1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Devil is busy!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by BogiTheWaverer, Sep 14, 2001.

1. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] And do you trust the site that you got the picture? I have seen a similir devil face in everything from cookies to testicles. And that has been in those weird weird world magazines. And they were almost identical so either they are real wich doubt or they are a very common fake. It could be that its a very usual pattern i nature but i dont believe in that the devil would show himself in burst off cloud. I dont really believe in the devil at all.

3. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I do not believe in the devil, neither as a person nor spiritual. It's sarcasm that i am using to handle such tragedies that would drive me insane if i let them unfiltered to my mind and my heart.

4. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] obviously fake......

5. Rendelius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Not fake.

Go to CNN.com, look at the movie from the second crash and stop the movie in the right moment. Unless the CNN movie is fake, the thing you see is real.

However, this doesn't tell anything. It is what your mind puts into a picture, not what is there. Try it with clouds.

So don't get scared, just watch it as a sign of human capabilities :)

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Of course you need to be scared. Be scared of humans.

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Have you ever heard of a Rorshack (sp?) image? The true image is in the eye of the viewer. You get out of it what's in you mind. With that said what's floating aroundd in your inner self?

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmmm... Looks like the Devil could stand to lose a few pounds!

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Does any one else believe that the concept of a supreme evil being influencing the actions of man is merely an exteralisation of mans fears?
    The idea came to me when i read Lord of the Flies where a group of children crash on an island during a war and all the adults in the plane are killed, they then form their community. Of course, when one 'see's' a monster, a whole way of belif springs up around it. They even imagine that a dead pilot from a fighter plane that bailed out and landed on the island is ther monster.
    A freak chance nothing else, and i do believe that what you want to see and your imagination can influence it all. Humans were responsible for this, and it was what was in their hearts and their belifs that guided them, not a big red guy with horns and a tail.

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I agree Vermillion. Masshysteria is a powerfull enemy. Very hard to distinguish from real ones.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Another face on Mars?

12. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Hmm. Amazing what people notice.

I agree that it is what was in those terrorists' minds and hearts that caused this tragedy. Of course, that by no means rules out the devil's influence.

13. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] I had my disbeliefs but go here and scroll down to bottom and choose second attack, you can see it plain as day...
    http://www.cnn.com

That is freaky. But on to more important things...

Is the devil something contrived from our fears, a mytholgocial being, or does he exist? As a christain I believe he does exist but this image of a little red guy with horns and a tail has got to go. That makes the devil seem like a joke or a fairy tale. Well the devil is neither. He is a deciever and the father of lies, a fallen angel from God's presence. And he knows he is doomed (Jesus died on the cross, rose again 3 days later and defeated death) and he is deterimined to take as many people with him as he can. Want to read about Satan's fate, then pull out the Bible and turn to the last book, Revelation.

Another author put it like this:

We are told in Revelation 12:9 that he is the one who "decieves the whole world" (NKJV) or who "leads the world astray" (NIV). He uses deception as a means of control over people.

<The author continues>
    Deception is a very clever and effective tactic, because if someone attacks you, you know it. You can defend yourself, whether the attack is verbal or physical. If someone tempts you, you know it. You have a choice to make. ***But if someone deceives you, you don't know it. If you knew it you wouldn't be deceived. You accept what is being told to you as the truth and proceed to act on it. At many times we recognize that we hav been deceived, but our pride keeps us from admitting it.

<The author talks more about how Satan is the master of deception...>

Satan does not want the transforming process to take place <my note: the author is refering to being saved and trusting in Jesus as our savior>. He knows that if he can control what we believe, he can control how we live. Demagogues, dictators, and cult leaders have used this tatic for years, but it all began with the devil himself. Paul <another writer of many books in the Bible, writing inspired by God> said that with such evil leaders it is a case of "deceiving and being deceived" (2 Timothy 3:13). Satan first deceives the leaders, and they in turn deceive others. Saying they were deceived does not excuse them. We are all responsible for what we think and chose to believe.

When we look at cults and dictatorships <my note: or radical terrorist groups> from the outside, it seems amazing to us that people can be led into bondage to ideas that are patently false. But this is the way deceit works. The lie is told so convincingly and so often that it soon seems to be true. It is a time-tested method of controlling people, and none of us is exempt from this possibility.

Consider the fact that this process began in the Garden of Eden - a place where there was no sin, no fallen nature, nothing evil. God created the garden and the people in the garden "very good." Then Satan came into the scene and notice the approach he used. His aim was to get Adam and Eve to question God's Word. First he tried a big lie. "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from ANY tree in the garden'?" (Genesis 3:1, emphasis added). That was obviously false, so Eve told him that they could eat fruit from all the trees of the garden except the one in the middle of the garden; if they ate from that tree they would die. By letting Eve give a correct response to the first question, Satan set her up for where he really wanted to lead her. In Eve's response, she added the words, "You must not touch it." These were not in God's original instructions, and we get into trouble when we add or subtract to what God says.

Satan's second approach was not a question but a statement. "'You will not surely die,' the serpent said to the woman. 'For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." (Genesis 3:4-5). The temptation had two appeals. The first was to suggest that God could not be trusted, and had told them something that was not true. The second was the appeal to self-interest in suggesting that they could become like God. Satan had become the fiend that he was by trying to be like God (see Isaiah 14:12-15; Matthew 4:9; and 2 Thessalonians 2:4). Now he was suggesting that possibility to the man and woman God had created in his own image.

The crucial issue is, what did Eve believe about God? The minute she entertained the idea that God could not be trusted implicitly, all things changed for her and ultimately for Adam and the rest of us. If God could not be trusted on the issue of trees in the garden, he could not be trusted for anything. If they needed to use their own judgement about the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, they would need to use their own judgement about everything else as well. That was a staggering concept - one they were not equipped to handle.

If such deception could happen in a perfect place like the Garden of Eden, it certainly can happen to us in the fallen world in which we live. That is why Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ." (2 Corinthians 11:3). Even in the church age we are vulnerable that is why Jesus prayed, "My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth." (John 17:15-17). We do not overcome the father of lies by human reasoning or scientific research. We do it with the truth revealed to us in the Bible.

Please think about this...the devil is no joke.

14. Rendelius Gems: 1/31

Ah, no I have to holdmyself back :)

The subject of if the bible is god's word, what is in it and what not, where most of the stories in the bible come from (did you know that the story of Moses on the Nile - with changed names - can be found in Assyrian texts that are more than 2000 years older than the bible?), the history of the "konzile", where parts of the texts that were in the bible so far have been removed - I could go on for hours :)

My personal opinion is that the bible is a collection of very philosophical, very beautiful (psalms), very intelligent and heartful texts, but it is human and not god given.

And does the devil exist? Of course not, IMHO. Not in person. It's a symbol of these parts of the human being we have a hard time to control. But there is no mean looking, horned guy who likes fire and wants to toss us away from the white bearded, merciful being.

BTW - which bible? There are quite a couple of them: roman catholic, protestant, orthodox - the old testament, the new one, et cetera et cetera. And why is the part written by Thomas removed from the roman catholic one in the year 300? Anyone read that? Some theologists consider it to be the oldest one, and the most truthful one.

15. OMG

/me slaps her forehead in dispair. What's with all the religion?! It's not like we're going to go to hell if we don't believe in god. That picture looks like a fat cat who's holding a f*cking umbrella shaped as a scythe.

16. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] And I should hold myself back, not from you my friend, I respect what you say, but from the devil becuase I see his work everyday it makes me mad! :mad: But I also see God's work and that comforts me knowing Satan's days are numbered.

Which proves that the devil does not sit on his butt. He is actively decieving people. You ask well why hasn't God done anything about it? He has done something about it, about 2000 years ago, God sent Jesus, the only man ever to be born without a human father, to serve humanity and ultimately die on the cross for us, defeating death and Satan. Well now what? Read the Bible, most of the New Testament is Paul's writings to the people of the world in how to act and what to do as we wait Jesus' second coming. There is also Revelation to wrap things up and give us a glimpse of the future. Satan is always one to point out that Christains still sin, we are still human, we still make mistakes. And boy does Satan jump on this. He points it out to non believers all the time so that they are blinded by it and see nothing else, just what he wants. Satan also likes to point out that there are similar works and that the Bible is just one more in the group. Can we trust our dating??? We are humans for crying out loud we make mistakes. In the past one hundred years we have come a long way. We think we can explain it all, that we got it all figured out. If we can explain it all, if we have it all figured out than tell me why we couldn't stop a few hijackers from doing what they did Tuesday...technology not good enough!!?!?! If we are so on top of things why do we still die? Why are there still sicknesses we can't prevent. What are numbers? Nothing, just something we contrived. What is science? Something we contrived to explain why things work. And you can see we don't always do a good job of it. It's the whole Garden of Eden thing all over, Satan says we can get the answers for ourselves. Before then humans couldn't die, the world was perfect, it was peaceful. But because of some punk angel who thought he was better than God got kicked out of heaven and wanted revenge, deceived mankind and continues to deceive mankind. Satan does exist.

17. Rendelius Gems: 1/31

Devils work?

Could you embrace the thought that it's not "the devil", but "us", "us", "us"? :)

Hey, we don't need no stinkin' devil to be the cruel fools we are :)

18. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

So what you guys are saying, is that the image only looks like the devil because we percieve it that way? That's a relief, because I was getting worried about that 666 birth mark on my ass.

19. Rendelius Gems: 1/31

And: I truly think there was no garden eden, not in the sense that there was a place like it. Humans were always mortal, and PLEASE don't tell me you believe we all are children of Adam and Eve. PLEASE don't tell me you are a creationist - it's so hard to understand that some people still believe in this kind of stuff, because it is really weird after all we have learnt about the past.

And one more thing: It's not knowledge that makes us so vulnerable for evil deeds, it is, and this is my firm believe, egoism and the inability to respect every being as our brother or sister. In fact, we know very little, so the little we know should be considered valuable. We are far from understanding our world or our existence, but I think we shouldn't just believe, but always ask questions and seek answers.

20. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I disagree. I believe there is an original source of both good and evil. Hence the odd dual nature of human beings.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.