfflinger

But LKD: Who do these small "l" liberals have to look to? Stephane Dion, who is a knob who has no charisma, and poor English. And Jack Layton is just a pompous windbag. I say that adds 25 seats tot he Conservatives right there. That's enough to give them the majority in spite of the recent verbal screwups by Harper's candidates...

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

God help us if too many people look to Elizabeth May -- she wants to let off murderers because they are under 18. I hate her so much.

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What should then be done? I guess the age of majority is 18 in Canada as well as here? If they are under 18 they are technically children and although I am not in favour of "letting them off the hook" different rules need to apply to children. If we deem them too immature to vote and take part in our society how can we then deem them to be mature enough to take full responsibility for their actions no matter how vile?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.