1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Death of Firkraag

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Blackthorne TA, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Let me first say that I probably should've waited until I had higher levels to make the attempt, but after a few trys and a bit o' luck, I was successful in vanquishing the foul red dragon!

My party:
    Blackthorne - L12 Archer
    Jaheira - L10/12 Fighter/Druid
    Minsc - L12 Ranger
    Valygar - L12 Stalker
    Yoshimo - L16 Bounty Hunter
    Aerie - L10/11 Cleric/Mage

I think the key to the successful attempt was to have the party well spaced out surrounding the dragon so his area effect spells only catch 1 or 2 people. And the bit o' luck I mentioned was that Valygar (my man!) made every one of his saving throws!

I had Minsc attack from behind with the dragon slayer halberd, Valygar attack from the front with all the dragon slaying/ fire resisting stuff out of the Windspear dungeon (sword, shield, ring, helmet), Blackthorne attack from one flank with called shot/ice arrows, Yoshimo firing invisible arrows from behind Valygar, Jaheira summoned some cave bears then fired +2 bullets on the other flank, and Aerie threw spells from behind Minsc.

The spells Aerie used were (in order): lower resistance, feeblemind (which didn't work), a spell trigger with 2 magic missiles in it, 2 more magic missiles, then when he was almost dead, 6 charges from a lightning wand to finish him off!

Valygar took the most significant damage, but only from the direct attacks of the dragon, and had to quickly gulp a couple of extra healing potions to remain alive. Firkraag tried to lower his fire resistance, charm him and a few other things, but he managed his save against all of them! Then the firebreath did no damage since he was still protected, and only the cave bears besides Valygar were within the blast radius.

Everyone else took damage only due to the wing buffets... I must say that dragon has a very low armor class; everyone missed more often than not, and Jaheira was missing on rolls as high as 18 I think (over twenty with the plusses added in)...

Oh! And Sylvus you'll be happy to hear that on one of my unsuccessful attempts, I let Yoshi lay down the 8 snares he now has, and Firkraag was completely resistant to all the damage from them...

The "talk the dragon to death" scheme does work, but was way too unsatifying to let stand, so I immediately reloaded after trying it out...

Loot:
    1 potion of strength
    1 bloodstone ring
    1500 gold
    1 cloak of the shield
    1 Carsomyr +5
    red dragon scales
    64000 experience points

That's about it! Whew that was fun! :)

2. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I did it with 3 lower resistance spells and my main, minsc and vaylgar on differnt sides... barely ever hit, but when i did, I did 20 damage a shot.

3. someonebored Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I just bought a finger of death scroll, used greater malsion and got lucky.

4. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Great Job! My first time through BG2 I laid traps and only one did any damage. But you hit on something that saved my party that time through, Lightning wands.

I had Nalia and Aerie equipped with them and after a few scrolls of Breach and the like I let go a couple of streaks each by them and that was all that was needed. Great strategy used by your party!

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks! I had a lot of fun on that one. :)

6. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The most usefull weapon against dragons I can think of is that magical sword that can attack on its own. (the one the mage can cast) If the dragon attacks it it won't be able to kill it so it will only waste its anergy. In the meanwhile your other characters can attack it the way you want them too. Although I must say I only foud that spell once

7. zaknafein Guest

good job and all but whatever you do dont call yoshimo "yoshi"

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] BTA, you still play this game???? :toofar:;)

Good job!

[Wow. Coming up on a year since I wrote that! :) - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited October 15, 2001).]

9. Icecold39 Banned

I havent played Baldurs gate in a long time but i just started a new game with an elf archer ( is it true i cant have a romance with Vicona). On my old game i beat firkagg when my party was around ll 10 without any cheats. It took a couple of days to devolp the right strategy. Sorry i cant remeber alot it was along time ago.

My new game i have an elf archer and i changed his alignment to neutral evil with shadow keeper. I have an evil party. I have Vicona, Jan, and that dwarf with the high hp. Once i got out of the dungeon in the beginning i went too the circus and got the charisma ring and arie. Then we kill that group in waukeen promade. the key is to charm one of the group members with the ring. I went to kill denis and his friends around lvl 9 i had my evil pary by this time. I charmed the cleric with the ring than i had the cleric charm another person that is how i won. I di not cheat at all except for changing my alignment.

I got alot of nice arows and item from jan drinking a couple of thieving potions then we go on a stealen spree. Does an archer do high dmge at higher lvls because now he is doing 13 dmg at lvl 9. Is it true that elves cant have romances with Vicona

[Yes, Elves and Drow hate eachother - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited October 15, 2001).]

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

yes, firkraag's AC must be ridiculously low - the only hits i got in were criticals, and after what seemed like eons, my party of PC (fighter/thief), jaheira, haer'dalis, cernd and aerie only got him down to "injured"

how he died: after multiple doom spams (i didn't have greater malison), aerie let just one chromatic orb fly and petrified the big red beast

needless to say, all his items turned to stone and all that was left was a pile of gold

since i wasnt planning on using carsomyr, i guess it didnt matter, but i was nevertheless quite pleased with the effort of my party (no one had over 90 HP, and no one was a true fighter)

11. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Yeah, I trounced him at around level 10/12 too (after beating on the shadow dragon ;)). Nalia cast Chaos on him and he ran into the corner. Keldorn, Mazzy and Sebastian the ranger proceeded to slap him about until he went down.

12. sorvo Guest

Thats why his "scales" are the best armor in the game! Very low AC.

13. nske Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Truely enough a party around level 10-12 can beat Firkraag eventually without even taking a scratch by using lower resistance spells, lightning bolt staffs and magic missiles while summoned creatures protected with Otiluke's Resilient Sphere keep him busy. Or you can try and do the dirty job yourself counting on your good luck and the "load" button. Personally I consider both ways non fair. Normally a well-developed party should be able to dispose Firkraag with the first try having used all the best -at that time- spells,abilities and items and being severely wounded, which happens about at level 15. Besides, thats the point in battling with a Dragon or a lich: to have a really tough battle and a proper reward. Of course since there are "cheesy" ways of wining it is supposingly "right" for the players to use them, but I still believe Black Isle should have been more predictable in this part.

[This message has been edited by nske (edited October 17, 2001).]

14. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Eh traps do the trick just fine =)

15. C'Jakob Guest

Except for the fact that in real life, a dragon would be seeing a thief set snares around him, sleep, set snares, sleep, etc. :rolleyes:

16. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

yup yup =)

god bless AI :)

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] The date :toofar:

Yes, this one is a spam too. So?

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited March 08, 2002).]

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] All right, all right, quit polluting my topic!

19. cirian16 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Why should we stop?this topic as been resserected twice!and it gives me a chance to say how I was very lucky and changed the shadow dragon to a squirrel with polymorph other.....he was much easier as a squirel.....now to look up how to spell ressurection.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You'll stop because it's his topic and because he's an admin around here. Or you can make another stupid and meaningless post and see what happens to your sorry ass. Just some friendly advice, sage to munchkin.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.