1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The DaVinci Code (the movie)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Kitrax, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't know if any of you have heard, but they are making 'The DaVinci Code' in to a movie! :thumb:

It's directed by Ron Howard, and stars Tom Hanks...here's a longer list of cast members:
    Credited cast:
    Tom Hanks - Robert Langdon
    Audrey Tautou - Sophie Neveu
    Ian McKellen - Sir Leigh Teabing
    Paul Bettany - Silas
    Jean Reno - Bezu Fache

I for one really enjoyed the book, and I'll be first in line to see it! I haven't seen a trailer for it yet, but I know it'll be good.

Anyone else with me? :rolling:

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The book was no better than average and given that movies are very rarely any better than the books, I do not have very high expectations of this movie. The presence of Howard and Hanks is the only factor that might make it worth seeing.

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Haven't read the books yet, so I'll probably hold off until I read them... do I need to read Angels and Demons first?

4. Newfie Banned

I couldn't get past chapter two of the book but I must say, the movie looks promising.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I will hopefully not bow into peer pressure and see it - because I thought the book was crap :) On the other hand - you can't bash something unless you've seen it...

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Book was popcorn
    Movie will be popcorn

Thus it will be great, nothing wrong with some popcorn once in a while.

7. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Its good to see Audrey Tautou getting the recognition that she deserves.

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Eugh, Tom Hanks.

Still, Ian McKellen and Jean Reno. COuld be worth a watch.

WHo am I kidding, I'm gonna see it.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Saber

No you don't. They're totally unconnected except for perhaps 2 references to Angels and Demons which don't spoil it for you.

I'm going to see this. I agree with all the casting calls except the first 2. I'd rather cast Harisson Ford as Langdon and Sophie Marceau(sp?) as err Sophie :D

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Harrison is too old; besides, Han Solo, Indy, Dr. Richard Kimble, Jack Ryan all look the same to me, always the same expresions... but hey, it's just me.
    I liked the book but the end, so I will see the movie for sure, I've seen lots of movies that at the end didn't like me, but hey, like Aikinaro said, "you can't bash something unless you've seen it..."

Some trailers.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The book not-so-good popcorn, so the movie'll probably bad popcorn. And I rank Tom Hanks as one of two most despicable actors in the history of filmmaking (right next to Tom Cruise), so I will most probably not be seeing the movie. Although I admit I have a soft spot for Ian McKellen's acting (he was the best thing about the X-Men movies IMO)

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What's up with Tom Hanks? He's a fantastic actor.

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

@Barmy- There should have been a 'not' in that last sentence

14. Newfie Banned

Tom Hanks arguably may or may not be a great actor, but I would hardly call him despicable. Tom Cruise, sure, he's a loud mouth and a weirdo, but Tom Hanks? I would like to hear the reasoning behind that. The guy made it in Hollywood by playing the sensitive, average joe. How many Hollywood types have accomplished that?

[ January 21, 2006, 18:41: Message edited by: Newfie ]

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree. Hanks rules.

16. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yes, he rocks.

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    That's exactly my problem with him: average.
    I've got nothing against him personally (compared to Tom Cruise, whom I think is also despicable in real life). But I just can't stand his acting, and can't think of a single movie that I enjoyed that had him in it (and no, I don't like Forrest Gump. At all.)

Ok, so maybe "despicable" wasn't the right word. Call it a personal allergy to his acting :)

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I wouldn't know about how Tom Cruise was in real life (except that he is acting like a retarded schoolboy with Katie Holmes now :eek: ) but he was a pretty cool actor :p

C'mon, he was Maverick, David Aames, Nathan Algren and had tons of other cool roles :p

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...now that I think about it, I agree that Harrison Ford would have played a better Langdon. His rolls in the Indi moves as academic are quite good, and when I think of "Robber Langdon" I can picture Harrison Ford more so than Tom Hanks. Both are excellent actors though. :thumb: :rolling:

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I love Tom Hanks, I just don't think he's right for the role. I know isn't the marquee star that Hanks is, but when I read the books I pictured Langdon as James Spader. I definitely wouldn't have gone with Tom Cruise, either.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.