1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Dark Eye

Discussion in 'Playground' started by hedron, Aug 3, 2013.

1. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

After playing (and not finishing, yet, so don't give me any spoilers, anyway...) Chains of Satinav, I know it's not an RPG, but it seems to me (maybe I am wrong?) that the world it's been set in hasn't been ruined like the Forgotten Realms setting has. Anyway, I was thinking that going forward this is the best bet for the future of CRPGs.

Thoughts?

BTW, anyone know how well Drakensang sold? vgcharts.com doesn't have the sales figures.

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, I cannot give you sales-number, but Drakensang did quite well here in Germany.
    Well enough to warrant a sequel (that was actually a prequel) and an Addon to said Sequel.

And it revived the Dark Eye franchise for the PC. Which also spawned the game you're currently playing.

Prior to that, the Dark Eye has seen the last CRPG iteration with the Old Northland Trilogy a decade ago.
    So yeah it did us a lot good. :)

As for the development of the Setting, yeah it's quite cool.
    It moves forward in a steady pace resulting in events that have no deus ex machina mechanics.
    But are a natural progression of the main Developers RPG-Gaming sessions.
    The fact that it is Germany's Premium RPG makes writers/developers wary to mess with it to hard. ;)

Looking back on all the books I read in the Setting its like looking back at it's history.
    The dark Eye is also not an high-fantasy setting like D&D is. More like Medieval-RPG setting with fantasy elements and races.

The only real schism in the DSA community is the rule-set. The camps are the Traditionalist of the 2.0 rule set. And the other with the new 4.0.

Since there are more Dark Eyes games coming, I think it's fair to say that things look good for the future.
    So, there you have it...more or less. :)

3. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

That's sort of the way I am with DnD. Aside the feats, I believe the 2ed is far superior to 3ed. I haven't examined the 4ed.

Good. At least I'll have a decent CRPG to look forward to.

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The Drakensang games are great. I have both of the,. Haven`t finished them, though. My computer is too crappy to play them properly. Getting a new one tomorrow, actually.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.