1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Darkest Day

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by GodRules44, Aug 1, 2004.

1. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Unfortunately, as you all know, TeamBG is not up, and I was wondering if anyone had the Darkest Day mod or if they had a link to where I could get it?

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Don't bother. It's honestly not worth it, even if it worked perfectly and didn't crash every six clicks. All it's got is a bunch of kits you'll never play (although the underdark kits ain't too shabby) and recycled areas with tired quests.

3. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

4. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31

5. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hrmph. Mystra's Chosen apparently did not get a good opportunity to make a sound judgement of TDD, as he makes it clear the game wasn't installed properly for him (evidenced by the crashes).

TDD has crashed for me only twice in several months of play. It adds kits (some that suck, a few are cool), and adds TONS of new spells and items (many are useful/interesting).

It also adds several new maps and quests which are fun to play through if you are tired of the regular game quests. The maps are "recylced" primarily from BG1 and Planescape:Torment, so it's a lot of maps you haven't seen in BG2.

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Brucie...

1) I realize now that GodRules44 wanted the ToB version of TDD, which is alot more stable and doesn't crash as much. The version I played way back was the SoA version, which is horrendous.

2) I'd say 95% of the kits are either overpowered to the extreme and/or just plain silly (planewalker theif for instance.)

3) Most of the spells I never ended up using and again, 95% of the items are wayyyy overpowered.

4) IIRC, most of the maps are recycled from BG2. There are a few that are from PS:2 and BG1.

This mod is a powergamers dream, but other than that, it's not particularly interesting or engaging. Also, just for an example, Jarlaxle's (I think it's him. Where you meet up with a drow when you go to the Underdark a second time, not the time you meet him in the original game) dialogue is totally incomprehensible.

7. Blast Skeleton Gems: 4/31

Last time i played BGII and TDD, i noticed a lot of Icewind Dale maps were included as well. ;)

And i agree, it's a crappy mod.

8. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31

I still need a link if anyone has one :-P

9. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Everything you need for your BGII - ToB experience is right here, courtesy of the legendary Icelus.

10. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31

Well, I like TDD. To each his own, but here are some thoughts about it to consider if you wish.

OK, sorry if I implied you installed it wrong. Some people try to play a save-game instead of starting a new game and that won't work with TDD. You've not played the final version of TDD (103A)? Many of those bugs are fixed.

I disagree with 95%. I agree Planewalker is insane, I never used that one. *Some* of the kits/spells are overpowered. You can choose not to use them, for your taste! There are dozens of good spells, several fun balanced kits. You can only play one kit per character - so more than enough new kits for several replays.

Don't use the ones that suck. Player's choice.

Maybe Powergamers like it. You don't have to be one to enjoy TDD mod. I don't powergame -- if anything, the opposite. I place limits, ban cheese items, and use stats as an illustration of character traits and flaws. I don't use those official cheese items (Gaxx, Magi, Intertial Barrier, Cloak, etc.) and I don't use the custom items in TDD that I think are cheesey. TDD has some items that are cool, and add variety to the talismans, armors, spears, etc.

One reason I got TDD (and Tactics) is to add difficulty to my game. To have added quests with a arse-load of upgraded monsters to fight, without me using cheese. When you've played the game a long time it gets easy.

I like TDD because it adds maps, quests, several NPC's with their own quests, and some useful different spells (some spells are so key I forget they aren't part of the original game).

This mod adds a lot of content to the game.

Some dialog is poorly written. Some of it is downright funny. Some of these problems were fixed in 103A version of TDD.

Finally, I give TDD credit for being one of the first major mods on BG2, and also one of the largest (pre-BP).

It's not perfect. It is different, and fun.

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Like you said... to each his own :)

I, along with countless others, do not like this mod. Look in every thread on this board that's about The Darkest Day, and you'll find most people find it irritating.

If it has worked fine for you, then power to ya! :D

BTW, if you want something different for your BG2, then get the Dragonlance mod (in beta testing I believe). I haven't tried it myself, but I'm practically drooling over the screenshots.

12. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31

Hate to tell you this Jaguar, but that takes you to team BG :) the very place that isn't up. Thanks anyway though.

13. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

For those that are hard of reading, I'll post a link to TDD and the other TeamBG mods yet again.

http://iegmc.mirror.intermedia.com.sg/

You'll find it remarkably similar to the one, oh, seven or eight posts up. TDD is in the folder named TDD.

14. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31

Countless people enjoy TDD, however, countless people on this forum have given their reviews of the mod without actually ever playing through it. Don't you just love statistics like "countless"?

Here is a list of the NPC's found in The Darkest Day mod. You decide if you want to play through their quests in BG2:

Adario - New character. Assassin.

Shar-Teel - Returning from BG. Bladeslinger.

Kagain - Returning from BG. Trollslayer.

Xzar - Returning from BG.

Montaron - Returning from BG.

Robillard - New character. Invoker.

Yeslick - Returning from BG.

Avaunis - New character. A cerebral Knight (new Paladin sub class).

Kivan - Returning from BG. Ranger.

Vesine - New character. An aquatic druid.

15. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

IMO, having NPC's from BG1 turn up in BG2 was a dumb idea. I mean, how coincidental is it that all these people just happend to travel hundreds of miles and end up in the same area as you (who, BTW was kidnapped and there's no way they could've known where you went.)

And the kit changes weren't necessary.

And I think I'll put up a poll, just to see whether the people who've played it think it's as good as you seem to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.